Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel and Utrogestan vs Kliovance  (Read 1507 times)

PlantagenetNess

• First Flush
Oestrogel and Utrogestan vs Kliovance
« on: August 08, 2023, 10:12:01 AM »

I'm 64. Having been on Kliovance (1mg oestogen 0.75mg Norethisterone) for 9 years I had to go into hospital for a much needed hip replacement in January. I was told to come off the HRT due to risk of blood clots only two weeks before operation. Operation went well but pharmacist in hospital recommended transdermal HRT in future.

The weird thing about coming off the Kliovance was that I felt less bloated and my mood and sleep improved for the first time in 20 years!!! I thought it might be worth trying transdermal HRT.

After complicated discussion with rather a useless young GP who didn't have a clue what she was doing, I was given Oestrogel (1.5mg)and Utrogestan (100mg) combo. I did inform the GP I had sensitivity to progesterone but decided to try. Found it inconvenient and immediately gave me very sore breasts, bloating, nausea and even lower mood than normal. I only took it for 9 days and then went back to Kliovance. Informed GP online. 16 days later back on Kliovance I now have a mouthful of ulcers, feel sick, feel low and am having a bleed!!!

Reluctant to contact the useless and unhelpful GP again I am hoping my symptoms reduce. Most worried about my very sore mouth which feels as though I've badly burnt it. Anyone else had sore mouth when stopping HRT? And has anyone felt improvement in mood, sleep and bloating when they've come off Kliovance?

Apologies, this is quite complicated.  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Oestrogel and Utrogestan vs Kliovance
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 10:56:56 AM »

Complicated yes.  I would in the first instance ring the surgery and ask for a referral to an NHS Menopause Clinic as there are waiting lists. Not a Gynae.!

As for the ulcers, it may be a low mineral such as zinc.  In your position I would stop all HRT for 2 weeks to C a) how symptoms are and b) whether the mouth ulcers heal.  I would also make an appt. to see a dentist for a check up or show a Pharmacist - they have private rooms these days.

Mouth ulcers can drag a person down, I use 'bonjela' as treatment.