Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan for 14 days instead of 12?  (Read 477 times)

Kai_63

Utrogestan for 14 days instead of 12?
« on: June 06, 2023, 01:12:54 PM »

Prompted by a response on another thread I wanted to get thoughts on taking Utrogestan orally for 14 days on, 14 days off which is what my gynaecologist has prescribed rather than the 12 day option.

I’m also on oestrogel 2 pumps and Lovima (progesterone only contraceptive mini pill).

I’ve been getting bleeding almost continuously for 2.5 weeks (mainly while taking Utrogestan, no spotting with mini pill) and crying uncontrollably on the last couple of days of the cycle of taking Utro so wondering why I haven’t been told to take it for 12 days.

I would ask the doctor but it’s private and I have to put a new claim in each time!

sheila99

Re: Utrogestan for 14 days instead of 12?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 01:20:44 PM »

The utro PI says 12 days (or it did last time I looked at it). She might have said 14 because if you use patches it's for 14 days though I suspect this has more to do with patch change day than anything else. I don't know about lovima but there are some BCPs where you can take 2 instead if utro which might suit you better. From other posts on here it seems using utro together with bcp does seem to cause problems. It would be worth trying vaginally which may improve things though it might just be that you have too much progesterone.

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 05:29:06 PM »

First menopause GP I ever saw, when visiting Australia last year, said it is prescribed for 12 days, but lots of women like taking it for 14 because it helps their sleep. Obviously if you are someone who gets on with it, that is! But basically no issue with 14 days. I've never asked a UK GP about it though, so don't know what they'd say.

Kai_63

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 06:31:57 PM »

Thank you! I am not so concerned about sleep, mainly for vaginal atrophy issues. I take vagifem as well (sorry forgot to say) and that combined with being in a reasonably new relationship mean that taking Utrogestan vaginal isn’t ideal  :D

I wonder if I should try 12 days or speak to the doctor about 2 BCP (didn’t know that was an option)!

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 07:04:16 PM »

Oh sorry I misunderstood, I thought you meant you wanted to take it for 14 days, and I just meant that it's okay to do so.