Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mixed growth in MSU - anyone know meaning ?  (Read 2502 times)

Orba

Mixed growth in MSU - anyone know meaning ?
« on: June 22, 2023, 09:23:01 AM »

Hi, ladies,
A couple of weeks ago I woke with a horrible water infection having not had one for years ! Went to the practice who dipped my urine , said there was +++ blood in it and sent it off to lab. I was prescribed Cephalexin for 7 days. I finished those last week then yesterday started to feel really ill with kidney pain, nausea, shakes. Couldn't  get through to my surgery as on black alert ( ? ) So went to an urgent care centre. They gave me Nitrofurantoin 7 days . But advised me to contact my own GP for urine test results to see what bacteria   my urine grew. I'm waiting for a call but looked on my NHS app that showed the urine analysed showed a mixed growth. / Probably contaminated.  Does this mean they were unable to isolate a  bacteria but I still had an infection ?
Just wondering if anyone has had similar. I'm just praying that this course of antibiotics works as I feel so poorly 😞

Flossieteacake

Re: Mixed growth in MSU - anyone know meaning ?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 10:09:44 AM »

I think when it says it is contaminated it may mean when the urine sample was being done. They say the urine should be mid stream and also when doing it the container should not come into contact with the skin at all. I think when it touches the skin they then say it is contaminated.

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Are you taking any localised oestrogen too as Vaginal atrophy can cause and mimic UTI's. 

Orba

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 11:58:41 AM »

Hi, thanks for reading. Yes I probably contaminated it when taking sample as did it on waking when half asleep!
I do use vagifem regularly. Spoke to GP who said carry on with the new ABs but to call back if they don't work.  He said my sample showed an. Infection but the causitive bug couldn't be isolated  as a mix of bacteria.  Oh the joys :o x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 12:23:01 PM »

Oh how annoying. Hopefully the antibiotics will clear this up and you will feel better soon.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 01:08:30 PM »

Did you tell your doctor about the shakes you've been getting? These are called rigors and happen when the level of bacteria in your body rises. I had an undetected UTI a few years ago. I'd been feeling a bit off but didn't think it was an infection. It migrated to the upper urinary tract and I was quite poorly. The fact that I was experiencing rigors was what got my sample fast tracked and I was put on a high dose of antibiotic a few hours later. I think it was  ciprofloxacin. Nitrofurantoin has never worked for me. I just don't want you to soldier on if you need a different antibiotic.

Taz x

Aprilflower

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 01:37:58 PM »

When I had a kidney infection I had so many different bacteria they couldn't be isolated.  My GP said he'd never see a result like it😱.

I was put on a broad spectrum AB which did most of the job, then a final specific AB to mop up the last.

As for shakes, that's common with a severe infection.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 02:23:00 PM »

If U are still having the shakes do ring your GP NOW! I would send an e-mail anyway to let the Practice know when the shakes began and if they continue.  That way your symptoms are 'in the system'.

:foryou:

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 03:55:20 PM »

This is a good explanation as to what rigors are and what can cause them https://patient.info/childrens-health/rigors-leaflet

Taz x

Orba

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2023, 09:34:35 PM »

Thanks for replies.
I did see a GP in the end today and had all the relevant checks. Another sample sent off and am to continue with new antibiotics.he did say if. Symptoms worsen then to contact 111 /go to A&E I really don't fancy sitting in A&E for hours though so. Fingers crossed 🤞

Flossieteacake

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2023, 07:46:37 AM »

Thanks for replies.
I did see a GP in the end today and had all the relevant checks. Another sample sent off and am to continue with new antibiotics.he did say if. Symptoms worsen then to contact 111 /go to A&E I really don't fancy sitting in A&E for hours though so. Fingers crossed 🤞

I hope having another check up has helped to reassure you. Fingers crossed you will feel better soon.

flutterby

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2023, 09:53:46 AM »

Hi I worked in a microbiology lab quite a few years ago. A mixed growth usually meant that there was no predominant bacterial species so couldn’t check for antibiotic sensitivity.
We always recommended a mid steam urine to avoid contamination
Hope you’re feeling better soon
Flutterby x
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 11:28:18 AM by flutterby »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2023, 10:32:03 AM »

Tnx for the update.  If U need to go to A&E ring the Dept B4 hand to see how busy they might be.