Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GINA for Vaginal dryness  (Read 1410 times)

purplebee

GINA for Vaginal dryness
« on: May 09, 2023, 07:22:02 PM »

Hi Ladies,
Has anyone had any experience of using GINA vaginal pessaries?

Ayesha

Re: GINA for Vaginal dryness
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 07:33:54 PM »

Yes, they are exactly the same as Vagifem prescribed by GP's.

purplebee

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 07:56:22 PM »

Do they work? Have you used them?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 07:56:54 PM »

One has to be 12 months without a period and over 55.  Apparently  ::)

purplebee

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 08:03:56 PM »

I have been on Evorel Conti for 20 years and taking a break to see 'where I am' on the meno journey. It's only been 11 days but I am preparing myself in case I experience any Vaginal dryness.  Just looking for info and anyone who has used them etc.,

Ayesha

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 08:07:21 PM »

Yes, they do work but you have to realise that it can take weeks or months for them to take effect depending on how long you have been suffering from Vaginal Atrophy. They are expensive to buy so I would recommend you try and get them on prescription.

Gina is available for women over 50 who have not had a period in 12 months.
Just read your last post and good to see you are getting prepared for what is a horrible condition.

purplebee

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2023, 08:23:48 PM »

My late mother suffered from the condition. I had a 'taste' of it a few years ago when I had to stop my HRT due to an operation. I eventually went back to HRT and the condition subsided. I'm in my 70's now. Like I mentioned previously, I'm stopping HRT to see if I'm still going through menopause (getting any symptoms).

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2023, 08:33:44 PM »

purplebee - Vagifem (GINA) should really be given to any women once she hits menopause. Don't waste your money paying for it, get your GP to prescribe it. Even in peri menopause, urogenital atrophy can cause so many problems. This local oestrogen treatment will help to protect the pelvic area and I will be using it till I die. DG x

purplebee

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2023, 09:19:05 PM »

Thank you so much Dancinggirl. I have had no problems whilst being on HRT. It's only now I've stopped that I'm finding out my options. Are there any side effects you have experienced? x

purplebee

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2023, 09:26:04 PM »

Dancinggirl.. How long does it take approx for the oestrogen and progesterone to leave the body?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2023, 09:29:57 PM »

Initially I did get a bit of very light spotting in the first week when one has to use it daily (every day for two weeks then 2-3 times each week after that) but I’ve been using Vagifem for over eight years now with no problems. So little oestrogen is absorbed systemically, side effects are very rare. Don’t take any notice of the info re side effects in the leaflet - it’s the same info you get with full systemic HRT so not really applicable. It’s very, very safe to use. I’m 67 now - still get urogenital problems but I dread to think what my fanny would be like without Vagifem. DG x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2023, 09:39:48 PM »

When I came off full HRT (at 60) my flushes etc returned within 48 hrs - which I assume meant my hormones had quickly bottomed out within a day or so. I’m not a doctor or scientist but I don’t think we can store oestrogen or progesterone. If you are still peri menopause then you’ll still be producing hormones - although they will fluctuate.
I believe Hormone levels drop gradually over about a year after your last period. Every women is different and will get a different menopause experience. DG x

purplebee

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2023, 08:21:46 AM »

Thank you DG.. It's been 12 days now and over the last few nights my flushes have returned. Can I ask how you managed them and did they eventually calm down/stop? I'm willing to try and I want persevere and not chuck the towel in just yet..

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2023, 08:42:09 AM »

:thankyou:  DG

Dancinggirl

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2023, 09:44:11 AM »

Everyone is different. I still get flushes and I don’t expect them to subside completely. I’m one of the unlucky ones who suffer flushes etc for far longer. I don’t manage the flushes well or the lack of sleep I’ve just learned to live with it all and adjust my life accordingly. If my body had continued to tolerate HRT I’d still be on it. The progesterone was sadly giving me too many issues. 
Don’t suffer unnecessarily- quality of life is very important and if HRT suited you then go back in it. DG x
Pages: [1] 2