Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Heart Beat Changes  (Read 1774 times)

Kathleen

Heart Beat Changes
« on: May 06, 2023, 11:47:17 AM »

Hello ladies.

I thought I would run this past you all to see if it rings any bells.

During my Meno journey I have had heart palpitations but didn't have them investigated as I believed them to be hormonal. As time has gone on they have settled down and I don't have them very often or to the same degree. I don't have any symptoms of heart failure etc so I have pretty much forgotten about them. Just recently however I have noticed that my heart has a fraction of a second delay on some beats. It feels like a tiny pause and then the beats carry on. I noticed this in bed one night and now my attention has been drawn to it I wonder if it is a problem? I have been taking my pulse and I can feel the tiny pauses there as well.

I Googled heart palpitations ( I know I shouldn't but I couldn't resist) and of course scary stuff came up but also it seems these sensations can be nothing to worry about.

It seems that these palpitations can be due to hormones, stress, poor sleep and taking thyroid meds and I tick all those boxes!

I plan to message my GP next week to see if I can get an appointment to have this checked out.

Needless to say I am still experiencing up and down emotions which again I feel are hormonal but having another thing to worry about isn't doing my mental health any good lol.

If any of you lovely ladies have some experiences to share I would love to read your stories.

Wishing you all well and take care.

K.

SarahT

Re: Heart Beat Changes
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 12:06:25 PM »

Hiya Kathleen,

Like yourself I tick all the boxes as to what may be the problem. My heart often skips a beat (makes me cough to catch my breath) and I am sometimes breathless.
Many years ago I had this checked and was found to have a slight heart murmur. Mine needs no treatment, and will not cause me harm, but I am used  to the odd flutter  and 'gaps'  in the rhythm. I have a ridiculously low pulse too.

I would definitely have a word with your g.p. anything like this that comes out of the blue should be checked. Of course it's likely to be yet another 'just one of those things', but they  seem to add up endlessly,.and I do understand this will add to  the anxiety.

And stay away from Dr Google! The illnesses I have convinced myself I may have....but we just can't help ourselves.   Do get your drs appt set up to investigate. Am sure it is nothing to worry about Kathleen, but best to check. Will put your mind at rest.

Am sure others will be able to send suggestions and their own experiences.

Take care of yourself

SarahT

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 04:19:32 PM »

Oh that's a question I don't know the answer to Poppytoast!

It can raise a few eyebrows to have a low pulse can't it? Nice to be different haha. I was in hospital a few years ago for a pre check before an anaesthetic, so you would expect nerves to make the pulse rate go through the roof... Even in that situation my pulse was so stupidly low it set all the warning alarms off and staff were rushing in thinking the worse! 😂 I haven't needed a check for years, so I do hope you get on ok tomorrow.

But yes, any odd changes should be investigated.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 06:46:28 PM »

Have you ever been given a holter monitor? I get what you describe and a 24 hour tape picked up long pauses particulary during the night but Cardiologist said it was normal.

I do have a heart murmur due to MVP and have always had a low heart rate. I wanted an ECHO but NHS won't agree to it as one I had 5 years ago was fine. His parting words were I will live a long time due to low heart rate, guess I have to take comfort in that!

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 06:47:36 PM »

My heart does that almost daily, has done so for years,apparantly harmless pvc's, beat, beat pause a fraction beat beat pause, beat and so on....can be uncomfortable also makes me cough but the Dr at the time I saw classified them as benign. I think its really common in menopause esp although having said that my mom also had this and my daughter does and she is nowhere near post menopause.  Shes also a long distance runner and has had her heart checked out by a cardiologist and was told the same thing, harmless but a nuisance at worst.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2023, 08:15:39 AM »

Hello ladies.

Thank you so much for your replies. You have all put my mind at rest which is very much appreciated!

I will contact the GP next week and hopefully I will be offered an ECG to look at my heart rate.

I will of course post an update as well.

Thanks again ladies and wishing you all well.

K.