Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: adverse side effects of Utrogestan  (Read 698 times)

SusieQ77

• First Flush
adverse side effects of Utrogestan
« on: June 05, 2023, 12:06:08 PM »

Hello Ladies,
I am 53yrs and started HRT about 4 months ago. At that point i had not had a period for 7 months, I was getting aching joints, vaginal dryness and the occasional hot flush (not severe).
The regime I have been prescribed by my GP is - 200mg of Utrogestan (oral) cyclically for 14 days at night and Oestrogel - half the plastic ruler supplied in the box. in the mornings.
The Utrogestan is making me feel just awful! Low mood, very irritable, headaches, constipation, sore breasts, dizzy and thirsty :(
When I am just taking the Oestrogel i feel pretty normal and dread the half of the month when I am taking the Utrogestan as well.
Its got to the point where these adverse effects from Utrogestan outweigh the whole point of the HRT - think id rather achy joints, hot flashes occasionally and vaginal dryness!
My question is - has anyone else had these symptoms when they have orally take Utrogestan and if so did they go by taking it vaginally? Also is the dose the same if one takes it vaginally instead?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 12:10:49 PM by SusieQ77 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: adverse side effects of Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 12:15:11 PM »

I believe that this is quite common with the progesterone part of a regime.  I am sure that someone will be along with advice.

:welcomemm:

joziel

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 12:24:31 PM »

Yes, lots of women take it vaginally instead of orally and find they can tolerate it much better like that. (Not all, some still can't tolerate it even vaginally.)

As for the dosage, I think it's now accepted that you should take it on the same dosage as orally. A year or so ago, it was said you could halve the dose but I don't think that's kosher anymore.

If you use the search box in the top right of the forum and type in 'utrogestan vaginally' or something, you will get up loads of posts discussing this....

SusieQ77

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 02:11:18 PM »

Thanks for you replies joziel and CLKD. This may seem a silly question but I am now day 6/14 of the Utrogestan dose so can I just start from tonight trying it vaginally (instead of orally) or do you think its better to wait till next month?

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 02:18:13 PM »

Definitely worth a try but although it avoids the digestion related side effects it may not solve yours. As you're close to meno there are two other strategies you could try, taking 100mg for 25 days per cycle (which allows a bleed if there's been a build up), you may tolerate 100ng better, or using a long (6 week) cycle. The dose for sequi is normally 200mg x 12 days not 14. If you can cope with another 6 days I'd continue with oral this month in case it upsets things, I don't know if you can mix it up.

joziel

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 03:05:25 PM »

Susie, I don't think you need to wait. As Dr Newson says 'shove it up'  ;D ;D ;D

SusieQ77

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 05:09:40 PM »

Thanks sheilia99 and Joziel. I think the reason my GP put me onto the cyclic sequil regime was because I had had a recent scan (for a full medical) and the uterus lining was 7mm which the GP though was a bit too thick and thought it would be a good idea to have a bleed monthly (for the next 12 months) so it sheds and thins down - boy did that happen after the first month! Anyway yes, the dose is suppose to be 12 days you are correct sheila99 so think for the next 6 nights i'll "shove it up" instead and see if it makes any difference to how I feel.
Really appreciate your advice ladies. Thanks :)