Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Cyclogest and Utogestan help  (Read 985 times)

Peanut31

Cyclogest and Utogestan help
« on: May 26, 2023, 09:21:38 PM »

It has been advised by my menopause clinic to try Cyclogest.

I’ve been struggling on my HRT as I’m convinced my body doesn’t like the Utrogestan.

I’ve noticed when I take it I feel like im the devil. I am moody, anxious, snappy and basically shouting at my poor hubby.

Is it suppose to have a calming effect? I was told to try it Vaginally to give that a go, but I don’t know if it was a coincidence but it really triggered off my vaginally atrophy, something o have under control (taking vagifem daily)

I have been advised to now try Cyclogest, but 1/2 a tablet vaginally.

Is any one else on this?

It was advised I could try the coil?

I’m so confused on where to go from here, at the moment I feel calm as I’ve now completed my utrogestan cycle.

Apparently progesterone is suppose to help with weight loss too, I just feel I’m getting wider by the day too.

Best wishes
Peanut31

Ermin2trude

Re: Cyclogest and Utogestan help
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 08:00:11 AM »

Hi Peanut31,

I don’t know if this works for everyone, but I had an awful time with utrogestan. I was taking one every night continuously and felt suicidal. I was advised I needed more progesterone and was told to double the dose. Miraculously it worked. Immediately. I felt calm, happy, ‘normal’. My body seems to love progesterone and I was in a very bad way because I needed more.

I’m sorry I can’t advise what to do. I tried everything else first, including vaginally which made me need the loo all the time.

Best wishes.

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 10:33:34 AM »

I haven't tried Cyclogest yet but I have got some on standby to try out.

It looks like it is very easy to cut into tolerable 50mg doses which is ideal.  It can be used anally and vaginally.

I doubt it could be any worse that Utrogestan in fact, I think it is probably better tolerated.

Peanut31

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 10:46:51 AM »

Hi poppytoast

Thank you so much for your reply.

When I take Progesterone (after a few days of taking it) my mood turns, I’m hell on earth to live with, snappy, moody and anxious all rolled into one.
This month was so bad I apologised to my poor hubby and said “if you asked for a divorce I would not be shocked”. I’ve been with him over 25 years and he’s done nothing but support and love me through tough situations.

I’ve finished my course of progesterone and I am so much more calmer, happier and can cope with situations, everyday life. It’s got to be the progesterone.

I also had heavy periods growing up and was really moody leading up to it, pregnancy was not a breeze and struggled hence me only having 1 child.

I spoke with Newson health yesterday and they have advised to try it again vaginally but only 100mg instead of 200mg.

I did try it vaginally but only for 3 days as my VA flared up, so I stopped it vaginally and went back to orally taking it.

I will tried it rectally and see how it goes.

Thanks again for your reply.

Best wishes
Peanut31

discogirl

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 06:59:17 AM »

Hi poppytoast

Thank you so much for your reply.

When I take Progesterone (after a few days of taking it) my mood turns, I’m hell on earth to live with, snappy, moody and anxious all rolled into one.
This month was so bad I apologised to my poor hubby and said “if you asked for a divorce I would not be shocked”. I’ve been with him over 25 years and he’s done nothing but support and love me through tough situations.

I’ve finished my course of progesterone and I am so much more calmer, happier and can cope with situations, everyday life. It’s got to be the progesterone.

I also had heavy periods growing up and was really moody leading up to it, pregnancy was not a breeze and struggled hence me only having 1 child.

I spoke with Newson health yesterday and they have advised to try it again vaginally but only 100mg instead of 200mg.

I did try it vaginally but only for 3 days as my VA flared up, so I stopped it vaginally and went back to orally taking it.

I will tried it rectally and see how it goes.

Thanks again for your reply.

Best wishes
Peanut31

Hi Peanut31,

I'm another lady who cannot tolerate utro orally at all; even vaginally at night affects my sleep.

I have been experimenting taking the capsule vaginally in the mornings, using an applicator to make sure it's 'up' as high as it can be. I have done some research albeit for fertility purposes and when used vaginally in this way apparantely the capsule is absorbed quickly. The shell coating is mainly gelatine which dissolves quickly.

I do understand some women find using it vaginallly it does flare up their VA, I don't suffer from this thankfully.

For the last two days I have been using the utro rectally, again this is information from website like Besins etc however its' regarding using it for fertility purposes. For fertility purposes it is used both rectally and anally. So I don't see why it should be any different when using it for hrt purposes.

I have a telephone appt with my lovely gp and I am going to see if he will prescribe cyclogest for me as I would like to try this.

I hope you find a solution on how to take your utrogestan; all of the ways I take the utro is done with my doctor's approval.

