Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: I'm new  (Read 1813 times)

Pixie

I'm new
« on: May 06, 2023, 09:12:49 PM »

Hi,

A little about me. I'm 45 (46 in Sept). I have chronic illnesses Ehlers Danlos syndrome type 3 and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome and autonomic neuropathy.

My periods started changing around 5yrs ago. I started on Evorel Sequi a month ago. Ovestin cream for 2 months.

I'm doing ok, no obvious side effects apart from maybe taking a bit longer to get to sleep on the estrogen only patches part, my mind feels too awake.

I am still having problems down below. I suddenly and randomly get this strong crawling sensation that then after a few hours I start to feel sore and a bit ****ly/stinging. There's nothing obvious to see. It strangely responds to one application of canesten cream in a couple of hours but it's not thrush. Tried Yes, hydromol, nothing really works apart from canesten except its not thrush. Thrush also doesn't disappear with one application of canesten cream.

The first few times it happened was two days before my period pre hrt. It disappeared as my period finished plus for a day or two mid cycle so I assumed it was hormonal. I started ovestin . Still happens yet now it's more random, might have two to three weeks without it then it suddenly appears. Starts at the top between outer lips can go down inside the outer lips. Other times it's inside inner lips near urethra and occasionally vagina opening.
I'm not sexually active, I've changed panty liner brand, changed what I wash with, everything I can think of but no idea what it is or what's causing it. Dr doesn't seem to have a clue either.
Has anyone had similar as vulval atrophy?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 09:24:25 PM by Pixie »

Dierdre

Re: I'm new
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 07:46:25 AM »

How often are you using the Ovestin cream? Most need to use it every night to feel comfortable all the time. Do you apply the cream externally around the vulva area as well as internally, try doing this every night and see if it helps.

Minusminnie

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 08:02:45 AM »

There are nerves that can be irritated in the vulva area. 

Have you noticed any change after whatever you may be eating or drinking ?  I avoid coffee tea (tannins) and spicy food nowadays to avoid what comes out in urine.  Usually ok with a korma. 

I am sorry that you are having this to deal with at age 45.  If it is all becoming more random it does sound like the ovestin is beginning to work.  As Diedre says I would apply some to the vulva area as well.

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2023, 09:20:27 AM »

Vaginal Atrophy can take weeks or even months of daily treatment to improve the situation. If you can include Vagifem into your routine it might work quicker for you alongside the Ovestin.
Daily treatment is often required until you start to feel the benefits then you can decide for yourself when you can reduce the dosage.
Feminine moisturiser also important to use, it's all trial and error until you find what works for you but from what you say, this is definitely Vaginal Atrophy you are suffering from. 

Pixie

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 09:40:32 AM »

I'm using the Ovestin 2x a week now after the initial 2wk nightly dose. I have started using some on the vulva area on those 2 nights a week as well.

I have my initial hrt review in about six weeks so I will ask if I can try the Vagifem and ovestin for vulva. I did not expect to have to deal with this yet. My mum started needing ovestin in her 60's. Her periods stopped at 56.5yrs, her mum 58!  It started so suddenly for me. One month I was fine then all hell broke loose down there! I'm wondering if because I have ehlers danlos syndrome that because my tissues and skin are more fragile that may be why I'm suffering so much. I remember having issues down there before periods started as well.

The mention of drinks triggering it...I am partial to robinsons pear and elderflower cordial, I have a sneaking suspicion it may be contributing to setting it off. I don't drink it every day but then I'll drink several glasses in one day. I haven't had any for a week, last week I had two glasses of the stuff and the next day that awful crawling sensation and soreness  started. I may test my theory to see if it happens again the next time I have some!

Thanks Ladies, it's nice to not feel alone in all this and can actually have an outlet to talk about this stuff with others who understand.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 10:11:55 AM »

Put 'ovestin' up as far as is comfy every night for as long as necessary: some find that they require moisturisers such as 'yes' or 'sylc' as well.  Others use 'vagifem' internally with 'ovestiin' on the vulval area.

When I get the need2P feelings I swallow two Nurofen 3 times a day until the symptoms ease: that is, the sudden nip as the urine flow stops. 

It can be Trial and Error and once a regime is sorted, using every day is fine.  Despite with the leaflet suggests in the box ;-).

I don't think that unless the liquid is particularly acidic, it will affect atrophy.  Let us know how you get on.

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2023, 03:45:55 PM »

As you age the one thing to bear in mind is your body will be changing and its the time for all sorts of things to happen, for instance the food and drink you used to love start to become a problem because of digestive issues. It's like being a child again and weaning ourselves onto new food, but with the aging process its the start of having to leave certain foods out, re-educating ourselves all over again.

It's the same with the vaginal area, the changes there are dramatic and its not surprising that VA treatment has a job on its hands plumping things up again, its a shame you have started early on this particular road but you will feel normal again down there with constant treatment.
Forget two a week doses, totally hopeless instructions in the leaflet, only reduce the dose when you think you are ready to.