Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Tooth Extraction  (Read 3506 times)

Cassie

Tooth Extraction
« on: March 17, 2023, 06:11:06 PM »

Hi ladies, hope you are all well? Has anyone had a tooth extracted that has had a root canal and crown done on it? My dentist wont do the extraction says a root canal can be difficult to extract and wants to refer me to an oral surgeon, that is fine, I guess but was wondering if the tooth could be extracted in the chair as I really do not want to have to go into hospital under anaesthesia if not needed.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Tooth Extraction
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 07:27:26 PM »

I would opt for the GA.  Many years ago I had this happen: 3 dental surgeons 'had a go' at different times, eventually one managed to withdraw the whole thing completely.

However, the LA had worn off  :o and couldn't be topped up due to the medication I take!

At least have a chat with the oral surgeon to find out what is involved.  Have U had recent X-rays taken?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 08:20:35 PM by CLKD »

getting_old

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 06:25:43 PM »

Ask about the sedation option. I had that done a number of years ago. You do need someone to sit with you and take you home as you can't drive.

mandss

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 03:56:04 PM »

I had this done a few years back but did go private and paid for sedation, it was fantastic I never knew a thing. Which area are you in?  I am in North Norfolk and went to a great clinic.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 06:31:20 PM »

What did U decide?

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 06:32:02 PM »

I am only seeing the dental surgeon next week, had a bit of a wait  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 06:32:59 PM »

Dental apps are as rare as hens' teeth unless U have regular surgery  ::)

Haydo

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 07:51:02 AM »

I’ve just seen this.  I had a molar tooth extracted with a root canal and crown 3 weeks ago by my dentist in the chair with just normal pain relief injections.  It was absolutely fine.  I guess it depends on the experience of the dentist. 

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2023, 10:06:53 AM »

My roots grow all over the place  >:( so it may be others are impacting the removal of the affected tooth.

scrubdub

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 12:46:11 PM »

I work in Dentistry and they won't offer general anaesthetic for tooth extractions anymore-  Risks vs benefits, cost and patient safety are the reasons. They tend to use sedation more as its safer and can be done more quickly in dental surgery with well trained staff. They only use GA for head and neck cancers ,operations where the jaw bones are broken and reset and head and neck traumas
I had my wisdom teeth out by sedation- didn't know a thing about it and I recovered quickly from the sedation. It was like being drunk but without the hangover!
I'm sure you'll be fine 🙂

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2023, 12:52:50 PM »

I would put cost first.  ?? risks ?? especially as GAs are much safer these days.

I couldn't have my LA topped up due to the medication regime that I take, so the tooth took ages to be pulled: it took 3 surgeons to have a go!  It was thought that I would need to go to Hospital for a GA where I would have been more relaxed, then suddenly the root moved from behind the other tooth and Hey! Presto!  By which time I felt every movement!

Cassie

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2023, 02:25:53 PM »

I had my tooth surgically removed today in the chair no sedative but of course the entire area was completely numb. It was a bit of a struggle to get the one root out as it had a curved end but came out eventually, I felt no pain whatsoever and the lovely dentist spoke me through the entire process. I am of course tender and swollen now but he has give me meds am glad its finally sorted.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2023, 02:34:17 PM »

I had my tooth surgically removed today in the chair no sedative but of course the entire area was completely numb. It was a bit of a struggle to get the one root out as it had a curved end but came out eventually, I felt no pain whatsoever and the lovely dentist spoke me through the entire process. I am of course tender and swollen now but he has give me meds am glad its finally sorted.

So pleased to hear it went well. I hope it heals soon.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2023, 04:22:03 PM »

PHEW!  I have curly roots too  ::)

Now get those feet up and rest.  No lifting until mid-day tomorrow ;-).  No hot drinks until later ..........