Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Another post about palpitations  (Read 561 times)

Peri2022

Another post about palpitations
« on: May 20, 2023, 05:46:20 PM »

Hello all, I was hoping I’d never have to post here again but my perimenopausal body is the science experiment that keeps on giving!

Earlier in the week I had quite a strenuous work trip and noticed I was having some palpitations in the evening (heart skips a beat then thumps to catch up). Since then, every day I have about 3-4 episodes lasting about half an hour. This afternoon I’ve been having them on and off for about two hours. I don’t feel unwell, cold, clammy or dizzy so hopefully it isn’t anything really dangerous but it is bloody annoying and making me feel quite anxious now.

I have a GP appointment in 2 weeks (I didn’t think it was urgent) but to those of you who have palpitations, how do you stay calm in the meantime? Usually I go for a brisk walk to de-stress but now I worry this will make things worse.

I have started taking magnesium which I’ve heard can help. Any other tips? Thanks in advance!

SarahT

Re: Another post about palpitations
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 06:20:01 PM »

Hi Peri,

Well anything connected to changes in heart rhythms does as you know only add to our already heightened  anxiety. So of course  it's natural to feel as you do.

I was diagnosed with a heart murmur many years ago, and has never needed any treatment. But because of this my heart often  skips a beat, that makes me cough for some reason, and then the rhythm gets back on track. It's not a pleasant sensation at all, but I am very used to it.

It may sound odd, but I do get palpitations with strong non decaffeinated coffee, or indeed anything too caffeinated. Maybe worth avoiding these for a while in case this worsen the palpitations? I ask had them in the past  if I got anaemia.

I can understand the worry of a brisk walk (always my preferred safety valve when anxiety hits) but maybe just a gentle walk would be good for you to get Outside and I always relax from this, calms me right down,somehow steadies me.

I am sure you have checked other threads and see most times these symptoms are caused by the joys of hormonal upheavals and nothing to worry about. Easier said then done.
You are right in checking this with a dr, I certainly would do so.

Wishing you well

Peri2022

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 06:29:24 PM »

Hi Sarah. Thanks very much for your reply. I remember your thread from a few months ago when your mood was not great - I do hope you’re feeling better now.

It’s reassuring to hear that your heart murmur is pretty much benign. I have Googled palpitations at length (as you can imagine, although I know I shouldn’t!) and it’s good to know that actually most types of palpitations (especially ones that don’t make you feel unwell) are ok. I have already cut out my daily coffee, which pains me because it’s my own little mood enhancer, but we can never have it all in perimenopause,  can we?!

I did in fact go for a short walk after I posted that last message and now am going to try to lose myself in Netflix. Normally my family would be around too, but very unusually they’re all out for the night, don’t know if that’s better or worse?

SarahT

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 06:38:04 PM »

Thanks Peri, thought that was you!

Yes thanks, my mood is up and down, very cyclical but am working on that and enjoying the good days and trying to sort ways to cope with the worse symptoms on the bad days. Today am optimistic which is the absolute opposite from last week. Seems like yourself, we kind of adapt to a symptom and then another ones grabs us around the throat least we think we are winning at this!

Family out?? Fab. Means you have total utter control over what you choose to watch. No one rolling their eyes at your choice and you can cry or laugh out loud at bits with no one to judge. Lovely. Enjoy your evening and indulge yourself. X

Peri2022

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 09:26:11 AM »

Glad you are coping OK, Sarah, it’s certainly a roller coaster. My palpitations finally settled last night after about 4 hours..I listened to a meditation and fell deeply asleep just as my daughter came home early and started thumping the door because she couldn’t find the key I’d left for her in our usual place…honestly, it’s a wonder I didn’t just combust at that point!

Forced myself out for a swim this morning and added another 12.5mcg-worth of Estradot patch just in case that will settle things. Fingers crossed.

SarahT

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2023, 02:13:20 PM »

Hope that the extra bit of patch helps you.
Your daughter no doubt undid  much of the relaxation you found with the meditation! Typical. 🙄

You sound like you are doing fabulously in finding ways to cope\distract. Exercise is so important to me too.. I am trying for a walk with husband in morning, then, if energy allows,  a full day in the garden. If Sun shines I hope for enough breaks in a shady spot with some iced water. Trying for the balance of exercise (helps mind too) and avoiding the crashes of fatigue. Like much of this peri Crap you never can tell what you will be like on any given day.
Just hope we can find a dose that works for some stability.  What other happy surprises symptom wise are left for us to work with?!

Take care