Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New here - Hi! :)  (Read 1464 times)

MileyCyprus

• First Flush
New here - Hi! :)
« on: June 07, 2023, 09:47:45 AM »

Hi all, I'm 48 and peri since September. Cycle went from being every 26 days to haywire! Mood swings, sore, dry patches around my eyes, irritability, total lack of energy until insomnia was the final straw. One night I got 2 hours sleep, have 3 teenagers and work every day. Am on my second month of Evorel Sequi.  My first period was super heavy to the point where I felt faint in the night and had to lay on the bathroom floor.  I've had awful restless legs most evenings (which the last time I had was when pregnant in 2009) and really achy hips in bed at night which I am trying to control with Ibuprofen.  Mood is much more stable and energy has returned! However, I also have this awful situation that happens at night when I first fall asleep, I wake up within the first hour (REM?) gulping for air and heart racing.  I've had it since my early 20's but seems to have got a lot worse lately?  Can anyone relate? Has anyone else had restless legs as a result of the HRT or do you think its a coincidence re timing?  Thanks for listening and any advice  :D

Flossieteacake

Re: New here - Hi! :)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 09:53:45 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. The restless legs do seem to be a common thing in meno. It is very uncomfortable isnt it. When you say you fall asleep and wake gasping for air, could it be sleep apnoea? The heart racing is a very familiar symptom and one that comes up a lot on here.

Sorry I could not be of any help but I just wanted to welcome you and say you have come to the right place. You will find lots of support on here. :)

MileyCyprus

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 09:58:38 AM »

Hi thanks for the reply.  I do think it may be mild sleep apnoea. I had a sleep study at St Thomas' hosp about 20 years ago but it came back inconclusive because I didn't get any sleep!  Maybe I have a new GP now so I might follow this up. Thank you for the lovely welcome.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 10:00:46 AM »

Hi thanks for the reply.  I do think it may be mild sleep apnoea. I had a sleep study at St Thomas' hosp about 20 years ago but it came back inconclusive because I didn't get any sleep!  Maybe I have a new GP now so I might follow this up. Thank you for the lovely welcome.

It is a good idea to follow it up.

You are so welcome. :)

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 11:50:28 AM »

If these symptoms have only started since you went on hrt it might be worth trying a reduced dose by cutting a piece off the patch. Some people find they need to increase slowly. I would keep a diary too and see if there's a pattern too it. As you have your own hormones it might be you're on far too much oestrogen at certain times of the month.

SarahT

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 12:33:11 PM »

Hi Miley,
Just wanted to add a hello to you!

I agree with Sheila that a diary is a good idea to log moods and symptoms. Being peri I definitely do find a pattern is noticeable throughout the months as our own cycles usually fluctuate anyway, then add in the hrt as well then the usual ebbs and flows become more noticeable,a  diary helps me realise when they are likely to occur. It can take a while to settle on hrt.

But as you already know there is always someone on this forum to help, support and advice. Welcome!