Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Is 65 years too old  (Read 921 times)

Rufus657

Is 65 years too old
« on: May 29, 2023, 03:55:41 PM »

Hi. I’m 65 years old and very active.

I came off HRT as had bleeding on every type I tried over 5-6 years.

I had a biopsy and scans over and over and all came back clear every time.
I have now been given a double dose of Utrogestan with a oestrogen patch.     

But I’m hesitating. Am I too old. I have been off HRT for 18 months and can honestly say I feel shocking. No energy , headaches , joint pains and  ridiculous  weight  gain despite very active exercise 3-5 times a week.

Obviously my doctor at clinic gave me the counter arguments but  what are your experiences here. Any input very welcome. Thank you.

sheila99

Re: Is 65 years too old
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 04:42:02 PM »

Given how you feel I think the benefits should outweigh the negatives. IMO you have nothing to lose by trying, if it doesn't work out you can always stop. Some ladies start it successfully when they are older than you and have been many years without ostrogen. No personal experience though, there's no way I'm stopping it for 18 months  :)

Clovie

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 06:13:42 PM »

Rufus, I'm 60 this year, and the thought of EVER stopping HRT fills me with dread.
Everyone is different though.
For me I want to continue to feel as well as I do (I know how I feel with no HRT) and also I want to reap the other benefits that HRT provides, i.e. some protection against cardio-vascular events, brittle bones and possibly dementia too.

I'll take it as long as I can get my hands on it.

Perhaps try it, but give it a fair crack of the whip, and then decide?

VioletAquarius

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 08:15:37 PM »

My mum is still taking hrt, she's 73 this year.

Rufus657

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 07:46:08 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I guess I should just jump in again for the final attempt and hope the double dose of utrogestran works.  :)

laszla

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 03:15:42 PM »

For what it's worth, there is an interview somewhere with HRT guru Nick Panay saying he has patients in their 90s and that they would "kill him" if he told them to stop. I doubt he would joke about this if he thought there was any problem in medical terms.

I know also in some countries, eg Sweden (there is even a study https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25051289/) HRT is given well into a woman's 80s and is still a suitable treatment in many cases.
Probably more difficult than simply choosing an arbitrary age is getting the cocktail of hormones right for each woman based on her symptoms and reactions.

Dazedandconfused

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 04:27:35 PM »

I started HRT at 59 having had my last period at 52.  I'm 60 this year and have no intention of stopping. A friend suggested I saw a menopause nurse, who was brilliant and said it was worth trying as everything I'd told her could possibly be caused by lack of estrogen. She said if it doesn't work and isn't for you, you can stop. Apart from a few blips in the first six months it's been all I could hope for and much, much more, it's been a revelation. Just wish my doctor 8 years ago had told me about it rather than saying, it's your age in answer to everything.  I'd say go for it.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2023, 08:02:23 AM »

Yes I agree - go for it! You have nothing to lose. You may find the double dose of progesterone difficult but the key thing is, although we can't expect to feel like we did pre-menopause, that we should feel better on it than off it.

Have you thought of a Mirena coil which would stop the bleeding once your body settled? Some docs  (consultants) like to recommended this when there are bleeding problems. I was recommended one at 60 and recently late 60's, when I had thickened lining or problematic bleeding ( though I refused...).

Hurdity x

Rufus657

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2023, 06:12:54 AM »

Thanks all once again for your encouragement. Xx
Hurdity , that’s helpful too. Yes I was offered the Mirena and my consultant was quite insistent. I declined.
You also mention that the double dose  Utro may be difficult. Could you give me a bit more info on what that means. Thank you 🙏 xx

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2023, 08:35:55 AM »

Hi again

I presume by double dose you mean 200 mg daily? It would only be difficult if you are affected by any side effects from progesterone. Some are happy with 100 mg daily but struggle with 200 mg but the best thing is to try it and see?

As always - we all wish that dydrogesterone was available separately in UK and supremely frustrating that it is not....as, despite my nil-by-mouth regime, I would make an exception for this!

Hurdity x

Rufus657

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2023, 09:49:43 AM »

Thanks  Hurdity. I guess I just have to try it again. I’ve done the 100mg before. Could you give me some idea of the possible side effects of 200mg? I didn’t ask that question with my consultant at the time. Also what are the reasons that some take it orally and some vaginally. Sorry for questions. I’m with Oxford Menopuase clinic and I only get to talk to them twice a year and my GPS  are not well informed. Xx
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 09:29:39 PM by Rufus657 »