Take care xxx
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 07:01:30 AM by discogirl »

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2023, 08:23:18 AM »

Hello Peanut31

I have been using Cyclogest for about a year. My prescription is from Newson Health and I take 50mcg on alternate nights ( I cut a 100mcg pessary in half).. At a recent NHS appointment the consultant suggested I increase to every night to make sure the uterus is being protected. I would like to do this but I don't have enough pessaries at the moment!

I have used Utrogestan both orally and vaginally in the past but I have never been able to work out if it impacts my mood or not. I know some ladies take Oestrogen only for two weeks and then include Utrogestan and this may help them identify any difficulties.

I honestly can't remember why I switched to Cyclogest but if I am using a product vaginally I feel happier knowing that it was designed for that purpose.

I hope this helps you and take care.

K.

Furyan

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2023, 08:46:04 AM »

Hello Peanut31

I have been using Cyclogest for about a year. My prescription is from Newson Health and I take 50mcg on alternate nights ( I cut a 100mcg pessary in half).. At a recent NHS appointment the consultant suggested I increase to every night to make sure the uterus is being protected. I would like to do this but I don't have enough pessaries at the moment!

I have used Utrogestan both orally and vaginally in the past but I have never been able to work out if it impacts my mood or not. I know some ladies take Oestrogen only for two weeks and then include Utrogestan and this may help them identify any difficulties.

I honestly can't remember why I switched to Cyclogest but if I am using a product vaginally I feel happier knowing that it was designed for that purpose.

I hope this helps you and take care.

K.

Hi Kathleen - what type and dose of estrogen do you take? 50mg of progesterone every other day would equal out as 25mg every day, which I’d question how well that amount protects your womb lining? Also, I was considering cyclogest if my renewed effort at trying utrogestan doesn’t work out. I thought cyclogest only came in 200mg pessaries? x

Furyan

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2023, 08:55:33 AM »

On a related note: I am giving utrogestan another try, every other night orally, as advised. This worked good when restarting a low dose estrogen, but I’ve quickly had to increase my estrogen and now taking just less than three pumps, with room for more!

What do you ladies think about the progesterone now? Do you think I have to increase to one a night now? I was thinking a ‘full-time’ dose of estrogen requires ‘full-time’ dose of progesterone to balance it out? Or how about 2 days on/1 day off? 🤔

I dunno, I’m reviewing with consultant in August but don’t wanna risk taking too low dose of utrogestan til then. I reckon this is my second to last play with utrogestan before I consider cyclogest (might try it rectally first as some ladies here have said).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 09:04:44 AM by Furyan »

Furyan

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2023, 09:03:07 AM »

It has been advised by my menopause clinic to try Cyclogest.

I’ve been struggling on my HRT as I’m convinced my body doesn’t like the Utrogestan.

I’ve noticed when I take it I feel like im the devil. I am moody, anxious, snappy and basically shouting at my poor hubby.

Is it suppose to have a calming effect? I was told to try it Vaginally to give that a go, but I don’t know if it was a coincidence but it really triggered off my vaginally atrophy, something o have under control (taking vagifem daily)

I have been advised to now try Cyclogest, but 1/2 a tablet vaginally.

Is any one else on this?

It was advised I could try the coil?

I’m so confused on where to go from here, at the moment I feel calm as I’ve now completed my utrogestan cycle.

Apparently progesterone is suppose to help with weight loss too, I just feel I’m getting wider by the day too.

Best wishes
Peanut31

Peanut - sounds horrendous with your moods, sorry to hear that. On my current regime I took utrogestan alone every other day orally for over a week whilst waiting for the estrogen to arrive. Came as a surprise, but it did affect my moods - started to make me feel low and poorly motivated. It improved when I started the estrogen.

Research suggests that it’s more estrogen that positively impacts on weight loss (when taking it at optimal dose obviously) - through increased insulin sensitivity. Progesterone has the opposite effect apparently, as it balances out the estrogenic effects. This was quite a surprise to me… x

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2023, 11:40:38 AM »

Hello again ladies.

Furyan -  The Oestrogen gel I use is a 1mg sachet of Sandrena. Obviously this is 100mcg so I use half the contents ie 50mcg.

The Cyclogest pessaries come in 100mcg and 200mcg. I was given the 100mcg ones and told to cut them in half.

I am not entirely comfortable with this 'do it yourself' dosing but Newson Health seem happy with it.

I was also worried to learn from the NHS Consultant that alternate dosing of Cyclogest hasn't been proven to protect the uterus which is why he wanted me to increase to every night. I tried to order more from NH but they only agreed to send me the amount required for the prescription they have for me, in other words the number needed for alternate nights. I have a zoom meeting booked in with NH later in the summer so I can sort it out then.

This fiddling about with strong hormones is a  concern but perhaps this is the price you pay for using products in a non standard way.

I am no expert but I don't think that you need to take the exact same mcg of Oestrogen and progesterone. If you were balancing out the effects of each hormone in this way could they cancel each other out?  I am sure more knowledgeable ladies will be along to comment on that.

I hope this is helpful and take care.

K.