Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Muscle and joint pain  (Read 2410 times)

Earlybird

• First Flush
Muscle and joint pain
« on: May 03, 2023, 12:02:06 PM »

Hi, I am new to the forum but not new to the menopause 👎 I have recently changed HRT and I am now experiencing muscle and joint ache/ pain. Could this be due to a decrease in estrogen? Will it settle? Any advice would be appreciated

Flossieteacake

Re: Muscle and joint pain
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 01:28:41 PM »

Hello Earlybird and welcome to the forum. Decreasing oestrogen can cause aches and pains to return.

Earlybird

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 07:33:16 PM »

Thank you! Will the aches and pains subside? I have been on HRT for several years now already and my doctor did suggest I came off HRT altogether.

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 07:44:47 PM »

Thank you! Will the aches and pains subside? I have been on HRT for several years now already and my doctor did suggest I came off HRT altogether.
Why did the doctor suggest coming off HRT?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 08:25:11 PM »

HRT can be taken for life but sadly some DRs do not seem aware of this. You are entitled to stay on HRT and it sounds like it is not enough for you as you have started to have aches and pains again.

DottyD68

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 09:58:06 PM »

Hi Early Bird,

Muscle pain (particularly legs) was one of my first menopausal symptoms unbeknown to me. It was quite debilitating at times and I'm a pretty active person. Lots of other symptoms came and went and came back again so eventually after 7 years I decided to try HRT mainly to sort out the leg pain. It went almost instantly. I'm no expert but from my experience it maybe a lack of oestrogen causing the aches to reoccur so maybe increase your oestrogen dosage. I hope you get sorted soon.

Earlybird

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 10:17:21 PM »

I feel like I have aged overnight! It’s awful.

Earlybird

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 10:35:45 PM »

Why did the doctor suggest coming off HRT?
No other reason than I had been on it for a number of years. I have been happy and settled on HRT 👍

suzysunday

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 08:25:12 PM »

Don't come off it if you don't want to. What's the point? 

flossie fiddler

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2023, 09:31:23 AM »

If you’re feeling well and happy on HRT stay on it. I took a 2.5 year break after being on it for 6 years, just before the pandemic.  I felt like an old lady after 4 months, and the worst symptoms were joint and muscle pain.

Back on it now and so much improvement. I’m fortunate to have an excellent nurse who is so clued up on HRT and menopause, and understands.

If you haven’t already, check out the Balance app. Lots of info and great advice

Earlybird

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2023, 02:47:29 AM »

It’s definitely not the right time for me to come off HRT and maybe upping my dose will help. I will go back to my gp  :)

Earlybird

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2023, 08:45:25 AM »

The decision for me to come off HRT was because I had an early menopause so I was on HRT for the protection it offers for my bones. I have now reached the average age of menopause and I suppose the question then turned to do I need HRT for symptom control. I was feeling well but didn’t want to come off it yet so with guidance from my gp we decided to try gel rather than tablets. I think that the dosage isn’t right for me so if the joint pains aren’t going to settle on their own I will up the dose.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2023, 09:31:23 AM »

As HRT can be take for life there really is no need to come off it. It is good to hear you will be going back on it.

sheila99

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2023, 04:53:54 PM »

I would start by looking at equivalent dosage of the 2 hrt products. If the gel gives you less oestrogen than the pills did the easiest option is to increase the gel. It's possible you absorb differently. What we're you on before and what are you on now?

Earlybird

• First Flush
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2023, 06:57:53 AM »

I was on progynova 2mg and I am now on 2 pumps of gel