Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: UTIs and HRT  (Read 1322 times)

Kai_63

UTIs and HRT
« on: May 17, 2023, 04:07:38 PM »

I’m on Lovima mini pill, oestrogel 3 pumps and Utrogestan 100, have been for about a month now.

Partly put on these because of vaginal atrophy, I’ve got what feels like a UTI which I haven’t had in many months. Could it be that the meds are still settling down or should I ask about Vagifem again?

And can I use Bladapure to prevent this in the meantime, which has worked for UTIs previously?

I’m 45 and have had peri for about a year.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 04:12:35 PM by Kai_63 »

Taz2

Re: UTIs and HRT
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 04:33:54 PM »

Did I see on another thread that you have thrush or maybe that was someone else :-\. If so then I've found that I often feel that I've a UTI during a thrush episode so could it be that. I can't answer your Bladapure question though. Sorry.  :hug:

Taz x

Kai_63

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 04:55:20 PM »

Thank you. I had what I thought was thrush for a couple of days and then it went away but that was two weeks ago. Now this (it’s pretty mild and I only have mild back pain and an urgent need to wee every so often).

Perhaps it’s all part of the same thing. I just don’t know if it’s my body settling into meds or whether I should start Vagifem to deal with this topically (assuming it’s linked to vaginal atrophy).

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 05:57:58 PM »

Vaginal atrophy treatment is for life, regardless of what is suggested by GPs and/or the leaflet in the box.

When I get the need2P I swallow 2 nurofen 3 times a day until symptoms ease.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 06:29:21 PM »

Although HRT can help with VA, only localised oestrogen  will give the best results. VA is caused by the area lacking oestrogen and applying localised oestrogen will help the area. Like CLKD says, it will be needed for life and sadly many GPs have no idea of how to treat it or even what it is.

I would start the vagifem and also get some vaginal moisturiser. The moisturiser can help with dryness and also you can apply a bit to the vagifem applicator to help insert it if you need to.

Inky

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 09:19:19 PM »

I think Vagifem would sort your symptoms out - I had what felt like UTI when using oestriol cream but switched to vagifem and much better now.

Kai_63

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 10:48:33 PM »

Thank you, I did a two month course of both vagifem and ovestin before the HRT and didn’t make any difference. Perhaps with the HRT it will work together.

I’ll try the vaginal moisturiser too.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2023, 06:15:41 AM »

Let us know how you get on.

How often did U use vagifem/ovestin? 

Dierdre

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2023, 09:39:34 AM »

Thank you. I had what I thought was thrush for a couple of days and then it went away but that was two weeks ago. Now this (it’s pretty mild and I only have mild back pain and an urgent need to wee every so often).

Perhaps it’s all part of the same thing. I just don’t know if it’s my body settling into meds or whether I should start Vagifem to deal with this topically (assuming it’s linked to vaginal atrophy).
I would send a urine sample to your GP to rule out UTI especially with you having back pain with it, then definately ask for local estrogen as full HRT don't always resolve VA on it's own.

Kai_63

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 05:43:42 PM »

Thanks everyone! And sorry for posting in the wrong section, appreciate the replies.  :)