Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hair loss  (Read 736 times)

Sazduggs

Hair loss
« on: June 05, 2023, 07:15:52 PM »

Hi everyone,

I haven’t been on here for ages as I’ve been ticking along nicely.

But this one thing has now got too much.

My hair is shedding…. Badly. I would say I’ve lost 3-4 of its thickness.  Had super thick hair and now it is so thin.

There are no bald patches, it seems to be even all over to someone who doesn’t know me it probably looks ok, nothing obvious on the scalp but my pony tail which used to be the thickness of a 50p is now more like a penny  :( the shower and my hairbrush looks like Bigfoot has been in there!!

I’ve been on pellets for both estrogen and testosterone for 5 years due to surgical hyx at 35.

I thought it was Telogen effluvium but I’m not sure. There is something to with testosterone blocking something like dhe or something like that but I’m not sure….

Anyone know anything that can help me.?

Biotin doesn’t work…. It just causes cystic acne on my face xx

Cara999

Re: Hair loss
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 06:30:17 AM »

Hi, I'm taking collagen, hair gummies and use rosemary oil on my hair to help with this and it definitely seems to be helping. I also use absolute collagen shampoo which is really good, quite expensive but after trying every thickening shampoo going with no results it's by far the best. It's awful to see and feel your hair changing, I've always loved my hair!!!

Hope you find what works for you xxx

laszla

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 11:52:52 AM »

In haste but just to say that selenium and iron might help

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 12:08:35 PM »

Hi Sazduggs - I just wonder if you have had your vitamin D level checked lately? I was suffering the same with loss of hair thickness and brittle breaking off hair. My doctor tested my level due to me also eventually having cramping in my big muscles, muscle weakness, fatigue and low mood. It was found to be low (18) and I was put on a ten week high dose of Vit D followed by a supplement to be taken every day. The result was amazing both in the way I felt but also the difference in my hair. Most of us don't get enough vitamin D here in the UK and even if we are in the sun for the minimum fifteen minutes a day we tend to forget that we have SPF in our moisturisers etc.

Taz x

HellsBells

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 12:43:26 PM »

I was going to suggest iron - see if you can get your iron stores checked. You need ferritin levels of 70+ to stimulate growth. The lower threshold for docs to say there is a problem is around 14. It is possible to have decent haemoglobin levels but still not have enough to restore hair. I had exactly this problem and tried all sorts. Collagen helps too.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 01:07:10 PM »

Taz - which supplement out of interest?  Fortunately my hair remains 'well'.

Clovie

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 01:10:09 PM »

I was going to suggest iron - see if you can get your iron stores checked. You need ferritin levels of 70+ to stimulate growth. The lower threshold for docs to say there is a problem is around 14. It is possible to have decent haemoglobin levels but still not have enough to restore hair. I had exactly this problem and tried all sorts. Collagen helps too.

Interesting!

In the last 6 months I've been diagnosed with severe anaemia, almost half of what levels there should have been verging on a transfusion (levels back to OK now due to intensive iron supplements)  and looking back I had noticed over the 6 months or so before my diagnosis that my hair hadn't got any longer and looked thinner generally.
Could be the reason.

I was told I could stop the supplements but maybe I'll continue to use the ones I have left up and then buy a supplement.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 04:55:40 PM »

Taz - which supplement out of interest?  Fortunately my hair remains 'well'.

Just an over the counter vitamin D.

Taz x

CapriCapri

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 05:30:08 PM »

I really feel for you.  My hair is half its former thickness and won't grow. Buuut, I seem to be seeing a slight (slight, I'll keep you informed) improvement with zinc, vit D and selenium supplements.  But along with other medication and supplements, I feel as if I rattle when I move!