Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Sinusitis  (Read 3901 times)

Allthecoachhouse

• First Flush
Sinusitis
« on: May 02, 2023, 01:08:17 PM »

Hey 👋 hello. I am new and apologies if this has already been covered.
I have been on HRT for 3 or 4 years and all is well ….was! I am 57 and taking 2 pumps gel of Estradiol per day with 100mg of Utrogestan daily (at bedtime). Of late I have been getting severe sinusitis …earache, eye socket pain, cheek bone pain, top gum pain and headache all on the right side. I thought it was migraine at first. I have had the occasional migraine over the years but when I say occasional I mean occasional ….about every 10 year! The sinitus is every couple days. I think this may be Utrogestan side effects and posting here to see if anyone else has had same and any solutions. Should I reduce the amount of Utrogestan? review my dosage for both? Address my symptoms (with what?) and keep everything as is? Any ideas…..

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sinusitis
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 03:12:46 PM »

Hi! yes this seems to be triggered by peri-menopause and/or replacement therapy.  If you put 'sinus' into the search box you will find the various threads.

:welcomemm:

Could this be trigenimal neuralgia - it's a short, sudden, stabbing pain which causes most of the symptoms U describe.

primrose3

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 01:22:13 PM »

hello allthecoachhouse,

sympathies with the sinusitis, rang a lot of bells with me. Have suffered with this all my life but started HRT last year, was upped to 100 estradot patch  and nightly utrogestan as symptoms kept getting worse my dose was upped again. I am 63 and thought I'd start to help with muscles, anxiety, energy etc It actually made everything worse and interestingly the sinuses just became so inflamed, painful teeth etc just like you, went to see ent camera showed no infection, back with menopause clinic said it was histamine response to hrt, had to stop, which i did in January this year, 4 months later had the worse case of sinusitis in my life, 3 courses antis, stabilising now ish!
the hrt has definitely not worked for me and particularly the sinuses, it is clear the hormone balance plays a big part in how mucus membranes operate in the body including sinuses, i am not sure what to suggest for you as you are probably getting other  benefits from the hrt, if the sinuses aren't infected then you could try sinus rinses, company called neilmed have a lot of info on website and you can buy the kit at boots, this is beginning to help, the salt in the solution draws out moisture from the inflamed sinus and shrinks it apparently!
Im no expert though and it is all trial and error, good luck to you, let me know how it goes, I do understand.

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 05:26:07 PM »

Allthecoachhouse
I have similar,  all on the right side, but hadn't linked it with hrt as I'd had a bad cold in February and it started following that. However I only started hrt at the end of December so could definitely have worsened everything, including how my body reacted to the cold. I am taking sequential hrt so only have utrogestan 12 days a month and the issue is there all month long so I don't think it is specifically the utrogestan for me, rather an overall shift in fluid balance. My GP says rhinitis and says the reason it is one side is probably to do with my anatomy, and that all you'd need is one of the sinus turbinates (spelt?) to be slightly smaller on one side to make drainage harder and swelling more likely. Don't know for sure but this is his view. I don't really have any solutions, wish I did, but I'm going to try the Neilmed stuff mentioned above as I've heard it is really good. Acupuncture has also helped me get a temporary shift in fluid when it's really bad, but doesn't last. Good luck and I hope it eases for you soon x

EDSer in Ireland

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 07:57:21 PM »

Holy HRT batwoman!  :o :o :o  HRT causing sinus problems!!!??? Wow! 

I've been struggling with severe sinusitis my whole life, but it's so much worse since I've been on HRT (last 11 years). This is definitely worth researching! Thank you for posting!

Re: sinus rinses -- yes!  Saline sprays or Nelimed systems are brilliant!!  I've been using them for about 25 years. I also get a steroid spray on prescription -- Avamyst, Dymista or you can get Beconase or Flixonase over the counter. When I have a flare, my partner makes me special tea by brewing fresh thyme, ginger, lemon and honey. It helps with mucus, sore throat from drainage and cough. It tastes lovely too. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Jeanjeannie

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 08:39:11 PM »

Hi
I have only been on hrt- evorel conti 50 for 3 weeks and almost immediately the left hand side of my face under eye and around nose etc constantly felt it was burning.
And I know I wasn’t having a hot flush.

I get allergies but this seemed different. Washed out my nasal passage with saline (nice!) and the feeling went away. Went to the dr and insisted she gave me antibiotics. It seems to have calmed down a lot but I found the whole thing really strange and I am comforted a little bit that I may not be going mad thinking it was caused by the hrt!

Bindi

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 01:07:47 PM »

I have found my sinuses are affected by my meno ive suffered with it for 2 yrs like a permanent flu symptons..as some of you know i was put on ovestin for my VA which i found helped all my other symptoms and that included my sinuses so i obviously absorbed it well..Ive had to go off the cream until some follow up after some scans  were done..i was on the cream 7mths down to once a week use feeling close to normal..5wks off the cream and everything is comming back headaches pains sinus issues so im positive i need just a little estrogen..hopefully it sorts its self out after gyno appt next month..as the cream was good for me i felt

primrose3

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 11:24:45 AM »

Ed ser in Ireland,
hello, was just wondering if you could send the recipe for that  tea? anything that might help, also with the neilmed do you ever use the hypertonic solution, like 2 sachets in your sinus rinse, was wondering if you did how it helped?
Just begun with the neilmed, so all a bit new, i used to use a neti pot before, this sinus rinse is more forceful for sure!
Understand how you are with this sinusitis lark, had it for a lifetime too, top of the morning to you!