Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Symptoms but doc says not perimenopause  (Read 593 times)

SilvaMay82

• First Flush
Symptoms but doc says not perimenopause
« on: June 05, 2023, 04:30:26 PM »

Hi
I'm 41 and have been experiencing symptoms for around 6 months that suggest I'm perimenopausal.

GP sent me foe blood tests which all came back clear/within normal levels for hormones, thyroid, arthritis and diabetes.

However for 2/3 days roughly every month, my joints ache so I can't sleep & work is difficult, my skin itches like crazy, and my skin breaks out with awful hormonal acne.

I've started taking some (quite expensive) supplements which seem to have put a stop to the night sweats, but the other symptoms continue.

What should I do? The GP seems to think I'm too young for perimenopause.

Do I keep asking for more blood tests?

Flossieteacake

Re: Symptoms but doc says not perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 05:13:42 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am very sorry to hear your Dr is so uneducated in perimenopause. You are not too young and you know your own body. You have had tests to rule out other things so your Dr really should start to listen to you.

I started peri at 38 and many women start much younger. I wonder if you could be a bit more firm with your Dr and say it can happen at any age? If not then perhaps you could see another Dr.

Sadly you are not alone with this. Many women join the forum because they think they are in peri but their Dr insists otherwise. I am so glad you have found us. You will find lots of support here. :)

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 05:35:15 PM »

What are your periods doing? It's often an indication though I think a few people can have symptoms while they're still regular. It might be worth keeping a diary so you can tie symptoms into your cycle.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 08:35:04 AM »

Many GPs still think that a woman can be 'too young' as well as believing that 1 has to have stopped periods and be having hot flushes to qualify  :bang:

Ring your surgery and ask for a referral to an NHS Menopause Clinic - not a gyane appt..  There are waiting lists so best get onto a Clinic .

No lady is too young: some girls have 1 period then no more, rarely some never menstruate.  Others go into 'early' menopause from mid-30s - there is the daisy website for this - as well as periods waxing and waning for years [peri] B4 menopause completely.

Is there a GP at the practice with an interest in womens' health, or a Nurse Practitioner with more sense?  let us know how you get on. I am fuming at this repetition of 'you are too young' from GPs.

SilvaMay82

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 05:29:03 PM »

Thanks all. I'm on the progesterone only pill so haven't had periods in years, which is part of the problem.

I will stick with badgering the GP for regular blood tests and will keep yp with the supplements which are helping a bit.

Thanks for all the replies- good to know I'm not going mad! 

SilvaMay82

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 05:30:42 PM »

I will try asking about a referral to the Menopause clinic!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 05:31:46 PM »

I was in the same situation. I was on the mini pill too. The Dr told me he could not give me any hormonal tests as they would not be accurate while being on the pill. I thought I would let you know as having blood tests may not help you due to you being on the pill.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 08:14:32 PM »

Hormonal blood tests are reliably un-reliable  ::)