Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Uterine Prolapse  (Read 1974 times)

Bluebell

Uterine Prolapse
« on: February 11, 2023, 11:41:12 AM »

Hi, just wondering if there’s  any ladies out there who have had a uterine prolapse that has pressed on their bowel and caused digestive upsets. I’m 69 and although the prolapse hasn’t dropped right through it’s giving me cramping, constipation and lower backache. I’ve always been able to keep it at bay with kegel exercises but it’s now interfering with my bowel. Doctor offered me a pessary but  I’ve read about ladies using the pessaries and they don’t seem very successful. At the moment I’m waiting on seeing a therapist. The Doctor did say it would be a bit of a wait. Would like to hear from anyone who has had bowel/ digestive problems with their prolapse. 😕

Taz2

Re: Uterine Prolapse
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 12:14:38 PM »

Hi Bluebell. Sorry to hear of your discomfort. It could be that you have also got weak vaginal walls causing more discomfort from the bowel. I had a uterine and bladder prolapse. I did experience some bowel problems and this was put down to my weak vaginal walls. The prolapsed uterus was pushing against the bladder and the bowel. I had a hysterectomy and front wall vaginal repair. I was found to have a slight bowel prolapse but this was not considered significant enough to repair. I had the op 8 years ago when I was 60 and it did make a real difference to how I was feeling and the bowel symptoms improved immensely without the constant bulge. I was offered a ring pessary but decided to go for the op. I have a friend who has had great success with it though. She doesn't want a hysterectomy. Have you been offered a hysterectomy?

I remember the discomfort of having the uterine prolapse and the great feeling every morning when I got out of bed and for a few minutes it felt as if it had gone before it descended again. Have you had a look at the NHS site https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pelvic-organ-prolapse/#:~:text=Pelvic%20organ%20prolapse%20is%20when,can%20cause%20pain%20and%20discomfort.

Taz x  :hug:

Bluebell

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 04:03:15 PM »

Hi Taz2, thanks for replying. I have only seen the Doctor once regarding the prolapse.
Then I had a telephone consultation and she offered the pessary and said she would make an appointment for the therapist.. not got to the stage of seeing a gynaecologist yet.
I think I’ll try the pessary first and see how I go.
 So glad to hear your friend found it beneficial.
The prolapse pressing on the bowel is causing me constipation, bloat/wind etc.
So hopefully the pessary will help with that too. 🤞🏽
I’m going to make an appointment on Monday and see if I can see someone this week.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer and inform me. ☺️  x

EllieJ

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 09:37:31 AM »

Hi Bluebell I have a bladder and rectal prolapse, diagnosed a couple of years ago as being stage 2 which is moderate but not completely out yet (thank the Lord!) I am currently struggling (again) with lower backache, constipation and aching pelvis. It seems worse when I sit. I'm an anxious person and although I know I have this double prolapse and have felt like this before I of course am worrying about something horrible going on! I did try the ring pessary when first diagnosed - it fell out 24 hours later! I was offered surgery but opted instead for physio. I lost some weight which helped along with using the squeezy app from the NHS (which my physio recommended). Things did improve until I started HRT, just hoping everything will settle again. Have to say I'm not happy that I've gained 10lbs since starting the HRT and now I've got these lower body aches and pains I'm wondering if I should have just tried to carry on without it. Not fun, is it? Yes, I do believe the prolapses can cause digestive issues - definitely. At the risk of too much information, when I'm aching in my lower abdomen/back and pelvis my poop can sometimes be thin as if there is pressure inside. Other times when things are feeling better everything is perfectly normal. Had a colonoscopy a couple of years ago due to the aches, pains and constipation and the fact the GP thought she felt a lump but thankfully this was all normal. All the best!

Bluebell

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 04:06:02 PM »

Thanks EllieJ for replying and I apologise for my late acknowledgment. I haven’t been on the forum for a while.
I’m seeing the gynae physio in 3 weeks to make sure I’m doing the pelvic exercises properly. At the moment the constipation is a problem. Sometimes okay other times like toothpaste. 😬
I’m ten years post menopausal but still get hot flushes and night-sweats and every so often a bout of heart flutters.
I use a vaginal oestrogen pessary twice a week for vaginal atrophy which has helped my bladder a lot but the bowel heaviness is not so good. I’m also wanting reassurance that it is the problem and not something sinister.
Thanks again for sharing. 🙏🏼