Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Progesterone after hysterectomy  (Read 1326 times)

Nix

Progesterone after hysterectomy
« on: May 27, 2023, 10:06:08 PM »

I had a hysterectomy, ovaries and cervix removed two months ago… I’m 53 and was taking HRT before the surgery for about a year. I was still having monthly periods and my surgery was done as I had many fibroids and endometriosis. When I came to from my surgery I was informed all went well but was told they left a small plaque of endometriosis as it was inactive. Still drowsy from the meds I said I was concerned that my HRT might make it active again and for a minute the surgeon seemed to suggest stopping the HRT until he saw my face drop as I explained I literally can’t function without it. Does anyone know if HRT can cause a plaque to become active again? I need an appointment with the consultant to find out what risks if any are associated with plaques that are left behind.

The other thing is progesterone… after doing research it seems a lot of doctors now believe its necessary to continue with progesterone after a hysterectomy and I really think it might be the missing link and the lack of it the cause of many of the symptoms I’m experiencing. My oestrogen is definitely high enough and I take testosterone. Anyone here take progesterone after a full hysterectomy? I have to say it makes sense to me that it should still be taken. It seems many are waking up to this idea but as always it’s a slow train.

I’d appreciate any help.

Thank you

Perinowpost

Re: Progesterone after hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2023, 04:56:01 AM »

I don’t really know the answer to your question Nix but I would say the benefit of having a hysterectomy is that you could tailor any progesterone intake to suit you and not have to take the large quantities the nhs prescribe which are too much and many of us struggle with.

Having said that I have no idea about the endometrial plaques so can’t advise on that.

Also, MaryG and others have discussed on here that a little bit of prog is beneficial for mental health, so do check out those posts x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2023, 06:22:35 AM »

Morning.  How au fait is the Surgeon with HRT requirements, many have no idea.  It may be better to get an appt to a dedicated menopause clinic for advice. 

This is something that badly fails women, in that HRT isn't discussed prior to invasive surgery.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.

Have these  :foryou: and get those feet up in the shade with very good book ;-)

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 08:40:21 AM »

Hello Nix

I winyif an email to Dr Currie would be helpful?

As you know she is a Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist and is likely to have treated  patients with similar conditions.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 08:44:52 AM »

Hello Nix.

Perhaps email Dr Currie and ask her advice?

There may be ladies here who can help you but Dr Currie is likely to have treated patients similar to you and be able to advise you accordingly.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Gnatty

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 11:47:20 AM »

I have had a hysterectomy and oophorectomy, approximately two years ago. I added in progesterone ( utrogestan so nothing nasty/synthetic). And for me it's definitely the missing link. I started it end of January, started sleeping better immediately, feeling much more chilled and relaxed. In fact I feel great! I found every night was a bit too much and now just take every other night. The first couple of weeks I felt slightly worse in that it raised my body temperature so felt a bit too warm at night and tired a bit in the day time. But all settled now and as I say every other night just suits me fine. So yes, go for it! x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2023, 12:02:35 PM »

:thankyou:  Gnatty

Nix

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2023, 06:04:54 PM »

I don’t really know the answer to your question Nix but I would say the benefit of having a hysterectomy is that you could tailor any progesterone intake to suit you and not have to take the large quantities the nhs prescribe which are too much and many of us struggle with.

Having said that I have no idea about the endometrial plaques so can’t advise on that.

Also, MaryG and others have discussed on here that a little bit of prog is beneficial for mental health, so do check out those posts x

Thanks for that, I’ll try and find posts by Maryg. It’s insane when you consider how far medicine has come but how held back we are with regards to HRT… still, we are moving forward. Thanks again.  :)

Nix

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2023, 06:33:19 PM »

Morning.  How au fait is the Surgeon with HRT requirements, many have no idea.  It may be better to get an appt to a dedicated menopause clinic for advice. 

This is something that badly fails women, in that HRT isn't discussed prior to invasive surgery.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.

Have these  :foryou: and get those feet up in the shade with very good book ;-)

Hello, thanks for replying…

I had a wonderful gynaecologist (female) she was very informative but despite her many years of practice she had to pass me on to another surgeon as my surgery was difficult and the new surgeon was happy to attempt it robotically. I haven’t had the same care since.  My new surgeon is only in twice a month and so it has been really difficult booking follow ups, in fact I haven’t seen him since my surgery and to add to it, it now seems I need a further surgery for a bladder prolapse.

My original surgeon was great… she was not happy about the lack of female gynaecologists available at the hospital and the fact that the hospital had just hired another 5 gynaecologists and every one of them is male. I realise it’s a different topic but since my surgery I’ve seen 2 different males and I was incredibly uncomfortable during my last internal examination. I have never experienced anything like it. It has honestly scarred me, he was so very rough and I hurt for over a week afterwards. I have an appointment in a week and I’m going to ask if it’s possible to see my original gynaecologist, she was informative and also empathetic. I’ve no problem with male gynaecologists but my recent experience has left me scarred and I don’t say that lightly. There seemed to be no empathy at all and I felt shut down when trying to explain my issues and concerns. I don’t usually complain and probably shouldn’t have here but it’s off my chest now at least. Thanks again.

Nix

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2023, 06:42:48 PM »

I have had a hysterectomy and oophorectomy, approximately two years ago. I added in progesterone ( utrogestan so nothing nasty/synthetic). And for me it's definitely the missing link. I started it end of January, started sleeping better immediately, feeling much more chilled and relaxed. In fact I feel great! I found every night was a bit too much and now just take every other night. The first couple of weeks I felt slightly worse in that it raised my body temperature so felt a bit too warm at night and tired a bit in the day time. But all settled now and as I say every other night just suits me fine. So yes, go for it! x

This is so good to know. I saw somewhere that people use creams that are over the counter but I don’t know much about them. I have Utrogestan here so I’m going to try it every other day too. Not sure if my doc will agree to continue prescribing it though…

Gnatty

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2023, 07:06:27 PM »

Arm yourself with as much info you can when you next go to fight your corner. When you initially start, it might be an idea to take it daily for a week or two just to build up levels in your system. See how you go, we are all different and what suits one doesn't suit another. Have you joined the surgical menopause UK Facebook group? I recommend having a look. A lot of women on there are finding utrogestan to be very helpful.

Nix

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2023, 02:47:57 AM »

Arm yourself with as much info you can when you next go to fight your corner. When you initially start, it might be an idea to take it daily for a week or two just to build up levels in your system. See how you go, we are all different and what suits one doesn't suit another. Have you joined the surgical menopause UK Facebook group? I recommend having a look. A lot of women on there are finding utrogestan to be very helpful.

Thanks for the advice Gnatty, I will definitely take a look at the FB group.  I’m going to my appointment with a list so that I don’t forget any points. I have a feeling it won’t be easy as the general consensus is ‘if you don’t have a womb, you don’t need progesterone’. Thanks so much for your help.