Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT & bleeding  (Read 1120 times)

Tulip123

HRT & bleeding
« on: April 23, 2023, 11:29:17 AM »

I started HRT in Sept. I am peri menopausal age 47. I was on the contraceptive pill right up until last year & that made my periods regular & light for years. We realised I was peri menopausal because of other symptoms like severe mood swings, anxiety, paranoia etc.

I came off the combined pill & went onto HRT. I currently take Evorel 50 patch & Utrogestan 200mg for 2 weeks.

I knew I would get a withdrawal bleed on the utrogestan free days but I have been getting bleeding at other times. I realised that is likely to be my normal period, which were never regular and painful until I went on the contraceptive pill. Now I've got those periods back as well as a withdrawal bleed.

I had a private GP appointment this week & she suggested starting utrogestan again 15 days after my period (which will be tomorrow), to try & bring the period in sync with the withdrawal bleed week.

However, today I have a bleed for the THIRD time this month ;(.

I had a period on the 7th-11th, withdrawal bleed 14th/15th and a 3rd bleed today 21st.

The GP had mentioned cerazette contraception to stop the bleeding but apparently side effects are acne, mood swings and depression, all of which I had before HRT, so I'm not keen.

Is there anything else I can do ? HRT has stopped all my other unpleasant symptoms so I don't want to come off it.

Welshmum

• First Flush
Re: HRT & bleeding
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 07:29:45 AM »

Hi there Tulip123

Sorry to read about your bleeding. I'm having this problem too. I started hrt Febuary 2022. The same dose as you. Periods fine and bleeding on the 14 days off utrogestan. Most of my peri symptoms dissapeaared to which I didn't realise until now. I felt great with so much energy.

Fast forward to December last year and I felt awful again, periods really heavy, feeling very low. Dr upped my patches to 75 and mini pill to help with the bleeding and I felt worse. I took them off and thought that's it. I'll do it myself. A week later I gave in and replied a patch but only the 50. My bleeding since January has been constant. I bleed for 78 days out of 100. Im currently 3 days without bleeding. I've been back and for the drs who referred me for a scan. Heard nothing. 2 weeks ago I lost it and thought that's it again. My mum didn't need any hrt so I will try and get through this myself. Stopped hrt and the mini pill. 4 days later the bleeding stopped. But the peri symptoms I had previously that I didn't realise had gone are back. I'm aching and tired with no energy. I'm now waiting for an gynaecologist appointment.

What I wanted to say was that although the bleeding was really getting me down daily I should have stuck it out. I told the Dr that I stopped my hrt and she said don't do anything now until you've seen the gynaecologist and see what they say. I don't know if I would have stopped bleeding or not and now I feel awful again.

This perimenopause is so hard. Not knowing what to do or who to speak to. My Dr is not very good about this stuff. Sending you a hug.

Welshmum

Elle 77

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 10:56:59 PM »

Hi ladies, just reading through some of the topics. Im peri and on crelle mini pill for help with heavy flooding. Ive had blood tests which showed peri and clear smear. Though ive pushed for an ultra sound which im waiting for appointment.    I have not tried hrt yet as the nurse advised mini pill first. But im starting 4th month and the light constant spotting (some days wee bit heavier) , just isnt easing.    Its been the same for going on 6 weeks. Prior to that it was heavy for first few weeks. Its very confusing as u say and i feel we are trying to work it out on our own , as dont feel any real help or interest from dr's.  I had a lot of symtoms in past year and half and im taking a  magnesium suppmement too, which i can say ive felt like my old self , no aches and pains less brain fog, sleeping so much better .  But reading through i realise how hard it is to balance .

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 08:35:54 AM »

A mirena is the best option for problem bleeding, it will stop it for most people. Best to have a scan first if possible just to rule out any other cause. Tulip I think the advice you've been given is good.

Tulip123

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 10:22:51 AM »

Thanks everyone.

It's been almost a month since I wrote this and this is what I have been doing to try and fix this.

