Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Any coping strategies for this type of anxiety, please  (Read 1779 times)

flutterby

Any coping strategies for this type of anxiety, please
« on: June 04, 2023, 08:49:37 AM »

We have a holiday coming up and I’m really stressing out over things that may happen health wise while we are away.
There is a reason for this which unfortunately I feel I can’t share at the moment. But the scenarios I’m creating are getting worse and worse and I feel dreadful.
This has happened before during the pandemic when you could travel but there were restrictions on the country we were travelling through. We ended up cancelling and my husband was furious with me.
I have mentioned it to him but don’t want to say how bad it’s getting
I want to go but I just need to stop worrying about things that might not happen
Thanks for reading
Flutterby x

Penguin

Re: Any coping strategies for this type of anxiety, please
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 09:42:06 AM »

I used to feel like this when travelling with my mum before she passed. The main things I did was ensure we always had really good travel insurance, even if travelling in an EU country, as it just gave us more choice about where she could be seem. Finding out where nearest hospitals were and how we'd get there as well. Finding out where best cardiology facilities were nearby (her issues were heart) and basically being as prepared I could be for anything that might crop up. Oh and taking copies of any prescruptions, carrying medication in hand luggage etc. Health issues can crop up anywhere and anytime, but the key thing I found helpful was making sure I knew where and how to access the type of help she might be likely to need.
Oh and also checking there were easy routes home should we need them. This meant driving to Europe during Covid so we could always get home rather than worrying about next available flights.
Bear in mind though that my mum was in her 80s with lots of complex medical conditions so I probably did more than was necessary but it did help me relax a bit about going. Plus it had got to the point with her where she was saying, I really want to go and I'm more likely to regret not going if I spend the week at home and am totally fine. So I guess also have a think about how you'd feel if you'd cancelled again.

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 09:43:54 AM »

If it is an issue relating to one person in your group who has existing health issues, it may also help to try and see their GP before you go for a quick check over.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 11:38:55 AM »

I can't book a holiday due to anxiety surges  :'(

For me it's in case me or he are taken ill whilst away - what if there isn't a spare room in the Hotel should we require extra time?  What if I can't help DH if he's ill [vomiting] and why don't they have 2 loos in an ensuite  >:(  :bang:.  What if he is ill but I can't drive home  :-\.  Give me spontaneous any day!

Hence I have an emergency anti-anxiety pill to take.  MayB ask your GP for a short course of 'valium', which U may/not require. Let us know how you get on.  Anywhere nice?

flutterby

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 01:19:45 PM »

Dear Penguin and CLKD
Thank you very much for your replies. I’ve been out to a bird sanctuary, which was nice and keep telling myself ‘don’t go there’ and ‘stop’ which has helped a bit
I’m on Mirtazapine which is making it better than last time
Sorry to hear about your anxieties CLKD 😘
Flutterby

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 04:02:45 PM »

Being prepared and knowing that I have the emergency drug really helps once I get on the journey.  It's the weeks leading up to an Event that bedazzle me  >:(

DottyD68

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 04:44:56 PM »

Hi flutterby,

I have developed health anxiety during perimenopause and once an avid traveller all over the world this now also affects me, but Im determined not to let it stop me from going away.

Penguin and CLKD have given you great advice.

I've just returned from a month-long French road trip in a car (with bikes as we enjoy cycling). I do worry before I go about the trillion of things that could happen but once I'm there, I'm there and I love it.

- I take a very comprehensive first aid kit to address any of my many perimenopausal symptoms that can appear when they feel like, as they do.
- I make sure my travel insurance is aware of any ongoing tests etc and that they are ok with that, so they can't wriggle out of paying if I need medical care oversees.
- I have my European GHIC card.
- If your GP says you're fit to travel then hopefully it will give you the confidence to do it and enjoy it. I know this one is easier said than done with health anxiety.

If you have all these things covered you have done as much as you can to mitigate the risks. As one person once pointed out ....they probably have better medical care overseas that in the UK at the moment.

Where are you going out of interest? X

flutterby

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 07:11:32 PM »

Thanks Dotty we’re off to Germany.
Flutterby x

DottyD68

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2023, 07:29:10 PM »

Sounds good. And you can be guaranteed they will be super-efficient there should you need any help.

Hope you can start to look forward to your holiday x

Penguin

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2023, 07:31:33 PM »

Great healthcare system in Germany, we go every year, defo a safe choice x

flutterby

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2023, 07:59:03 PM »

Finally explained to my husband and he was very reassuring about what I was worried about
Thanks ladies for your help as always
Flutterby xx

Cazikins

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2023, 08:10:31 PM »

Hi Flutterby  :hug:so sorry to read you are having stress issues.

Maybe have a word with your doctor to see if you could have a temporary increase in your AD's??

Your Hubby sounds like a caring one & although they don't always understand us crazy woman they do still love us.

Great advise already given - you'll be fine when you get there I bet  ;D & you can always sit at the top of a mountain & have a lovely drink & admire the view - wish I was going with you. I love Germany/Austria.

Lots of love Cazikins xxx  :cat48: :cat48: :cat48: xx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2023, 08:11:51 PM »

Good Luck!