Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Still bleeding after year on continuous HRT  (Read 2150 times)

Missylou

Still bleeding after year on continuous HRT
« on: May 26, 2023, 01:08:28 PM »

Hello. I’m 57 and I’ve been taking Everol Conti for a year and have been having regular bleeds every two weeks. After six months I was referred for a scan and all was ok so they concluded it was the HRT and I should look at additional progesterone or the Mirena coil.

GP prescribed daily Utrogestan 100 tablets orally but I didn’t get on well as the made my mood low and also gave me fitful sleep.

I continued with EC as it seems to suit me otherwise thinking the bleeding would eventually stop. However after a year it hasn’t and I’m now fed up with it.

Do you think my best option would be to have the Mirena coil fitted (shuddering at the thought due to pain factor but I’m not completely against it) or look at changing to another continuous HRT? I could speak to GP although they have been clueless so far about HRT so it would be better going armed with knowledge (hence you guys).

On another related point I seem to suffer with PMT symptoms prior to each bleed such as sore boobs and being somewhat snappy. Is this right as shouldn’t this only happen with proper period bleeding and not bleeding as a result of HRT?

2cats

Re: Still bleeding after year on continuous HRT
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2023, 08:01:52 AM »

Hi Missylou,

I am on femseven conti and also bleed every 2 weeks but have only been on it a couple of months. The thought of this still being the case after a year is depressing. It’s a proper bleed too not just spotting. The same thing happened two years ago and the gp took me off it because she said my body wasn’t ready. I’m 54 now so was hopeful I would have reached the menopause by now!
I’ve noticed that having the continuous progesterone has lessened my anxiety but brought on intolerance and irritation with each passing week. I was on a patch and a half for the extra oestrogen but now on just one patch to see if irritation lessens but I can already feel the return of anxiety.
I think if you’re still bleeding a year in, then it’s too soon for conti?

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2023, 08:21:42 AM »

Were you meno (1 year without a bleed) before you went on hrt? If you're peri you would be better with a sequi regime and have a monthly bleed. Hrt won't stop your natural periods. If you want to be bleed free the best option is a mirena which usually stops them even if you're not meno.

Missylou

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 03:39:38 PM »

Hi, thanks for your responses.

I think it was pretty much a year before I went on continuous but it’s hard to tell as you get a bleed with sequential HRT so possibly it wasn’t. However I think at 57 the odds are that I am post menopause.

I’ve just spoken to my GP who says my options are the Mirena coil, coming off HRT all together to see if I’m ‘over’ my symptoms, trying vaginal progesterone cream or changing the make of the HRT.

I decided to try Femseven Conti (they always have such weird names) but deep down I think I know I’m likely to get the same issue. Meanwhile I have time to think of my other options.

My bleeds had got lighter and at the six month point, when the hospital said all was ok, I think I thought the bleeds would continue to get lighter until they became non existent. However, a year on, that doesn’t appear to be the case. Such a shame as Everol Conti seemed great in every other way.

Nas

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 04:24:57 PM »

If you are definitely post meno, then a mirena would more than likely stop the bleeding for you.
I was in the same position, prior to a year ago. Was a few years post meno, but oestrogen stimulated the womb lining, causing a bled every 2 weeks. Utrogesten clearly wasn't being absorbed and taking 200 mg daily was out of the question.

I reluctantly had the coil fitted a year ago today and it stopped the bleeding dead. I haven't cracked the oestrogen side of things at all and really don't know what dose I should be on any longer.

If your next HRT causes the same issue, I would opt for a mirena. If fitted by a skilled practitioner, the pain level should be minimal.

Good luck.

Missylou

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 09:09:05 AM »

Thanks Nas. How did you find the coil - the fitting and ongoing? The doctor mentioned you needed to check for string and if they weren’t there I needed to see a GP. It all sounded a bit troublesome but I guess she was giving me both the pros and the cons.

