Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT and periods  (Read 1157 times)

Lakingabout

• First Flush
HRT and periods
« on: May 30, 2023, 01:48:22 PM »

Hello,
I've been on HRT patches for a few months now and although they're helping enormously i've started having periods again. My doctor has told me to stop taking the HRT but I'm not convinced that's the right thing to do. They've not been great with me as they first put me on anti-depressants which I questioned and stopped taking after speaking to another doctor. Has anybody had issues with bleeding/periods on HRT and have any advice what to do please?
Thankyou

Dierdre

Re: HRT and periods
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 02:16:41 PM »

If you are on conti patches then this can happen in the first 6 months until the lining has thinned down. It's in the leaflet. I had 3 periods in the first 6 months on Femseven patches and I'd been postmenopausal for 10 years. If the bleeding continues after 6 months then it will need investigating. If your doctors worried ask for a scan.

Lakingabout

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 03:53:42 PM »

thankyou for that

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 04:01:42 PM »

Hi Lakingabout. Which type of HRT are you using?

Taz x

Lakingabout

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 01:35:45 PM »

hey there Taz they're Estradiol and Norethisterone patches.

hope you're ok x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 06:56:45 AM »

Is this a conti HRT - the same patches all month? As Diedre mentions bleeding for the first six months is to be expected and bleeding alone is not a reason to stop using it. If it is a sequi HRT (norethisterone for the last two weeks of the cycle) then  a withdrawal bleed is normal each month. This is usually within a few days of starting the new box. Hope that helps

Taz x

Lakingabout

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 08:04:22 AM »

Hi that's so helpful Taz thanks. It is the Conti and is continuous use. I've been on it longer than six months though and the bleeding continues. I'm going back to the doctor but they're just not particularly interested. Thanks for your advice x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 08:08:56 AM »

I had the same problem with the bleeding on conti so asked to go back on to sequi which gave me a predictable, short withdrawal bleed which I found far more manageable. There are others on here who have done the same.

Taz x