Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Quick question re blood tests  (Read 439 times)

Claire MM

Quick question re blood tests
« on: May 17, 2023, 08:09:42 AM »

Hi everyone sorry to bother you,

I have just had a reminder for a blood test come through which I didn't realise was happening late morning until now, it's for estrogen testosterone and shbg, I use gel and a patch for estrogen and I use gel for testosterone. I used the gel last night and had the patch on until just now, does this matter? Should I rebook for a time when I haven't had a patch on overnight or not used gel? Or is it just as well to get a read of it now? I don't think I could deal with not using estrogen overnight tbh. This is my usual patch change day so I'm thinking put it on afterwards, it is also nearly mid cycle whereas usually I get my bloods checked around day 1 of cycle however I have been feeling hot, rough and low in E I think so maybe just go for it now? Any thoughts? It's been a year since I had a blood test, Thank you, Claire

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Quick question re blood tests
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 08:22:50 AM »

I've no idea  :-\.  Who has arranged for the bloods as hormone tests are reliably un-reliable  ::)

Let us know how you get on.

Claire MM

Re: Quick question re blood tests
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 02:04:14 PM »

Thank you CLKD, I just went ahead and had it done, not sure how useful it will be. I have always been advised to check around day one (this is more like mid cycle) and not to use HRT the day of the blood test, but hey I guess this will show the highest it ever gets on HRT for a change, just took me a year to get referred for bloods. I requested it from GP as gynae at the hospital is referring me sideways to a person with a special interest in menopause now which is good and gynae mentioned that they might want to check that because I'm on a higher than 100 dose to check I'm not on too much estrogen. Symptomwise I have low estrogen but hey we will see, bloods have always been below 300, below 200 when I was on 100 patch and 50 when I was on two pumps of gel, I know they vary a lot but presumably there is some kind of base level you should not go below and a level you shouldn't go above on HRT. Anyway we will see, if they are not of any use to the hospital then fair enough. I just hope I've got them taken under the right conditions given how long it's taken to request them. I hope you are well? X