Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New law regarding pharmacies and progesterone  (Read 1019 times)

Dandelion

New law regarding pharmacies and progesterone
« on: June 06, 2023, 03:42:53 PM »

Hello
I am prescribed 200mg utrogestan every day.
I get 4 boxes of 30, every two months and I have some queries please?
I’m only allowed to request my progesterone every 60 days, me that there is a new law saying that they can only give out 60 capsules at a time.
I am afraid, I am on the autistic spectrum, and I struggle to interpret people, and the pharmacy had to struggle, trying to explain to me that they are not halving my dose.
 As it is law, I accept there is nothing I can do, but I still did not understand what the pharmacist was trying to tell me.
Although I put my request in a week ago, I normally get a text to days late at the most, but there has been a stock issue, which is why I have not had my text.
I am dependent on diazepam utrogestan is cross tolerant with diazepam, so, I need the progesterone, otherwise I will go into withdrawals, there’s lots of terrible progesterone withdrawal experiences over on bemzobuddies, a support forum for people addicted to diazepam and other benzodiazepines.
My GP and gynaecologist both know of the cross tolerance between progesterone and diazepam.
Sorry to moan, but, I don’t know why Besins the manufacturers of utrogestan don’t just make more because I know loads of other women are pi$$ed off with this hrt shortage, seemingly pointless stock problem.
I understand why there was an evorel patch shortage in 2019 due to an ingredient in the glue and if it was not dangerous for me to stop utrogestan due to cross tolerance and withdrawal, I would just give up HRT because this seemingly pointless stupid “problem-with-STOCK” is going on too long and making it not worth my while.

joziel

Re: New law regarding pharmacies and progesterone
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 03:45:32 PM »

As far as I know, the rule is that you can only have 2 months supply at once. So you should have enough. If someone needs 3 capsules a night, they would need more than 2 boxes for example.

I think some pharmacists need to be questioned and pushed because it's becoming a bit like 'only 2 boxes' instead of 'only 2 months supply' - and those are two different things, for some people.

Dandelion

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 06:16:19 PM »

As far as I know, the rule is that you can only have 2 months supply at once. So you should have enough. If someone needs 3 capsules a night, they would need more than 2 boxes for example.

I think some pharmacists need to be questioned and pushed because it's becoming a bit like 'only 2 boxes' instead of 'only 2 months supply' - and those are two different things, for some people.
Hi
Before the law, I was allowed 4 boxes a month, 200mg a day, now the law is in, I will run out in a month, yet I am only allowed to request them every 2 months.
I bled a lot which is why they give me 200mg a day
I find it really stressful phoning the doctors and explaining.
I might see if I can email them.

It's interesting that you say some pharmacists need to be questioned and pushed because it's becoming a bit like 'only 2 boxes' instead of 'only 2 months supply' because, not only did my pharmacy say 60 capsules at once, like a robot, he kept saying "Legally" over and over again.
Are you saying the pharmacist has it wrong?
I only went on Bard, Googles AI chatbot to ask about it, but I must admit, I was out at the time.
Thanks

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 06:30:55 PM »

I'm sorry that this is so distressing for you. This temporary change is due to an SSP being issued to restrict supply of Utrogestan during the current shortage. The same thing happened with Evorel a few months ago. Because you are on a higher than normal dose I think the only way to get your usual amount is to contact your GP. The pharmacies are not allowed to over rule an SSP as far as I know. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/supply-update-hormone-replacement-therapy-medication-utrogestan

Taz x

joziel

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 06:40:08 PM »

If you read it, it says....

"New SSP will limit amount a pharmacist can dispense to no more than 2 months’ supply"

If a woman needs 4x utrogestans a night (let's say), then 2 months supply for her would be 4 boxes.

So yes, I am saying you need to tell the pharmacist they are wrong and they need to re-read what has been issued to them. It is not '2 boxes' it is '2 months supply'.

The whole purpose of this thing is  "to ensure uninterrupted supply of hormone replacement therapy (HRT) medication" - that isn't going to happen if women who need 4x capsules are told they can only have enough for 2.... for eg.

Clovie

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 07:12:33 PM »

What does SSP mean Please, in this context?

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 07:18:18 PM »

It stands for Serious Shortage Protocol.

Taz x

Clovie

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2023, 03:45:35 AM »

It stands for Serious Shortage Protocol.

Taz x

thank you, Taz  :)

Ermin2trude

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 11:10:34 AM »

Hi Dandelion,

I take 200 mg utrogestan every night and therefore need 2 boxes every month. My prescription specifically said 4 boxes and 2x 100-mg to be taken every night for the 2 month supply. My pharmacy didn’t have a problem in giving me the 4 boxes, but it was very specifically written on my prescription. Hopefully your GP will be able to do this for you.

Good luck,
Ermin

KatyB

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2023, 08:46:01 AM »

Sorry Dandelion for the anxiety this is causing. I do find also that pharmacies (and different GPs) can't misinterpret between boxes and months supply. I have sometimes been given e.g 1 month of estradot and 6 months of utrogestan, but not recently, my pharmacist has interpreted the rules as 'get your prescription changed to something we can get hold of'. But you should find a specific note from your GP to your pharmacist would clarify the need for more boxes to cover 2 months supply.

Mary G

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2023, 02:49:08 PM »

Dandelion, I've mentioned this on another thread but there are no Utrogestan shortages here in Spain so if you are worried about your supplies running out, perhaps you can ask someone you know who is travelling to Spain to fill your prescription over here. 

UK prescriptions are accepted here.