Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Do I really need to increase Utrogestan when increasing Sandrena gel?  (Read 1757 times)

Tracy Allgonewrong

The doctor is increasing my Sandrena gel from 1mg daily to 1.5mg daily. Because of this, he is also increasing Utrogestan from 100mg daily to 200mg daily. I am very happy with the Utrogestan right now, no side effects or complications and ideally I would add the extra 0.5mg of Sandrena without taking the extra 100mg of Utrogestan. Do I really have to increase the Utrogestan? I don't want to...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 03:48:21 PM by Tracy Allgonewrong »

Nas

No, 100 utrogestan is licensed for up to 4 pumps/ 2 sachets of gel or 100 patch i think. No need to increase to 200 unless problematic bleeding.

Stick with 100 utrogestan, you may experience side effects such as lethargy or brain fog otherwise.

Tracy Allgonewrong

Thank you Nas.
Are there 200mg oral Utrogestan capsules (do they exist? - confusing Google results), or am I likely to be prescribed 100mg capsules to take two every night? Because if the later, then I am more in control of how much I take. I can even try to pop one in the mouth and another one in the vagina. Otherwise I now have to argue with the GP who will be following instructions from the menopause clinicto prescribe 200mg.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 03:48:31 PM by Tracy Allgonewrong »

Losingtheplot

Hi Tracyallgonewrong

I am on this HRT too and my GP prescribed me 0.5 sandrena gel and 200 Utrogestan for 12 or 14 days.

I am.only using 100 Utrogestan and vaginally. 1st month I took 200 utro orally and felt anxiety thru roof and bouts of seriously low mood.

I don't bleed at all havent for years due to contraceptive implant so hoping 100 utro vaginally is sufficient.

Like Nas says if utrogestan is licenced at 100mg then you should be ok.
Is there a reason your increasing your sandrena gel?

Tracy Allgonewrong

Thanks Losingtheplot
My oestraidol blood levels are <100 pmol/L, that's why they're increasing the Sandrena. I take the 100mg Utrogestan daily, everyday as opposed to half the month.
I have two options:
Try to get the GP on the phone and explain my concern about increasing the Utrogestan when it's considered safe to be on 1.5mg Sandrena and 100mg oral Utrogestan and try to get her to not follow menopause clinic recommendation.
Or if I am going to be prescribed the 100mg form (hence my question about 200mg capsules), I can decide by myself and experiment and be in control (my prefered option).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 03:48:47 PM by Tracy Allgonewrong »

Losingtheplot

Its very unlikely your GP will go against menopause clinic but its worth a try failing that do what you feel is best its your body hunni and its not a one size fits all.

Nas

Yes utrogestan comes in 100 tablets. Really you should be fine as 1.5 sachets of gel is is still only a medium dose of oestrogen.

They only up the progesterone if bleeding becomes an issue. Or if you are on a sequential regime whilst having periods.

Tracy Allgonewrong

Thanks so much Nas.

Tracy Allgonewrong

Its very unlikely your GP will go against menopause clinic but its worth a try failing that do what you feel is best its your body hunni and its not a one size fits all.
Good reminder, my body. Sometimes it feels that's not the case!

Penguin

They don't do the oral capsules (which you can also use for vaginal) in more than 100mg.

The only 200mg ones are the purely vaginal use ones which are prescribed for fertility.

Tracy Allgonewrong

Dear Penguin, thanks for confirming. I feel so much reassured now that I can be in control without having to put up a fight.