Nas

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 10:53:41 AM »

The actual fitting was easy. The nurse fits them all the time, so she was very skilled.
A bit crampy for a day or two, but that wore off.
Spotting was minimal really.. maybe for a month or so, on and off. Not enough to need to wear a pad.

The strings.. well I have never been able to feel them.
3 months after the fitting, I asked the GP to see if she could feel them and she could. I then had a scan to check that it was still in situ last September (and it was).

I have requested a CT scan for something else, but have asked the GP to request another check of the coil (only because I like to know where things are!).

All in all, they are a very reliable and common form of contraception/progesterone. The amount of progestin which is released, is way lower than utrogestan and goes directly to the womb.

Mirena coils seem to get bad press, which I personally think is unfair.

Best of luck. I hope you can find a way forward soon.

Teresa

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 05:00:45 PM »

Hi,

I’ve had on and off bleeding for the past two years whilst on continuous HRT (patches and utrogestan)and was was asked to increase to 200 mg but I couldn’t tolerate it. I’ve had two hysteroscopies and both found nothing wrong.

I had a mirena coil fitted this afternoon by a female gynaecologist (at a private local hospital). I had to go private as the GP and nurse at my surgery can’t find my cervix  ::) I’ve even been sent to hospital to have my last smear due to this.  I knew it would be a long time waiting on the NHS for a mirena and I want to sort out the bleeding. I’ve also had two mirenas in the past & got on fine with both.

I was really nervous today, but the Gynae found my cervix within a minute. Two small sharp pains, which she told me to expect in quick succession and it was in. The whole thing took less than 10 minutes and probably nearer 5 and I had no numbing gel or anaesthetic. I was amazed. I would even go as far as to say that I find smears more painful than today. I’ve had cramping a little since then, but she said it’s to be expected for 24-48 hrs and to take pain killers. I took a pain killer an hour before the appointment as instructed and I think it helped.
I do agree with Nas though in that it is down to the skill of whoever is doing it as I have discovered today. The last mirena coil wasn’t as easy to put in, but it still wasn’t very painful.
I’m not that confident about checking for strings though and she said to ask my nurse if she would look if I can’t do it (which is likely) I just hope she can find them and look in the right place  ::)

So if you do decide to have one, hopefully you will have a similar experience and wonder why you ever worried  :)
I hope you sort out the problem and good luck.
X

« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 05:02:50 PM by Teresa »

Nas

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 05:50:57 PM »

Hi Teresa,
I hope you are feeling okay after your mirena fitting.

Slightly worrying that neither your GP or nurse can find your cervix! I mean GPS only spend 7 years at medical school for goodness sake!!  :o ::) You would have thought in that time, they would have come to grips with the female anatomy!

Like you, I had endless bleeds on utrogestan, so caved in and got the coil fitted. No bleeding in a year so far 🤞

Take care
Nas x
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 08:46:41 AM by Nas »

Teresa

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 08:51:23 PM »

Hi Nas,

Thanks for your reply 😊 and yes, it is worrying isn’t it? When I first had vaginal bleeding, the only female GP tried to ‘have a look’ but couldn’t find my cervix then as it’s tilted and quite high up. I’d only been at this surgery just over a year and I knew it was tilted of course, but previous GPs and nurses always found it. It’s been like it for as long as I can remember.  After having the scan and waiting for results, my smear was due, so I booked an appointment with the Nurse and was assured she was very experienced ( I always check!)

It was traumatic. She tried to ‘find’ my cervix for 40 minutes. The speculum ( which is extra long due to my womb) was in and out five times. She even asked me to jump on the spot at one point  :o in the end, as it was starting to hurt, I asked her to give up. She then said I’d have to try the GP and it was then I said that she couldn’t find it either  ??? she actually seemed relieved and quite pleased when I told her that. I ended up being referred to hospital and my smear was delayed by 6 months as I had to wait. Thank god I only have it every five years and it should coincide with the coil replacement next time so hopefully I might be able to get both done at the same time…I think I’ll go straight to this Gynae next time and give the Surgery a miss!

