Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Symptom fluctuations on patch in first several weeks - normal or too low dose?  (Read 679 times)

Flossy

I have been using Estradot 25 patches for 3.5 weeks, and noticed I have been feeling quite a bit better. However, this seems to fluctuate, so when I get to patch change day my mood has dropped again and a little the preceding day. I have started changing it every 3 days which has definitely helped but still seem to notice fluctuations and the day after patch change day is usually the best - have felt better than I have in many months on these days - then it seems to tail off. In other people's experience, are these ups and downs usual when starting out? Or could it mean I need a higher dose, or would I still get the fluctuations on a higher patch? My other thought is that I am cutting 50 patches in half and wonder if the cutting could be affecting the stability of the dosage.

Thank you for any thoughts on this.

sheila99

It's normal for symptoms to be up and down for the the first 3 months which is why they recommended you try anything new for 3 months before changing. You may be right that you need a higher dose but building up slowly is usually best. Are you peri or meno? If you've been without oestrogen for some time it's particularly important to do it gradually. Were you prescribed 25 or 50?

Flossy

Thank you for your reply. I am 51 and last (very light) period was about 7 months ago after having had them about 3 or 4 times over the previous year so I think just about at menopause. I may try increasing to 3/4 of a patch and see what happens. It all seems a bit trial and error and hard to know whether to make an increase or just wait!