Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Are regular dose increases normal?  (Read 532 times)

RibenaBena

• First Flush
Are regular dose increases normal?
« on: June 01, 2023, 11:50:38 AM »

Hi - I’ve been on Evorel patches (with a Mirena and testosterone) for almost two years.

I started with a 50 patch, after some months the tiredness and tears, irritability, back pain returned - I increased to 75. Then almost every 4-6 months I’ve needed to increase as the same symptoms returned. The symptoms ease - I feel really good - and then a few months later they return.

I was on 100 before Christmas, then 125 in March - and now I’m in the middle of another big dip. I can hardly get out of bed in the morning, my mood is low, I’m unbearably irritable, achey and sore. I’m with the Newson Clinic and each incremental increase has been as a result of conversations with them.

I’ve got a routine Newson clinic blood test tomorrow to check everything and I’m planning to increase again to 150 asap after that. I can barely function right now.

Is this incremental pattern normal as you get deeper into menopause? Needing to increase every so often? When will it end!!!!!!  :'(

Kathleen

Re: Are regular dose increases normal?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 12:34:43 PM »

Hello RibenaBena and welcome to the forum.

You have asked an excellent question and I will be following the responses with interest.

My situation is different in that I have been using a low dose gel for about nine months and still struggling with some symptoms so I have decided to increase my dose slightly to see if it helps. I am many years post meno and would not be comfortable increasing more and more plus I have in the past used a much larger amount of gel with mixed results.

It would be interesting to know if Newson Health identify an upper limit to HRT use and if so how they treat any remaining symptoms.

Hopefully your blood test will give you some answers and it may be that you are no longer absorbing as much Oestrogen as you once were.

I am sure some knowledgeable ladies will be along soon to advise you.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

SarahT

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 12:38:26 PM »

Hi am sorry you have been having such a bad time for so long Ribena, hello to you

I am interested in replies as the same thing seems to be happening with me. I think maybe after increasing estradot to 100 a few weeks ago my mood seems better, but my physical symptoms, especially the exhaustion and joint pain seems to be worse.

I am having a chat with my gp next week and asking for blood tests and advice.
I do have an underactive thyroid, and the medication for this  can sometimes be affected with the concurrent use of hrt. Had your thyroid checked?

I hope Newson clinic can offer some help which you obviously need. Am sure someone will be able to shed some light on what is going on.

Just seen Kathleens reply too so it seems a sadly common problem. A valuable post you have written.

Take care

RibenaBena

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 05:56:35 PM »

Hi there. Thanks for your replies.

My Dr at the Newson Clinic said - within ‘normal gender boundaries’ - there isn’t a ‘too much estrogen’ dose. There’s a traditional dosage range that the NHS seems to adhere to, but new thinking seems to be ‘your treat as you need’ with regular blood tests to check your ranges.

I’m content with this approach from my Dr, and there’s no denying each increase has really helped! But my own levels just seem to keep dipping further and needing a higher treatment every few months.

I would really like some reassurance that this trajectory is normal, that as you get further into the menopause and your own levels deplete more, you need to put more ‘in’ via medication to maintain a good level.

This seems logical to me - but is my understanding right? I’ll ask my Dr when we review the blood results, but would love to hear this is normal from other ladies :(

Nik2502

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 07:54:16 AM »

Hi

I too am a patient at Newson and currently on 150 oestrogen.
I’ve found I have needed more as I’ve approached full menopause.
The doctor explained that each persons therapeutic dose is different. It’s not one size fits all. It all depends on how you metabolise drugs, your size etc.

You are certainly not alone and it can be a normal trajectory for a lot of women.

Nik x