Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Sleep  (Read 1899 times)

Kathleen

Sleep
« on: May 12, 2023, 09:43:20 AM »

Hello ladies.

I am fortunate that my sleep isn't too bad and I usually only wake once or twice a night however I do feel tired and lacking in energy. I have recently decided to adopt a much earlier bedtime to see if this helps me feel better during the day and I wondered if anyone has also tried this?  I am basically sacrificing my evenings in an effort to improve my day time energy. This is a bit annoying as I often feel calmer and more normal by the evening so instead of enjoying that I will be shuffling off to bed. But it's worth a try I think.

The last few nights I have been in bed by 9.15pm but I haven't noticed any great improvements yet. 

In the past when I was very tired I would fall asleep in the late afternoon or evening which was too late in the day and meant that I couldn't get to sleep at bedtime.  I am now trying to push through any daytime tiredness so that I hopefully sleep better at night.

Any thoughts ladies? Has anyone done something similar?  Did early nights help anyone?

I would be interested to read your responses ladies and take care.

K.

Flossieteacake

Re: Sleep
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 11:24:13 AM »

I think that is a good idea. I am in bed by 10PM every night and although I do not sleep right away, I notice it takes me even longer to sleep when  I go to bed later. I think it can take time to wind down and going to bed earlier will help you do that. There is no harm in trying it. :)

Haydo

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 12:49:56 PM »

I too am in bed by 10pm, and I don’t nap during the day (unless I’m unwell) as I find that really does disrupt my sleep.  One tip I was given regarding energy levels, which I think has made a difference to me, is to drink a pint of warm water on rising.  It might be worth a try, and it’s good for you generally

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 08:26:32 AM »

Hello again ladies.

Flossieteacake -  I think you are right about taking time to wind down. That is often the case for me and my mind begins to spin as as I am trying to relax. Maybe an earlier bedtime will accommodate that and still allow for more sleep.

Haydo -  I used to look forward to my naps if I needed them but I will resist them if I'm going to bed earlier. You may an interesting point about the water, I do drink sr first thing but not a lot because it's cold, perhaps warming it up would be better. My grandmother always drunk plenty of warm water which she said helped her digestion.

Btw last night I was very tired so I was in bed by 9.30pm. it took a while to get to sleep but that was okay. Unfortunately I woke at about 2am and couldn't get back to sleep so tired this morning! Hoping for a better experience tonight!

Wishing you well ladies and take care.

K.

Stella2

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 08:54:15 AM »

Hello Kathleen,
I found going to bed around 10 beneficial. I think there is some research stating the best quality of sleep from 10 - midnight or so and I feel the difference when I go to bed later. However, since starting having menopause symptoms I started waking up very early so going to bed early happened naturally. I don't seem to be able to have a lie in and can't sleep in the afternoon so I struggle when I go to bed later.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2023, 11:39:13 AM »

Hello again ladies.

Stella2 -  I think the research said that the hours slept before midnight are especially beneficial.  I do wake earlyish, about six thirty to seven  but I stay in bed because I am tired lol. It certainly makes sense that if we wake early we need to go to bed earlier just to get the same amount of sleep.

I think I tried this experiment a few years ago and kept a note of it in my diary. I am scared to look incase it didn't help at all and I need to believe that something will work to even out my moods and help me feel less tired during the day.

Thank you for your comments and take care.

K.

SarahT

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 02:08:42 PM »

Hi

I am generally in bed by 9.30 or 10.00 as get up 6am.

What really helps me is to turnoff t.v, phone, iPad for a good hour before bed or my mind is far too racy  to relax. I read, so some stretches or a little yoga and it sets a night time routine just before bed.

I have no problem dropping off, but usually 3 or 4 am is when I wake and it's so hard  getting back to sleep. Try not to stress about being awake... Which I know now so hard... But I try to keep relaxed and avoid checking the clock to see how long I have been awake.

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023, 08:30:49 AM »

Hello again ladies.

Sarah T - I understand that no screens before bed is a good idea. I watched a television programme until 9pm last night but still got to sleep okay so hopefully there is some wiggle room there.

A friend of mine was told to never look at the clock when she woke in the night because it just made her feel worse but of course we all still do it!

I am going to continue with this early nights experiment for about a month and then review. It would be great if it helped with my energy levels and mood changes. Time will tell I suppose.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2023, 05:11:33 PM »

Hi Kathleen
Have you tried melatonin? Not sure of the age rule here in UK, but in Australia over 50s can get 14 days worth as a short term sleep aid and used as a reset to get circadian rhythm back in balance.

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2023, 11:30:39 AM »

Hello again ladies.

Penguin - thank you for your suggestion of melatonin. I will see if it is available from pharmacies if not maybe online.

I feel so much better when rested so anything that helps sleep quality and quantity is worth a try.

Thanks again and take care.

K.

Penguin

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2023, 01:56:20 PM »

Ah it isn't available otc and UK websites don't sell it, but you can get from a GP on prescription. My son's osteopath recommended a website you can order from so I could look that up and send ypu by PM of you like? It must be from outside the UK though.

Annoying as available OTC in Singapore and the US. Was in Singapore last Feb and they had rows of it on the shelves so we stocked up.