Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Changed from oral Utrogestan to vaginal Utrogestan now bleeding?  (Read 1116 times)

Monsoon48

Hi
Been on Evorel 50 patch and Utrogestan 100 tablet, orally for past year. Due to the side effects my GP has suggested I take vaginally, I am now doing this, some of my symptoms are not as severe, however in the last 3-4 days I am now bleeding? Despite being post menopause and no ovaries/ tubes.
Is this normal? As when I was swallowing the tablets, I had no bleeding.
Thanks

Inky

Re: Changed from oral Utrogestan to vaginal Utrogestan now bleeding?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 03:18:16 PM »

Just to say I have just had the same experience - after changing to vaginal utrogestan I have started bleeding, like a period, too. I assume it is because of the change in levels of progesterone in the body - I am taking utro every other day and perhaps it is a withdrawal bleed due to less of that hormone. I wonder how long it takes for the body to build up sufficient levels of progesterone when taking it vaginally.

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 06:36:49 PM »

Hi Monsoon48

I also am post meno.

I also have changed from taking utro orally to vaginally because of the side effects. I believe when changing hrt regime we can have a bleed
 probably our bodies getting used to taking the utro this way xx

Stella2

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 01:37:13 PM »

This happened to me too so I went back to oral. Probably i should have waited but I couldn't get any advice from the GP...

Monsoon48

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 07:31:23 PM »

Hi all,
After nearly 3 weeks of bleeding, like a period, in addition to the histamine intolerance- severe itching! I finally saw my GP and informed her of the bleeding, she informed me the Utrogestan is not working vaginally. I need to stop, other micronised progesterone used vaginally would also not work and cause bleeding. She has now prescribed me Evorel Conti ( combined Estrodiol and  progestin ) transdermal patch. Saying this will have less side effect.
So today I have applied the patch, yes I am still very itchy, luckily I am on a low histamine diet to try and minimise the intolerance and allergic reactions. Unfortunately I am still bleeding, hopefully this will stop soon.
Keep you posted.

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2023, 07:49:50 PM »

Thanks for keeping us posted Monsoon48. let us know how you get on.

Stella2

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 07:00:20 AM »

Hope the bleeding will stop soon. X

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 08:46:54 AM »

Hello Monsoon48 and welcome to the forum.

I have used Utrogestan orally and vaginally in the past and I always felt that it didn't work too well vaginally. We are told that it is just as effective as it is nearer the cervix etc but it never seemed strong enough for me though I imagine that the dose of Oestrogen is also a factor.
I now use Cyclogest pessaries as my progesterone which work very well along with 50mcg of Sandrena gel.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

discogirl

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 12:35:44 PM »

Hi Kathleen

sorry to cut in. can i ask what dose of cyclogest pessaries you use as your progesterone.

thank you xxx