Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Irritation and reaction  (Read 1662 times)

aj55

• First Flush
Irritation and reaction
« on: May 23, 2023, 02:53:36 PM »

Hi I’m new to this group and hope for some advice 🤞🏻, feeling like a witch with an itch for a few weeks now to find out hrt cream and patches exasperate my issues to the max. Resorting to other means of comfort now thanks to my nurse but now allergic to the sanitary pads 😔 so the itch is back, bought some bamboo pads from H & B to see if that helps. Would be nice to see who else has been through this reaction to hrt 😌

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Irritation and reaction
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 03:08:16 PM »

Hi!  Which HRT were you prescribed?

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out; skin, vagina, scalp, between the toes, deep in the ears ........ how R your periods behaving? 

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.   :welcomemm:  which symptom would you like to ease first?

aj55

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 04:58:50 PM »

I had ovestin cream first due to ants in my pants feeling and dryness then I was given evorel conti patches for mood  swings but that gave me severe depression and suicidal thoughts so now I’m on none now however I’ve been bleeding for 10 days but cream lasted for 2 weeks then told to stop n patches lasted 3 weeks then told to stop 😔, it’s the bleeding that’s doing my head in as haven’t had a period in 3 years except my spotting last year because of a polyp which had to be removed as had suspicious cells 😔
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 05:28:26 PM by aj55 »

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 05:46:16 PM »

Hello aj55 and welcome to the forum. It can take time to find the right HRT so you being unable to tolerate Evorel Conti does not mean you cannot take another type of HRT. There are still quite a few options you could try. :)

This is a link which will show you other HRT preparations.
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatment.php

It could be the progesterone in the Evorel Conti that made you feel depressed. The itching you describe sounds to me like low oestrogen. It is such an awful feeling that I remember well. Even the inside of my ears and eyes would itch and nothing helped me other then HRT.

The Ovestin cream will help the vaginal dryness but not the itching. Why were you told to stop the Ovestin cream? I understand it can be taken even with a period. In peri bleeding can be very erratic which is a nuisance.

aj55

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2023, 05:54:42 PM »

Was told to stop the ovestin cream so as to fix my bits which were in a bad way with sores through scratching in my sleep so given fucibet cream, epimax oatmeal moisturiser and flucanazole capsule to take once a week. If my mood is still low on my next visit then will be given anti depressants, I just want this darn itch to stop it’s like having itching powder or ****ly heat on my bits. And the bleeding to stop…..,I’ve had no period for 3 years which was great. I’ve never had night sweats or hot flushes infact I’m almost always cold 🤷🏼‍♀️, I thought I’d escaped the menopause reasonably well but it was just this darn itch and vaginal dryness then sores from scratching but now it’s all such a mess 😩. Really did wonder if it’s worth it anymore😔
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 05:56:34 PM by aj55 »

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2023, 06:00:27 PM »

Was told to stop the ovestin cream so as to fix my bits which were in a bad way with sores through scratching in my sleep so given fucibet cream, epimax oatmeal moisturiser and flucanazole capsule to take once a week. If my mood is still low on my next visit then will be given anti depressants, I just want this darn itch to stop it’s like having itching powder or ****ly heat on my bits. And the bleeding to stop…..,I’ve had no period for 3 years which was great. I’ve never had night sweats or hot flushes infact I’m almost always cold 🤷🏼‍♀️, I thought I’d escaped the menopause reasonably well but it was just this darn itch and vagi so dryness then sores ftom scratching but now it’s all such a mess 😩. Really did wonder if it’s worth it anymore😔

The itching can be caused by low oestrogen but DRs never seem to realise this and will recommend something for an infection or thrush. It sounds to me like your DR is not knowledgeable in menopause as they have not suggested an alternative HRT and want to recommend antidepressants. If your symptoms are hormonal then antidepressants will not help.

I will tell you my experience. Out of the blue I started feeling very itchy. Every single part of my body itched but there was no rash to see or any spots. My body ended up covered in scratch marks from my constant scratching. I was already taking an antihistamine and was given a different one to take in the evening. I was then given steroid cream. None of this made any difference until I realised I was in peri and insisted on trying HRT. After a few days the itching reduced. Like you, I was so stressed out by the constant itching. I do not want you to have to go through this like I did.

aj55

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2023, 06:14:51 PM »

At first my dr advised me to use almond oil then advised me to use coconut oil then wanted me to try something else but at this point I was scratching myself silly, she was not really very understanding considering she’s been through it 🤷🏼‍♀️, after all the stuff about cream & patches I’m now seeing our nurse practitioner who is very understanding. Both my late mother and both my sisters had issues with hrt as I did tell my dr but hey ho. The nurse had said about other ways round the hrt issue to use other ways but it’s one step at a time. I am a diabetic with high blood pressure & high cholesterol, I have palpitations aswell. I’ve just had my metformin upped aswell last week as my sugar levels are a bit higher than she liked, I also have thyroid nodules. Falling apart right now physically 🤦🏼‍♀️

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2023, 06:19:27 PM »

At first my dr advised me to use almond oil then advised me to use coconut oil then wanted me to try something else but at this point I was scratching myself silly, she was not really very understanding considering she’s been through it 🤷🏼‍♀️, after all the stuff about cream & patches I’m now seeing our nurse practitioner who is very understanding. Both my late mother and both my sisters had issues with hrt as I did tell my dr but hey ho. The nurse had said about other ways round the hrt issue to use other ways but it’s one step at a time. I am a diabetic with high blood pressure & high cholesterol, I have palpitations aswell. I’ve just had my metformin upped aswell last week as my sugar levels are a bit higher than she liked, I also have thyroid nodules. Falling apart right now physically 🤦🏼‍♀️

That all sounds very overwhelming for you. I think the best thing would be to ask your practice to refer you to an NHS menopause clinic. There will be a waiting list but the sooner you get on it the better. They will understand the other conditions you have and be able to work out what is the best way forward for you.

I know heart palpitations are a meno symptom too and there are many threads on here were women have been so worried about this and found it was meno related and their heart is fine.

There is a thyroid thread on here if you would find that helpful to post on. The members understand about how this can affect meno symptoms.

aj55

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023, 06:41:32 PM »

Thank you 🙏  my palpitations have been with me for a very long time defo before menopause as heart conditions in my family on both sides, will look at the thyroid thread for sure 👍🏻. First time in my life I’d rather be Male right now 🤣 x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 06:42:44 PM »

Thank you 🙏  my palpitations have been with me for a very long time defo before menopause as heart conditions in my family on both sides, will look at the thyroid thread for sure 👍🏻. First time in my life I’d rather be Male right now 🤣 x

You are welcome. Sorry I could not have been more helpful but I am sure you will find great advice on the thyroid thread. :)