Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Am I in surgical menopause ?  (Read 632 times)

Stargazer

Am I in surgical menopause ?
« on: May 15, 2023, 08:30:08 PM »

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy 11 days ago.  I was post menopausal 2 years and on body identical HRT which I didn't stop for op. Now experiencing night sweats following op.  Is this surgical menopause? 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Am I in surgical menopause ?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 08:17:44 AM »

Possibly.  Did the Consultant not discuss this B4 surgery  :-\

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Let us know how you get on, do U have a follow up?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 08:31:01 AM »

I hope your recovery is going well apart from the night sweats Stargazer. Even though your operation was laparoscopic it's still a major op.

Did you have your ovaries removed as well as the hysterectomy? Even when you are post menopause the ovaries continue to produce testosterone and also some oestrogen for many years so it could be that your levels have dropped. Consultants are often quick to remove ovaries in post menopausal women thinking that they are no longer needed but after researching it I decided to keep mine. If you did have your ovaries removed then, yes, you are technically in surgical menopause. How long before starting HRT were you post meno?

The other reason for night sweats is an undetected low grade infection. I would mention this to your GP. I had to stop my HRT before the hysterectomy as per the usual advice before any major surgery so well done on managing to keep yours going! This explains the part the ovaries play even post meno. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hysterectomy/considerations/#:~:text=If%20you%20have%20a%20total,known%20as%20a%20surgical%20menopause.

Taz x

Stargazer

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 06:20:24 PM »

CLKD  thank you for your reply.  My surgeon did not discuss this pre surgery.  He said as I was post menopausal by two years he would remove cervix, tubes and ovaries as well as uterus.  I asked him about follow up and he said in theory it should be 6 weeks but in practice with the long lists it is unlikely to happen !!

Stargazer

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 06:23:16 PM »

Taz2 - thank you for your reply.  I did have my ovaries removed as well and was 2 years post menopause. He said I didn't need them now along with my tubes and cervix.  He did say I could go back to the Menopause Clinic and speak to a Dr I spoke to before as a follow up which I will chase.  It's just a bit of a worry as I had this operation mainly because of my mood swings with the Progesterone and not much as changed.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 07:54:13 AM »

This in my opinion is medical negligence  :'(.  Not enough consultations between the different specialitists to find out the reality of such surgical intervention.  Do make that appt with the menopause clinic and let us know how you get on.

My surgeon would have removed ovaries to 'save the possibility of needing to go in later' ...........  :-\ fortunately I didn't require that type of surgery.

:foryou:

Donna-paul

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 06:27:08 PM »

I’ve just had full hysterectomy 7 weeks ago I have terrible night sweats and hot flushes. I was 5 years menopausal and had to stop hrt after abnormal biopsy for precancerous cells. I had op within 6 weeks and was supposed to have checkup with pathology results in 2 weeks it was 6 weeks in the end. I got given all clear and told I could go back on a low dose of oestrogen. I think when they take everything your body goes in a bit of shock regardless how it’s done. Good luck on recovery mine is slow and rest plenty.

vintagefiend

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 08:25:36 PM »

Hey Stargazer

I think first I'd say please don't panic- it's VERY early days for you!!
Maybe you will need a bit more oestrogen or perhaps it's even a testosterone thing?? certainly us ladies who have had oophorectomy have our testosterone cut dramatically even if we're post meno- not sure it would affect you so soon, though, but might be wrong
I had ovaries removed November 2020 and, like you, was 1 year into menopause (2 years after last period)
I definitely felt different after but it's all been muddied by the fact that i've been coming off an antidepressant too- hard to know what's what!
for some reason I can no longer tolerate oestrogen- I was on it prior to the op but in all honesty wasn't tolerating it well then.
keep posting- you will get through this and if you need a bit more oestrogen then so be it

vintagefiend

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 08:29:54 PM »

meant to say I think Donna-paul might be on to something when she says it's still a big shock to system regardless of where you are in menopause

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 08:42:41 AM »

I remember being shocked after Wisdom teeth removal  :-\

It may be that your body has enough oestrogen - mayB consider stopped replacements until you have settled?  Keeping a mood/food/symptom diary may be of use.  Let us know how you all get on!