Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: NHS routine bowel screening  (Read 5008 times)

Katejo

NHS routine bowel screening
« on: May 02, 2023, 01:27:19 PM »

I have just received this for the first time. How long does it usually take to get the results? Does it work in a similar way to the mammogram in that you get a quick response if they find a problem but a longer wait usually means that it us clear?  If someone is recalled,  might it still be a false alarm (as my 1st mammogram was)?  It would just be useful to know before I do it and send it off.  Thanks

Minusminnie

Re: NHS routine bowel screening
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 01:36:33 PM »

I had a letter about a week after sending the sample off to say that no further test was needed.

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 02:05:20 PM »

I had a letter about a week after sending the sample off to say that no further test was needed.
Thanks Minusminnie 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 03:03:36 PM »

I send my sample off and think no more about it, unless it's 3+ weeks.  It's a great way of catching 'things' .  As well as being less messy than the original tests were  ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 07:45:00 PM by CLKD »

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 04:44:14 PM »

Mine was positive and it was a small bleeding polyp that was benign. Plenty of reasons it might be positive and a false alarm, including diverticulosis,  piles, fissures, polyps,  inflammatory bowel conditions etc. Even with a positive the majority of colonoscopies do not come back with anything sinister so please do not worry. I've not been called for my first mammogram yet but am sure I'll also be worried about a recall, any kind of screening makes me nervous like that these days unfortunately!!

Penguin

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 04:45:15 PM »

Oh and my positive came back in two days and I got a call from the doctor, not a letter.

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 08:39:51 PM »

Mine was positive and it was a small bleeding polyp that was benign. Plenty of reasons it might be positive and a false alarm, including diverticulosis,  piles, fissures, polyps,  inflammatory bowel conditions etc. Even with a positive the majority of colonoscopies do not come back with anything sinister so please do not worry. I've not been called for my first mammogram yet but am sure I'll also be worried about a recall, any kind of screening makes me nervous like that these days unfortunately!!

Odd as I was eligible for a mammogram at 50 but have had to wait until 60 before being offered a routine bowel one. I have had 3 mammograms already. The letter which came with mine says that they are just starting to offer them at 54, 56 and 58 but I didn't get one then.

Dierdre

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 10:17:39 PM »

I have just received this for the first time. How long does it usually take to get the results? Does it work in a similar way to the mammogram in that you get a quick response if they find a problem but a longer wait usually means that it us clear?  If someone is recalled,  might it still be a false alarm (as my 1st mammogram was)?  It would just be useful to know before I do it and send it off.  Thanks

I got all clear results back in a week.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 08:12:03 AM »

I believe that some Health Authorities are sending out bowel screening a 'little earlier' than NICE suggests, as more younger people are being affected by issues which may go undetected.

Let us know how you get on.

Penguin

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 09:59:19 AM »

I'm 48 but had constipation and left side discomfort, so my doctor requested it. My husband is now 61 but was called for screening at 55. At that point they also offered a screening sigmoidoscopy (a colonoscopy that just does first part of your bowel) but I think they have phased that out as the new poo test is more accurate than the one they were using previously. I'm really glad to hear they are rolling it out earlier and hope that becomes nationwide.

Re mammograms, I was told 50-52 I'd be called, how often fo they then call you after the first one?

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 11:34:34 AM »

Every 3 years.

Penguin

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2023, 01:20:38 PM »

Thanks CLKD  :)

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2023, 04:35:24 PM »

I'm 48 but had constipation and left side discomfort, so my doctor requested it. My husband is now 61 but was called for screening at 55. At that point they also offered a screening sigmoidoscopy (a colonoscopy that just does first part of your bowel) but I think they have phased that out as the new poo test is more accurate than the one they were using previously. I'm really glad to hear they are rolling it out earlier and hope that becomes nationwide.

Re mammograms, I was told 50-52 I'd be called, how often fo they then call you after the first one?
Every 3 years for me so I had 1 at about 51/2 , 1 at 54/5 and 1 at 57 or 58. Think my last one was in 2021.

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2023, 12:38:06 PM »

I did the sample this morning and have posted it off so fingers crossed that it is ok. I want to get it out of the way before booking another trip away.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2023, 08:06:15 PM »

Of course.  Let us know how you get on and where you might be going on holiday ;-) 4 which we have a thread  :D
Pages: [1] 2 3