I went to a private GP who has a special interest in menopause. Nobody told me about how to take HRT alongside my own cycle in the beginning. I had been on the contraceptive pill right up until I started HRT so now it looks like my own periods have come back as well as a withdrawal bleed.

The new GP told me to start again 15 days after the first day of my period. So I did that this month, took utrogestan on days 15-26 then started a bleed shortly after for 6 days.

I am hoping I now have the period and withdrawal bleed at the same time. The bleeding this time was not too heavy and only required an average size sanitary towel.

However, all my menstrual cramps have come back because I am no longer taking the contraceptive pill. I haven't had pain this bad since I was 16 and the answer then was to put me on the contraceptive pill which took it away.

Ordinary painkillers aren't helping enough so I think I will need something else on prescription as on those days I am struggling to work as the pain is so bad. I have booked an appointment with my own GP to discuss this.

Tulip123

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 10:27:16 AM »

Hi there Tulip123

Sorry to read about your bleeding. I'm having this problem too. I started hrt Febuary 2022. The same dose as you. Periods fine and bleeding on the 14 days off utrogestan. Most of my peri symptoms dissapeaared to which I didn't realise until now. I felt great with so much energy.

Fast forward to December last year and I felt awful again, periods really heavy, feeling very low. Dr upped my patches to 75 and mini pill to help with the bleeding and I felt worse. I took them off and thought that's it. I'll do it myself. A week later I gave in and replied a patch but only the 50. My bleeding since January has been constant. I bleed for 78 days out of 100. Im currently 3 days without bleeding. I've been back and for the drs who referred me for a scan. Heard nothing. 2 weeks ago I lost it and thought that's it again. My mum didn't need any hrt so I will try and get through this myself. Stopped hrt and the mini pill. 4 days later the bleeding stopped. But the peri symptoms I had previously that I didn't realise had gone are back. I'm aching and tired with no energy. I'm now waiting for an gynaecologist appointment.

What I wanted to say was that although the bleeding was really getting me down daily I should have stuck it out. I told the Dr that I stopped my hrt and she said don't do anything now until you've seen the gynaecologist and see what they say. I don't know if I would have stopped bleeding or not and now I feel awful again.

This perimenopause is so hard. Not knowing what to do or who to speak to. My Dr is not very good about this stuff. Sending you a hug.

Welshmum

Sounds awful! I hope you aren't waiting too long for a scan. I had to pay for a private GP who knew more about menopause to help me! This month has been better and I've updated the post but my bleeding did not last continuously as long as yours. Please update us when you've had your scan. I'm interested to know what they say.

Tulip123

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 10:31:19 AM »

Hi ladies, just reading through some of the topics. Im peri and on crelle mini pill for help with heavy flooding. Ive had blood tests which showed peri and clear smear. Though ive pushed for an ultra sound which im waiting for appointment.    I have not tried hrt yet as the nurse advised mini pill first. But im starting 4th month and the light constant spotting (some days wee bit heavier) , just isnt easing.    Its been the same for going on 6 weeks. Prior to that it was heavy for first few weeks. Its very confusing as u say and i feel we are trying to work it out on our own , as dont feel any real help or interest from dr's.  I had a lot of symtoms in past year and half and im taking a  magnesium suppmement too, which i can say ive felt like my old self , no aches and pains less brain fog, sleeping so much better .  But reading through i realise how hard it is to balance .

I feel like under the NHS we're almost on our own when we have problems. I've had to pay and see someone private who knows a lot more about menopause. I am hoping this month my cycle is right and now I still have the terrible menstrual cramps because I am not on my contraceptive pill as I stopped that last year and my own painful periods have come back. I am going to see my own GP about better pain relief and once we reach age 50 we can get the HRT that has no bleeding. I look forward to that even though I don't want to get older! 

If you're not on HRT, there is a supplement called Menopace available in Boots and supermarkets. I was able to sleep much better just by taking that and I still take it every day now along with the HRT.