What we have to go through eh?
I’m glad it suits you too - and will hopefully continue to.

Take care too,
Teresa
X
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 08:55:25 PM by Teresa »

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2023, 08:12:56 AM »

Just to add - what a helpful and positive reply about the Mirena Teresa! This should give encouragement to other women thinking about it - great to hear good news stories (cervix aside!).

Hurdity x

Mollymoo

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2023, 08:31:55 AM »

Hello. I’m 57 and I’ve been taking Everol Conti for a year and have been having regular bleeds every two weeks. After six months I was referred for a scan and all was ok so they concluded it was the HRT and I should look at additional progesterone or the Mirena coil.

GP prescribed daily Utrogestan 100 tablets orally but I didn’t get on well as the made my mood low and also gave me fitful sleep.

I continued with EC as it seems to suit me otherwise thinking the bleeding would eventually stop. However after a year it hasn’t and I’m now fed up with it.

Do you think my best option would be to have the Mirena coil fitted (shuddering at the thought due to pain factor but I’m not completely against it) or look at changing to another continuous HRT? I could speak to GP although they have been clueless so far about HRT so it would be better going armed with knowledge (hence you guys).

On another related point I seem to suffer with PMT symptoms prior to each bleed such as sore boobs and being somewhat snappy. Is this right as shouldn’t this only happen with proper period bleeding and not bleeding as a result of HRT?

I was also on this HRT and had the same experience. Bleeding and awful PMT symptoms.
I stopped taking the HRT and 2 months later I feel so much better. Just taking citalopram for anxiety which I have always taken.
Now no bleeding, pmt symptoms etc. Still moody occasionally but who isn't! 

Missylou

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2023, 10:13:39 AM »

That was one of the options my GP gave me - stop the HRT and see what happens. She said I might get a ‘bounce back’ of symptoms for a while then it might settle down. However, I’m in a new job where lots of learning is involved and I don’t feel I want to risk potentially feeling dreadful.

Something I forget to ask the GP but you may be able to help, could I try getting my extra progesterone vaginally? She had prescribed 100 utrogesterone tablets orally which I didn’t get on with. However I used progesterone vaginally on a sequential routine and I seem to tolerate it better. I have some 200mg tablets left over so could I take those vaginally every other day? (rather than the 100mg every day which seems more hassle).

Meanwhile I’m still considering the Mirena and will find out how long the waiting list is.

Clovie

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2023, 10:43:24 AM »

Hi Missylou

I'm 59 and have been put on continuous HRT due to me having regular bleeds of my own (periods have never stopped, for me) and the withdrawal bleeds of sequential making me severely anaemic.   :'(  I'm been put on 100mg Utrogestan daily and oestrogel.

I had a scan because the doctors did not beleive I could still be menstruating. And all is well. The sonographer said my womb was that of a still menstruating woman (size and condition) but no abnormalities and lining was perfectly thin.

Well 5 months on, my regular bleeds have continued despite the constant daily input of gel and utro.  Every 23 to 26 days sometimes for 6 days at a time, a couple for about 12 daYS.
The doctors  had thought that my 'periods' were being caused by ups and downs of 200mf utro and oestrogel sequentially, but no. No change.
They apparently ARE my periods.

I'm worried about anaemia again, so wondering if I might actually consider Mirena after a good few more months if nothing changes.

I've always been STRONGLY against Mirena, particularly as I am very progesterone intolerant of synthetic progesterone, which Mirena is  - and also because of the fitting/removal. My consultant did say he could sedate me or similar if I wanted to try. I have health anxiety in general, made worse since peri...

This bleeding is getting me down.
Plus I feel like a freak (been made to feel like a freak by the medics)  I can't shake off their going on about something must be wrong  :'(

Just thought I'd emathise as I too bleed a lot on continuuous  :(

Nas

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2023, 12:13:35 PM »

Mollymoo,
Have any of your menopause symptoms returned since you came off Hrt?
Pages: [1] 2