Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Vagifem & endometriosis  (Read 1670 times)

VioletAquarius

Vagifem & endometriosis
« on: May 09, 2023, 07:29:30 PM »

Hi

I've got a prescription for Vagifem and it states to check with GP if it's okay to use with a history of endometriosis.

I had endometriosis when I was younger, my GP said it's fine for me to use the Vagifem, but I feel uneasy doing so, albeit I don't know exactly why endometriosis might be affected by Vagifem.

I am now in menopause, I've just past the 12 months mark of no periods, if that makes a difference.

My questions are: does anyone know why endometriosis is a concern with Vagifem, and does anyone take Vagifem with current or past endometriosis?

Thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vagifem & endometriosis
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 08:01:24 PM »

Can't answer your query but didn't want to dash by  ::)

MayB ask for a referral to a dedicated menppsue clinic? 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 08:35:36 PM »

Vagifem is such a tiny dose of oestrogen it's unlikely to trigger endometriosis - especially if you're post menopause. DG x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 09:47:37 PM »

I agree with Dancinggirl. Oestrogen causes endo to grow but the dose in Vagifem is tiny. The patient information leaflet for Vagifem gives the same advice as the ones for full HRT. We have no idea why this is but does lead to confusion!

Taz x

Florrie2

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 09:00:30 PM »

Hi. I had a lot of endometriosis removed just under 2 years ago (along with hysterectomy). I’ve been using vagifem (vagirux tablets anyway which is the same thing without the single use applicator). I’ve not had any issues. It is localised oestrogen but I don’t know if that means e.g. a radius of 10 centimetres or what! But maybe that is why it is okay to take..?