Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Sertraline  (Read 8607 times)

Anxiety Annie

Re: Sertraline
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2023, 06:54:52 AM »

I really hope you feel the benefits soon, you have got this, ride the storm better days are ahead  :)

tambourine queen

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2023, 07:05:22 AM »

Thank you!

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2023, 07:33:40 AM »

I've just been prescribed sertraline too......

Too scared to take  ::).....

I get so anxious about meds as I react sooo badly to them...the thing that might help me....I reject!

I've just got too much post trauma experience from meds over the years and know my body HATES them.....

I'm so fragile that more illness would tip me over....

But....to possibly get help.....I need to cope with the meds anxiety and being made more ill (which I will be)

I know you'll say it's benefits v risk...and to go for it.

Easier said

I despair at myself.

As you have reacted so severely to medication, I can understand why trying a new one makes you feel anxious. I do not know if this is of any help but perhaps a tablet cutter would be an idea. You could try cutting a tiny bit of the pill and see how that goes. That may be too stressful though so I can understand if that sounds overwhelming.

Would it be possible to try therapy? I was thinking that it could help you with the anxiety and all you are going through. I know you have such a lot on and it must be so hard to cope with it all.

Thank you for your support and suggestions. I appreciate it so much

I'd love to try therapy however, a few issues.

1. Due to having M.E/CFS my energies are extremely limited. I can sometimes only talk for about 5 minutes before I'm wiped out physically and mentally.

2. It would have to be private. I've tried the NHS route over the years for counselling etc. Never again.

3. Cost of private. I can manage that if below 50 quid a go.

4. The holy grail of finding the RIGHT therapist. I did have the right one a few years ago. She changed my life. But moved abroad and no longer practicing  :(
I've such little energy I cannot research...no idea the type of councillor/therapist I'd need? Probably an anxiety, grief, trauma one to help me through my new reality of hell.....and one that did phone appointments. I'm bedridden.

5. I cannot be consistent with appointments as my illness is very unpredictable and usually too ill to chat.

But....my issue is....not inly am I fighting perimenopause...I'm fighting an already debilitating illness on top which makes coping with peri 100 x harder and all the lifestyle things i need to do to help me....I cannot do due to my M E. .......STUCK  :'( :'(

I'd love to have a trained therapist to help me through this.........but.

If anyone knows someone willing to be a bit flexible?......lol

Xxxxx
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 08:12:12 AM by Dorothy Gale »

Flossieteacake

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2023, 10:04:46 AM »

I get so anxious about meds as I react sooo badly to them...the thing that might help me....I reject!

I've just got too much post trauma experience from meds over the years and know my body HATES them.....

But....to possibly get help.....I need to cope with the meds anxiety and being made more ill (which I will be)

Easier said

I despair at myself.

As you have reacted so severely to medication, I can understand why trying a new one makes you feel anxious. I do not know if this is of any help but perhaps a tablet cutter would be an idea. You could try cutting a tiny bit of the pill and see how that goes. That may be too stressful though so I can understand if that sounds overwhelming.

Would it be possible to try therapy? I was thinking that it could help you with the anxiety and all you are going through. I know you have such a lot on and it must be so hard to cope with it all.

1. Due to having M.E/CFS my energies are extremely limited. I can sometimes only talk for about 5 minutes before I'm wiped out physically and mentally.

2. It would have to be private. I've tried the NHS route over the years for counselling etc. Never again.

4. The holy grail of finding the RIGHT therapist. I did have the right one a few years ago. She changed my life. But moved abroad and no longer practicing  :(
I've such little energy I cannot research...no idea the type of councillor/therapist I'd need? Probably an anxiety, grief, trauma one to help me through my new reality of hell.....and one that did phone appointments. I'm bedridden.

5. I cannot be consistent with appointments as my illness is very unpredictable and usually too ill to chat.

But....my issue is....not inly am I fighting perimenopause...I'm fighting an already debilitating illness on top which makes coping with peri 100 x harder and all the lifestyle things i need to do to help me....I cannot do due to my M E. .......STUCK  :'( :'(

Xxxxx

This does make it more difficult but I feel a good therapist would be flexible and understanding. I know how unpredictable M.E/CFS is and there will be times you do not feel up to having the session. I wonder if the M.E/CFS association would have advice on choosing a therapist.

Private therapy does sound like the better option for you. I know some therapists offer sessions at a reduced rate. Maybe it would be possible to have a shorter therapy session which would cut costs and be less taxing for you.

Such a shame the therapist you had is no longer practising. I know how difficult it is to find the right one. I have had two brilliant therapists in my life so there will be another one that can support you.

On a day you are feeling a little less tired maybe you could make a thread on here to see if others have any suggestions for you. I know there are other members with M.E/CFS.

Ama

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2023, 10:33:06 AM »

Hello ladies. I have been on sertraline for about 9 weeks. I can say that it has definitely helped with low mood and anxiety however, I expected to feel a lot better than I’m feeling now.  Please can you share your positive experiences of sertraline and how long it took to feel like your old self, particularly around racing thoughts. Many thanks in advance. 

