Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT and Fibroids  (Read 826 times)

Kathleen

HRT and Fibroids
« on: June 09, 2023, 12:46:20 PM »

Hello ladies.

I often read of ladies who are using HRT but are concerned about fibroids.

I am not medically qualified but I thought that my experience might be reassuring.

Years ago and before the menopause I had a scan to investigate bleeding.  A small fibroid was found however no treatment was necessary. The nurse said that when I reached the menopause it would shrink anyway. Some years later I was post meno and wanted to start HRT. I thought I might be refused because of the fibroid but the GP said it wasn't a problem.

As time went on I continued with HRT but when I had more bleeding another scan was clear and the fibroid had disappeared. My most recent scan a year ago showed a 2mm womb lining and still no fibroids.

The point of my tale is to reassure ladies that HRT does not necessarily cause fibroids to grow although of course you should speak with your doctor.

I hope this is helpful and wishing everyone well.

K.

Dotty

Re: HRT and Fibroids
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 01:53:02 PM »

Thanks Kathleen.  Very reassuring x

SarahT

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 03:17:55 PM »

Thank you Kathleen,

I too have fibroids, 3 of them, had them checked a couple of times When I had heavy periods. My g.p was also quite happy for me to go on hrt despite me being peri. She also said they should naturally shrink. I do have light bleeds\spotting  even on the mirena coil, but I think that may be due to being in a higher patch and my own cycle refusing to let go rather than the fibroids.

Good idea to post this info, may clear other ladies worries.

Thanks x

discogirl

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 05:00:30 PM »

Thanks Kathleen, that is reassuring.

I too have a fibroid.

Gnatty

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2023, 12:08:01 PM »

Unfortunately I had the opposite experience. Mine grew massively and ended up with hysterectomy.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2023, 04:54:18 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Gnatty - sorry to hear that you needed a hysterectomy.

I was told that HRT might make this happen so I was surprised ( and relieved) to be told that I could take it.  The fact that my fibroid was small may have been a factor but it definitely disappeared and never returned.

As we often say, everyone is different so I expect a whole range of outcomes are possible.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

joziel

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 08:28:30 PM »

Until more research is done into how women's bodies function, we can't understand so much. We know more about outer space than the bodies of 51% of the population.

I mean, some fibroids might be activated by hormones. Others might not. Similarly, with endo - there are different types of endo and apparently they have finally managed to grow some of this in labs so they can now see what works best for various types. Honestly all this is bonkers, that we don't already know it all. If men had to deal with this s * * t, it would all be mainstream. You'd probably get samples of Vagifem given out like pens or, heck, HRT shops on every street corner and a special consultation at age 40 to discuss how you want to approach menopause or something. And we are 51%. In a majority.

discogirl

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2023, 06:07:22 AM »

Couldn't have said this better myself joziel. Totally and utterly agree x

SarahT

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2023, 10:41:30 AM »

Yep Joziel,

Never seen myself as a raging feminist, but like discogirl I couldn't agree more.  My g.p (and I searched through all the g.ps within our group of surgerys) takes an interest in women's health. But some of the way I have read of the way some women on this forum have been treated, by those around them or the medical services, makes me furious. I can't even get any estradot now for weeks in my area. On phone every week to various pharmacies. I should be on 100. For the last 6 weeks I am doubling up on old 50s. I have about 2 weeks of those left then who knows.
Finally seem to be getting my symptoms under control after a year of chaos. Don't need this extra stress of fear of crashing again. What happened to the menopause Czar that was set up?!

Tracy Allgonewrong

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2023, 03:51:03 PM »

Until more research is done into how women's bodies function, we can't understand so much. We know more about outer space than the bodies of 51% of the population.

I mean, some fibroids might be activated by hormones. Others might not. Similarly, with endo - there are different types of endo and apparently they have finally managed to grow some of this in labs so they can now see what works best for various types. Honestly all this is bonkers, that we don't already know it all. If men had to deal with this s * * t, it would all be mainstream. You'd probably get samples of Vagifem given out like pens or, heck, HRT shops on every street corner and a special consultation at age 40 to discuss how you want to approach menopause or something. And we are 51%. In a majority.
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: