Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Small traces of blood in urine (very worried)  (Read 1672 times)

MrsG

• First Flush
Small traces of blood in urine (very worried)
« on: May 09, 2023, 01:09:42 PM »

Hello, I'm new to this forum.  Looking for some advice please. I'm 53. Had symptoms of UTI which unusually causes me pain at top of buttocks. 1st Dip test show sky high nitrates and protein but no blood. Given Nitrofurantoin which appeared to work but then buttock pain came back. Did second dip test which showed small traces of blood, protein and nitrates ok.  Given different set of antibiotics, Cefalexin. 3rd urine sample taken and sent off to lab for culture test, this showed, no infection present, protein and nitrates all normal. I have now been referred to urologist and am seriously panicking. I had to see Gynaecologist in Dec for small traces of blood after intercourse, had hysteroscopy, results showed thinning of uterus lining. Could blood in urine be caused by the thinning of the lining?  I was prescribed Ovestine but haven't yet used it.
Thank you for any responses.

Flossieteacake

Re: Small traces of blood in urine (very worried)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 01:19:03 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum MrsG. I am sorry to hear how worried you are.  Blood in the urine could be VA as the lining gets very thin and can tear easily. VA does cause UTI symptoms and your urine sample at the lab shows no infection. It is very likely your symptoms are VA. I would try to use the Ovestin right away. You may want to buy some vaginal moisturiser as well. This can be used to help insert the applicator and you can mix a little with the Ovestin to apply to the outer area.

Most GPs do not seem to understand VA and have no idea how painful it can be so your symptoms could all be VA related. Having blood after intercourse could be due to the vaginal walls being thin. The friction can cause some bleeding.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 01:54:45 PM »

Your GP is lax in waiting to send a sample to the Lab., sadly this is 'normal'.  GPs simply don't seem to understand that vaginal atrophy can mimic repeated urine-infection symptoms really really well.  Once you get the Ovestin started, symptoms should ease.  The idea is to use it every night for at least 2 weeks, if you find that insertion of the applicator then a little of the product on the finger and into the vagina as deep as is comfy. 

My blood after intercourse was a polyp which disappeared at peri menopause although the Gyane wanted to remove it - privately, I told him that I would prefer to wait rather than fund his next holiday!  My VA symptoms begin with a 'fullness' in the lower belly below the b button area.  I know that I need to increase the amount of 'ovestin' for at least a week.

Thiness of the lining is unlikely to be triggered by VA.

Let us know how you get on.  Start treatment ASAP.

MrsG

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 03:59:46 PM »

Thank you for responses, much appreciated. Will update once seen urologist.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 04:57:10 PM »

Hopefully you feel less worried now?

Pip16

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 10:44:54 PM »

Hello, I'm new to this forum.  Looking for some advice please. I'm 53. Had symptoms of UTI which unusually causes me pain at top of buttocks. 1st Dip test show sky high nitrates and protein but no blood. Given Nitrofurantoin which appeared to work but then buttock pain came back. Did second dip test which showed small traces of blood, protein and nitrates ok.  Given different set of antibiotics, Cefalexin. 3rd urine sample taken and sent off to lab for culture test, this showed, no infection present, protein and nitrates all normal. I have now been referred to urologist and am seriously panicking. I had to see Gynaecologist in Dec for small traces of blood after intercourse, had hysteroscopy, results showed thinning of uterus lining. Could blood in urine be caused by the thinning of the lining?  I was prescribed Ovestine but haven't yet used it.
Thank you for any responses.

Hi Mrsg There’s been a few of us recently on here with the same problem. I actually saw blood on tissue after having very very dark pee. I immediately sent a sample in to my surgery. Only blood showed on dipstick and after 2 lots of AB’s over a period of around 3 wks and still only blood on dipstick plus the typical symptoms of a uti, the nurse finally sent sample to lab. Gp phoned me after few days and said immediate referral to urology as no infection just blood. My appt took another 3 long wks and my anxiety was through the roof. Urologist was lovely and an older woman. I had a Cystoscopy plus kidney/bladder scan. Everything was completely normal. Probably a burst blood vessel she said and also to keep going with the ovestin. Use the ovestin as already mentioned. It will definitely help and please try not to worry. The joys of menopause. I’d never heard of VA until I came on here with symptoms. I’m so glad I did

MrsG

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 04:04:04 PM »

Good afternoon Ladies,
Apologies for the slow update. I saw lovely urologist who said it was not unusual for microscopic blood to be present in urine in post menopausal women.  She carried out  a Cytoscopy last Friday and confirmed all ok.
Many thanks to all who replied, particularly CLKD.
This is an amazing forum

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 04:05:53 PM »

Good afternoon Ladies,
Apologies for the slow update. I saw lovely urologist who said it was not unusual for microscopic blood to be present in urine in post menopausal women.  She carried out  a Cytoscopy last Friday and confirmed all ok.
Many thanks to all who replied, particularly CLKD.
This is an amazing forum

I am so pleased to hear everything is okay. :)