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2023, 06:36:26 PM »

Hi

I first started taking Sertraline in 2016 when my peri menopausal depression & anxiety got so bad that I was signed off work and under the Crisis Team. I had also just recently started HRT. The very first day I took Sertraline I felt like a tiny window had been opened in my brain allowing a flicker of light in. Over the next 3 weeks I lived in my own little Zen bubble. Certainly not happy, just very still and distant inside. I could almost feel my brain recalibrating itself. Obviously I was also taking HRT alongside which will have helped.

At the time I was under Prof John Studd and he reassured me that for some women who are so severely progesterone intolerant (like me) they need both HRT *and* ADs.

Over the next couple of months I had lots of good days but also still lots of bad days. It wasn't a smooth progression upwards at all. But gradually there were more and more and more good days with just an occasional nasty dip.

tambourine queen

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2023, 06:21:10 AM »

Morning all
Felt quite good yesterday but then got unexpectedly triggered by something that just went round in my brain all night with a bit of feeling sick. Got some sleep but not a lot.
Good to hear folks say they feel better after some time has passed.

FCS

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2023, 08:17:19 AM »

Interested to read this post. I’ve been signed off work with depression/anxiety /menopause and also recovering from low iron (ferritin went down to 14 in May).
I started 50mg sertraline on Friday and feeling so terrible with side effects I had to reduce to 25mg the last couple of days. Dr wants me up to 100mg dose eventually. Side effects are extreme sleepiness, wooziness, weakness and depression.
Need to hear encouraging accounts of side effects passing.
They upped my HRT patch this week too. Please tell me these side effects will pass and that the benefits will kick in..,,🙏🏼

Jules

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2023, 11:52:43 AM »

Easier said

I despair at myself.

Xxxxx

I also have ME though not as severe as you. The fatigue is very debilitating and I'm not sure how menopause has affected it. I have been involved in mental health support services and am an Orange Button holder (specific to my area) so I have some information about support but your doctors surgery should be able to direct you to support by phone initially.  You can also check on line. https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/guides-to-support-and-services/seeking-help-for-a-mental-health-problem/where-to-start/.  There should be support through the service for chronic fatigue syndrome if there's one in your area. Remember that the Samaritans are also a source of help in finding appropriate services. I appreciate how hard it is with such severe fatigue. Try to find someone who will do it for you

tambourine queen

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2023, 07:39:11 AM »

Day 5- I’m going ok. I can feel the drugs shifting things a bit and I’ve had one counselling session to help. But I feel a bit seedy on them during the day- mini bit sick and mini bit sore head. But the fucking insomnia is the worst!!! Who invents a drug to help anxious brains but makes it have the potential to cause bloody insomnia???!!?!?!! It’s ridiculous. It’s started to wear off a bit but if I don’t get to sleep before DH then I am shot as he’s quite snorey! Never usually a problem. So I took myself off to the spare room the other night which I felt bad about but I did actually get about 3 hours which was the most since Tuesday!!! Last night I got back up for half an hour to reset and I did manage to drift off but it took ages with me thinking ‘oh I’m going to fall asleep!’ at the wrong moment!!!!! And mr snores a lot!!!! I just hope this fucks off quickly!
Sorry for the swears!!!

Gnatty

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2023, 11:19:04 AM »

I couldn't manage without earplugs! I use Ohropax Mini Soft as a lot of them are too big and hurt my ears. There is a knack to getting them in, you use one hand to pull on your outer upper ear to  straighten the canal, rub the plug between your fingers to shrink and soften, place in ear and voilá!!! Peace descends. I am a side sleeper and find I only need one in the ear not covered by the pillow.

Nas

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2023, 12:43:53 PM »

Hello all,
I was thinking of requesting sertraline for anxiety. It has ramped up a lot since fibroid pain kicked in, low oestrogen again, daughter off to uni next week and generally “ life stuff”.

Not sure if I can face any side effects though.. still have to work.

Any thoughts?  :o

SarahT

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2023, 01:34:12 PM »

Hi again Nas

I was on sertraline before I started hrt, and it did help anxiety. I stopped it for about a year before I knew I needed an AD to work alongside the hrt.
I did post on here for advice As I didn't want my libido to sink down any lower. someone ( Thanks whoever it was)  said she had been on Mirtazapine, as it was not thought not to affect libido, my gp agreed.
I found it very strong for me, was prescribed half a tablet to be used in the run up to period to help moods, but I needed up on a 1/4 tablet each night of the month as It helped so much. Feel It hard to wake up but that goes quickly for me.

It hasn't affected my libido any more and benefit as well as helping anxiety and moods, is that for me, it helps me sleep too. I take it about an hour before sleep. May be worth considering?
Xx

Nas

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2023, 02:18:55 PM »

Thanks buddy,
Yes I may request it and try a low dose to begin with. I don’t want to be taking it long term, just until I get back on an even keel again.
 X

tambourine queen

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2023, 05:52:02 AM »

Absolutely no sleep last night! Zzzzzzzzzzz
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7