Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan and insomnia  (Read 977 times)

Elaine90

Utrogestan and insomnia
« on: May 04, 2023, 12:33:52 PM »

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, I was wondering if any of you ladies could let me know your experiences with HRT and insomnia?

Essentially, I had definitive surgery a few years ago due to severe endometriosis. Immediately after surgery I began to suffer insomnia, which never properly resolved.

Anyway in the hope of sorting that and other problems out, I started HRT (Oestrogel and Utrogestan capsules) nearly 3 months ago. Oestrogel is OK, but when I take Utrogestan my insomnia becomes much worse. It's dose dependent, but even half a capsule will keep me awake half the night. I've tried altering the time of day (morning vs evening) and altering methods of taking it.

Has anyone found a progestin that doesn't cause insomnia? Thanks

sheila99

Re: Utrogestan and insomnia
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 01:15:02 PM »

I find if I take it vaginally my sleep is worse but orally it's better though I'm still dopey in the day. The norethisterone in evorel conti patches didn't affect sleep at all though of course you may react differently. My insomnia was from oestrogen deficiency.

Gilla999

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 04:03:42 PM »

Utrogestan also caused me insomnia when I tried it orally - but when I use it vaginally I have no problems at all (as it's not metabolised by the liver, so side effects are minimal) xx

Elaine90

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 08:11:07 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  :)
I find Utrogestan bad whichever route I take it, so will be trying the evorel conti to see if that works any better
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 08:12:38 PM by Elaine90 »

discogirl

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 06:05:46 AM »

I find Utrogestan bad whichever route I take it, so will be trying the evorel conti to see if that works any better

Hi Elaine

I used to take utrogestan vaginally at night but my sleep was still shockingly bad. I started taking it orally at night and I seemed to notice it seemed to wake me up also. I had a three day break from the utrogestan altogether and I slept really well on those nights. I am at the moment trialling taking it vaginally in the mornings and just hoping it stays up there!!!

Gerry

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 04:37:44 PM »

Hi Elaine

I used to take utrogestan vaginally at night but my sleep was still shockingly bad. I started taking it orally at night and I seemed to notice it seemed to wake me up also. I had a three day break from the utrogestan altogether and I slept really well on those nights. I am at the moment trialling taking it vaginally in the mornings and just hoping it stays up there!!!

I have this same problem of it keeping me awake now when my sleep was fine before. I was ok on 100mg but now on 200 a night i can`t sleep and am nearly hallucinating it is so bad now.

I will skip tonights dose and see if it helps if I take it tomorrow morning instead.

Eager to hear if it helped you!

Can`t find info on this anywhere, so your post is really helping me not feel so alone. Thank you!

Tracy Allgonewrong

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 07:43:59 PM »

Hi Elaine90,
HRT didn't change a thing for me - I was still suffering from terrible insomnia. Then I started taking melatonin. As soon as I started with the melatonin, I slept like a baby. I buy the one from Eurohealth labs.