Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT and mental well-being  (Read 531 times)

WobblyNic

• First Flush
HRT and mental well-being
« on: May 04, 2023, 05:05:13 AM »

« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 08:15:12 PM by WobblyNic »

Dotty

Re: HRT and mental well-being
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 06:12:38 AM »

Hi which hrt are you taking ?

Losingtheplot

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 06:46:39 AM »

Morning

I’ve been on HRT for about 18 months. About a year ago my progesterone was changed to Utrogestan due to awful anxiety. At the same time I was put on short term diazepam and longer term anti-depressants to help with the anxiety. Fast forward several months and the anxiety had calmed but the depression had become worse. I came off the tablets as the side effect list included depression (!) and felt better for a while.

Fast forward to now and I feel absolutely awful. I’m totally uninterested in most aspects of life. I work at home and I’m desperate to get out of the house but then when the opportunity arises I don’t want to. I’ve stopped exercising, piled on loads of weight and I’m flat and tearful often. I don’t walk my poor dog as I can’t seem to get myself out of the door. I have trouble getting out of bed and some days motivation and concentration are virtually non-existent which is not at all helpful for my quite involved job. My jaw is so tight with tension and I think I’m grinding my teeth in the night.

I really feel like the HRT is playing a big part in this and I’m considering removing the current patch and leaving it at that. I inject three times a week for a condition and I’m just sick of being full of chemicals.

Are there any real reasons that I shouldn’t just stop HRT?

Hi hunni

Ahh you sound like you have had a right time of it bless you!!! Stopping the HRT is an option and then you can see if there is any improvement in your mood etc?
Maybe the anti depressants aren't the right ones for you as can be trial and error to find right one (I went through this for many years before finding the eureka moment for Prozac which helped me) And strange enough the side effects on some anti dep does list depression as a side effect!
xxxxxxxxx

Perinowpost

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 07:00:13 AM »

Hi WobblyNic

It could be that continuous progesterone is too much for you. Lots of us take it sequentially to give our bodies a break as daily utrogestan is too much.

As Dotty says what hrt are you on? This would give us a clearer picture. Also what are the injections and are they likely to impact in any way?x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 07:01:45 AM »

Morning

I’ve been on HRT for about 18 months. About a year ago my progesterone was changed to Utrogestan due to awful anxiety. At the same time I was put on short term diazepam and longer term anti-depressants to help with the anxiety. Fast forward several months and the anxiety had calmed but the depression had become worse. I came off the tablets as the side effect list included depression (!) and felt better for a while.

Fast forward to now and I feel absolutely awful. I’m totally uninterested in most aspects of life. I work at home and I’m desperate to get out of the house but then when the opportunity arises I don’t want to. I’ve stopped exercising, piled on loads of weight and I’m flat and tearful often. I don’t walk my poor dog as I can’t seem to get myself out of the door. I have trouble getting out of bed and some days motivation and concentration are virtually non-existent which is not at all helpful for my quite involved job. My jaw is so tight with tension and I think I’m grinding my teeth in the night.

I really feel like the HRT is playing a big part in this and I’m considering removing the current patch and leaving it at that. I inject three times a week for a condition and I’m just sick of being full of chemicals.

Are there any real reasons that I shouldn’t just stop HRT?

I am so sorry to hear you are feeling so low. Have you told your GP? It is important you get support through this.

I can see your dilemma about stopping HRT because if low oestrogen is contributing to your depression then stopping the HRT will not be helpful for you.  It is also possible the ultrogestan is contributing to your depression as it can have this effect on some people. If you do feel it is the HRT then it is a good idea to stop it just to see how you feel. You can always go back on it if you wish too.

You may like to hire a dog walker to walk your dog just to help put your mind at rest over that. The more support you have the better you will feel as it will take some pressure off you.