Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Gel to patches  (Read 354 times)

Polpringle

Gel to patches
« on: May 18, 2023, 03:32:57 PM »

I’ve been using gel for a while and had trouble with dosing 3 not enough 4 to much, my Dr has given me patches to trial but they’re Evorel 50 so equal to 2 pumps, I’m worried if I use those dreaded anxiety and other symptoms will return, should I maybe try them with a pump of gel? Or trial them on there own first

DottyD68

Re: Gel to patches
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 05:01:51 PM »

Hi Polpringle,

I was put on on 4 pumps of gel daily and Utrogestan 200mg 14/28 days age 53 peri-menopausal. After 12 months GP wanted to move me to continuous which i was happy to try. However she moved me  to Evorel conti 50 which was half the oestrogen gel i was taking. I raised this and she said it "would be fine". It wasn't. It was half the oestrogen and a different method and regime all in one go and my symptoms returned within days. I returned to sequi gel.

Personally I think the gel is easier to manage in terms of dosage however it depends on how well you absorb it vs patches. The risk with topping up gel with patches is that the counter dosage of progesterone in the patch may not be sufficient to protect the womb lining against the additional gel oestrogen - at least that's my understanding.

Hope you get sorted.

Polpringle

Re: Gel to patches
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 05:33:57 PM »

Thank you Dotty that was my worry and makes sense re the progesterone, I think I’ll stick with the gel as had bloods done and estradiol is 922 which I believe means I’m absorbing well