Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Postmenopausal bleeding after switching to taking utrogestan vaginally  (Read 1374 times)

Inky

I was concerned that utrogestan was making me depressed so I had 2 weeks off it then started administering it vaginally, every other day. I am now having a very period-like bleeding. On Evorel 100 patches + Vagifem + utrogestan 100mg. I have pelvic/cervical pain and terrible bloating. Should I be concerned or should I wait for it to settle - assume that the bleeding is due to decreased levels of systemic utrogestan? On Louise Newsome's site, taking utrogestan vaginally every other day is recommended  for those who can't tolerate it orally. So not sure why I am bleeding. Any ideas?

Monsoon48

Hi Inky,
I am postmenopause, no ovaries, I initially started on Evorel 50 & Utrogestan 100 tablet, I had severe digestive problems, affected my liver/ gallbladder.  From April 2022- February 2023.
In March 2023, I continued having digestive problems and then developed  severe Histamine Intolerance.
At the end of April,my GP suggested I take the Utrogestan  vaginally. I did this, unfortunately for the last 3 weeks I have been bleeding.
Last Thursday I saw my GP, she has informed me it hasn’t worked, so she switched me to Evorel Conti, this is transdermal HRT. I started on Sunday 21st ,  so far continued bleeding and I found it difficult to sleep. The Histamine Intolerance is ongoing.
Monsoon

Stella2

Hi Inky,
I had exactly same symptoms as you and after I returned to oral, the bleeding stopped after week or so. It's always good to discuss the bleeding with your GP. There is a similar thread posted recently, have a look. It seems that taking Utrogestan vaginally does not always work well and that for some, it's better absorbed orally.

Inky

I decided to continue with taking Progestogen orally and the bleeding did stop and none since.

discogirl

hi all

i cannot tolerate oral utrogestan at all. it literally leaves me with intense chronic anxiety.

when i changed from oral to vaginal i did bleed for a bit but it did stop. i only bleed if i stop the utro for some reason.

i think whenever you change hrt regime you can have a bleed. i mentioned my bleed to my gp who arranged a scan and my womb lining was fine. i think it was the stopping and starting of the hrt xxx

Inky

Re: Postmenopausal bleeding after switching to taking utrogestan vaginally
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 03:18:09 PM »

So do you take 100mg utro vaginally daily?