Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: In Peri - should I stop HRT?  (Read 591 times)

HannonNY

In Peri - should I stop HRT?
« on: June 02, 2023, 11:54:33 AM »

Hello All - I've had a really rough peri experience over the past 2 years.  I've tried HRT pretty consistently (estradiol .05 and prog 100 mg continually) over the past year and my symptoms have not been controlled well.  I've had severe anxiety (which morphed into Health Anxiety), lots of muscle tension and twitching as well as joint pain.  I'm frankly considering coming off HRT altogether as I'm still struggling with managing my symptoms and I'm wondering if it's because my own fluctuating hormones are making it impossible at this point to get the right dose of estrogen.  Has anyone come off HRT in peri and had their symptoms actually improve?  Any thoughts/guidance is much appreciated.  Thank you!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: In Peri - should I stop HRT?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 12:11:00 PM »

Peri/Menopause are natural.  However, symptoms can overwhelm at times.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

Sometimes stopping gives the body a chance to stabilise a bit so that decisions can be made about any future medication.  Your body may be OK without. 

However, as oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains; also the body may become dry, inside and out.  It is how much symptoms affect each one of us which depends upon decisions to be made.

Do be aware that vaginal atrophy can be treated successfully with localised applications.  I use 'ovestin' without requiring any other form of replacement.

HannonNY

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 12:14:09 PM »

Thank you CLKD!  I feel like I'm "chasing-my-tail" with HRT right now and it doesn't seem to be helping some of my more troublesome symptoms.  It's all so confusing and my Dr. isn't really giving me great guidance.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 03:49:21 PM »

What's the symptom which you would like to ease first?

MayB ask your GP for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic, not a gynae. 

HannonNY

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 05:23:29 PM »

I've been having internal vibrations, muscle twitching, anxiety all of which have been hard to cope with.  The hormones don't seem to have helped much and I'm wondering if my own estrogen is still high enough that I'm effectively getting over dosed right now.  I'm wondering if I would be better off just on my home from the time being... thanks!

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 07:58:10 AM »

Hi HannonNY

The nain thing to ask is - how old are you and what were your cycles and periods doing before you started HRT in terms of cycle length, bleeds etc?

Also what were the symptoms that led you to start HRT?

For the record and you've probably been told this already, but continuous progesterone is not recommended for peri-menopause and ideally you should be using cyclical HRT.

What form is the oestrogen - pill, patch, gel or spray? I am  guessing patch as you refer to 0.05?

Hurdity x

HannonNY

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2023, 10:58:14 AM »

Hi!  I'm 54 and have had fairly regular periods when I started HRT as I was having hot flashes and the internal vibrations.  I'm on a estradiol patch and oral progesterone now.  I just asked my Dr. if I could come off HRT for a bit and she recommended I stay on the .05 patch.  I haven't been to pleased with her to be honest... she is allegedly a menopause expert yet had never even heard about internal vibrations associated with hormonal changes and didn't think my anxiety was caused but hormones.  I guess it's all just a huge coincidence that this all started a couple of years ago when my periods started changing :)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2023, 12:29:40 PM »

Your symptoms certainly are hormonally linked.  Not all 'experts' know everything about anything  ::)

HannonNY

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2023, 12:47:22 PM »

Ain't that the truth!!! :'(