Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Sertraline  (Read 8609 times)

Anxiety Annie

Sertraline
« on: May 12, 2023, 01:37:36 PM »

I have just been prescribed Sertraline, to help with my low mood and extremely anxiety,   I am a bit concerned about using AD as I never have!  I worry that I may become addicted and also the side effects.  Has anyone used Sertraline for low mood and anxiety?  Thank you

Songbird

Re: Sertraline
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 01:57:38 PM »

Hi there,
Yep. I have been taking sertraline for, maybe, 18 months now. I have always been troubled with anxiety (to some level). When my anxiety ramped up many years ago, I took escitalopram for a while and then came off it when I felt things had settled down. I felt that my anxiety got worse a couple of years ago (at age 56). I soon went on sertraline and have been on it ever since. I started HRT at the same time. My anxiety is completely under control now. Trouble is, I don't know whether it's the HRT, the sertraline or a combination of both so, for that reason, I have no plans to stop taking the sertraline.
I had a problem with diarrhea for the first few weeks on sertraline but absolutely no other issues.
I can honestly say that I feel bright, calm and happy and certainly feel that I could stop by tapering off (if I wanted to)..
Hope this helps 🙏

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 02:08:34 PM »

Does Sertraline increase hunger pangs?

Songbird: if it ain't broke don't fix, stick with the regime that works.  Saves having to think about 'what next' ;-).

Songbird

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 02:57:06 PM »

I haven’t had any increase in hunger pangs with sertraline, CLKD. I also agree with the “if it ain’t broke”, approach. I’ve no intention of changing anything  ;)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 02:57:59 PM »

If it helps you then it is so worth using. You do not become addicted to AD's but if you stop them suddenly then you can feel unwell due to the shock to the body. If a person wanted to stop it then you just do it slowly tapering off.

AD's are truly wonderful and can save lives. I know I could not cope without mine.

Songbird

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 03:12:02 PM »

Yep, agreed, Flossie.
I think the stigma that, no doubt, existed a while ago is not as prevalent nowadays. The understanding of the intricacies of how our brains work, the understanding of how debilitating mental health issues can be and the obvious benefits of the new drugs mean that it’s perfectly ok to take what you have to take to make you what I would describe as “normal, balanced, happy and not anxious”.

ToriiJ

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 03:18:46 PM »

Hi Annie
I have been taking Sertraline for around 18 months or so too. I have gradually upped the dose over this period and haven’t had any side effects at all. I’m on hrt too, Unfortunately I’m still getting really bad episodes of depression so perhaps need to seek an alternative AD, but they did help me initially.

As Flossie says you can’t get addicted to ADs.

I hope they help x

Anxiety Annie

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2023, 03:32:37 PM »

Thank you to all of you lovely ladies, your advice is sooooo appreciated.  The prescription has been sitting in my kitchen counter for a few days now.  I even get anxiety about the medication that can help me.  I am also on HRT but only a few months in!  When is the best time of day to take, does it make you sleepy ?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 03:38:33 PM by Anxiety Annie »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2023, 04:00:16 PM »

Annie - what did your GP suggest as to when to take it?  Any info in the leaflet in the box? 

I no longer tell any1 about the medication cocktail that I take - they don't know when I change my socks so why tell them about anything else ;-). 

Go for it.  If it doesn't help after 6-8 months, then a rethink perhaps?  I will tell my friend that his night time munchies aren't related ;-)

ToriiJ

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2023, 04:05:52 PM »

Thank you to all of you lovely ladies, your advice is sooooo appreciated.  The prescription has been sitting in my kitchen counter for a few days now.  I even get anxiety about the medication that can help me.  I am also on HRT but only a few months in!  When is the best time of day to take, does it make you sleepy ?

I’ve always taken mine in the morning as soon as I get up, they have never made me sleepy. It’s so normal to be anxious about taking any medication. It’s worth giving them a try and hoping they help you x

Songbird

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2023, 04:12:01 PM »

I take sertraline first thing in the morning too. Like ToriiJ, I never feel sleepy. Best of luck with whatever you decide Annie..

Anxiety Annie

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2023, 04:56:34 PM »

Thank you, ladies, honestly my head is in a different planet at the moment,  I have completely lost the ability to make simple decisions!!! I overthink almost everything.  I do hope this dark cloud passes soon and I can see the sunshine again.
I truly appreciate the honest advice that this group gives, love to you all xx

Tinkerbell

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2023, 05:07:26 PM »

My daughter was prescribed Sertraline two years ago, severe anxiety,ptsd and depression. It has been life changing for her and us as awful to see your child in such a bad way. She has recently cut down from a 100 mg to 50 mg and is doing very well so it isn't addictive.

Katherine

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2023, 06:46:09 PM »

A very trusted GP of mine many years ago, recommended sertraline as the best one for me should I take one, and he said it is calming and not stimulating, so if I were ever to try one that would be it probably. I've only ever taken one AD for 3 months 20 or so years ago and it was one of the older ones, but I gather that the newer SSRIs have fewer side effects and each one affects each person differently and it can be a case of trying one or several before you find the right one, but sertraline sounds like a good place to start. x

Earlybird

• First Flush
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2023, 10:12:00 AM »

I have been on sertraline for a while, it’s working wonders for me. Anxiety has always been a bit of an issue for me and the menopause made it unbearable….It made it go away, it makes me feel like a “normal” person who can deal with life’s ups and downs without worrying myself sick :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7