Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: how do you know when your gel is empty?  (Read 966 times)

joziel

how do you know when your gel is empty?
« on: June 08, 2023, 12:19:28 PM »

This might be a really stupid question but I've just switched from patches to gel.

When my bottle of gel starts to run low, how do I know when I'm no longer getting a full measure from it? I mean I think I know roughly what a full blob looks like but I'm not totally sure. Do I just use it until it starts making weird sucking noises.... when do I switch to a new bottle? I don't want to waste any either... but don't want to underdose.

Thx!

Dotty

Re: how do you know when your gel is empty?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 12:24:39 PM »

Depends on how many pumps you use per day….how many pumps do you use ?

joziel

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 12:27:56 PM »

Well the problem is I'm in the process of gradually increasing. I began at 1 pump and now I'm on 1.5 pumps and next week supposed to increase to 2 pumps. Then 6 weeks later, 3 pumps....

So I can't really go by that until I'm on a stable dose...

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 01:06:13 PM »

Hi there are 64 doses in a pump pack so the advice is to stop once you have used 64.

I carry on until it’s empty. Towards the end the pump starts to take longer to come back up which is a sign that it’s running out. Just make sure that the pump has come all the way up before you press it again .

joziel

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 01:37:30 PM »

Thanks

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 01:44:13 PM »

I used a newish bottle alongside an older one so I could compare the amount of gel - though obs only works when you're on 2 pumps or more. I'm not convinced about the 64 measured doses though, I think they can get a bit smaller before that.

Clovie

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2023, 02:17:17 PM »

Yes, I remember having this same problem.
i just pump until it seems 'empty' and open a new canister. Then I leave  empty one standing upright and usually get another pump or thereabouts out of it the next day before chucking it  - It's valuable stuff!  ;D 
back when the NHS had stopped it for me, and I was then having to buy it myself, I even tried hacking the bottom of the bottle off with a serrated knife so I could get any leftovers out - to no avail!  ;D

Wish the bottle was clear so we could see inside it though. That would help a little.

joziel

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2023, 02:21:49 PM »

But when you get that extra pump out of it, how do you know it's a full pump and not some reduced amount!? That's the thing.

Hmmmm

Clovie

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2023, 02:39:54 PM »

But when you get that extra pump out of it, how do you know it's a full pump and not some reduced amount!? That's the thing.

Hmmmm

Lol  ;D I don't!
If it looks 'about right' I'm fine with that!  ;D  ;D

discogirl

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 05:28:34 PM »

I used a newish bottle alongside an older one so I could compare the amount of gel - though obs only works when you're on 2 pumps or more. I'm not convinced about the 64 measured doses though, I think they can get a bit smaller before that.

I found the exact same thing with my gel Sheila99

Gnatty

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2023, 09:24:34 PM »

I stop using it once it slows to come back up again. You could always get some microscales and compare.

Suziemc

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2023, 08:33:58 AM »

I calculate number of days worth in a cannister- they contain 64 pumps worth,  I'm on 3 pumps a day so it's 64÷3 for me. When I start a new cannister I write the date on the bottom with a marker pen and then add what the date will be in 21 days time. This way I know what date should be the last time I use that cannister.

Bit more tricky for you as you're adjusting dose but you could do it, just with a bit more thought once you get towards the date of increase to 3 pumps.

If you think this method might work for you,  it might be worth changing to new cannister when you increase to 2 pumps so you have a starting point (64÷2 means end date 32 days later). Put your current, part used, cannister away in back of cupboard to be used in an emergency if you ever run out.

alibeau

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 12:35:19 PM »

I bought a set of micro scales from Amazon for around £5. 

When I am reaching the end of the bottle I weigh out the pumps to ensure each one is the full 1.25g as I do suspect that towards the end of the bottle the pumps become smaller.  It also means I don't waste any product and I can just keep pumping until I reach the correct dose!

joziel

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 10:25:54 PM »

OMG there are some folks here even more obsessive than me  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So alibeau with the weighing the gel idea, were you finding that towards the end you were getting less out in a pump? Was it much less?

And Suzie I like the idea of writing the date on the bottom of the bottle. I have to increase to 2 pumps this weekend tho, so I'd waste a lot of this bottle. Maybe I just have to do some old fashioned arithmetic... and work out how long this bottle is supposed to last...

alibeau

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2023, 10:28:54 AM »

Hi Joziel,

Luckily I am over my obsession now!  ;D

I wanted to try 3 and a half pumps a short while ago and was obsessing over whether my half pump was accurate….

I have now reverted to my original dose of 3 pumps and so just use the scales when I am at the end of the bottle to avoid throwing any product away.

The dose size did at times differ but only by .1 or .2 if I remember rightly….

Ali x
Pages: [1] 2