Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: VA Pessary reactions  (Read 823 times)

Wren

VA Pessary reactions
« on: April 30, 2023, 12:38:36 AM »

I was using Vagirux & Ovestin externally but still felt uncomfortable. 
I previously posted Mid December that I was told to stop systemic and local HRT pending hysteroscopy as Utrogestan 100 wasn't controlling the bleeding in the first 6 months.  I continued with Ovestin externally.  All was ok and I will probably get the Mirena so that I can re-commence HRT.
I got a prescription for the Estradiol pessary - this wasn't Vagifem or Vagirux.  It's made by a different drug company to those and on the box it's just named 'Estradiol'.  I was desparately burning and sore, worse than ever before, for 2 weeks before I realised it was the pessary.  I had used up 3 Vagirux mixed in within the first week so that hindered my realisation.  The ingredients of this pessary are the same as Vagifem and Vagirux.  I stopped the pessary and was better after 48 hours.  Tried another and it came back and was better again 48 hours later.  I used nothing for a week, than cautiously used Ovestin mixed with Yes VM whilst I waited for a Vagifem prescription which I'd asked the Practice Nurse if I could try after I'd explained my reaction to this new pessary and my suspicion that Vagirux maybe didn't suit me either.
I have only used it 2 days so am waiting to see if Vagifem suits better than Vagirux.  I'll never try the other pessary again and having never used Vagifem before, and as these did have a blue applicator, not white like Vagirux,  I did think that is what is was - lesson learnt to read things properly.
There was a recent post where Kirsti had an issue with Vagirux even though the ingredients are the same as Vagifem.
Has anyone else been given a different pessary to Vagifem or Vagirux? 
I have searched but couldn't find anything. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: VA Pessary reactions
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 08:10:54 AM »

It may be the fillers or the packaging which sets up a reaction rather than the active ingredient.

MayB fill in the yellow form to report your experiences with it?

In the mean time, treat the vaginal area gently.  Let us know how you get on.

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 08:14:05 AM »

Yes,that's exactly what happened to me,the pharmacists can tell me til they're blue in the face that they're exactly the same BUT vagirux is obviously used with cheaper ingredients as the pharmacist told me the Dr would have to specifically prescribe vagifem if that's what I wanted because vagifem is double the price,so speak to your Dr and get them to specify exactly what you want

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 11:03:52 AM »

Too many posts coming up now about Vagirux not being suitable compared to Vagifem. Obviously something not right regarding the composition of Vagirux.

Wren

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2023, 12:40:04 PM »

Thank you for your responses.

This wasn't Vagirux, Vagifem or Gina, but another make of estradiol pessary which I wasn't aware of.  (Gina is made by the same drug company as Vagifem).  A different drug company makes this one.    All 3 drug companies use the same ingredients. So I was wondering if anyone else was aware of/had tried it?

I had only previously used Vagirux.  The first time I used Vagifem was the last 2 nights.  I specifically asked for Vagifem after my experience with this latest pessary.  However, I've had a sleepless night using the Vagifem now.  I think I may have become intolerant to the fillers unless I haven't given my body long enough to recover, maybe.  Who knows, it's such a frustrating condition anyway isn't it?  The symptoms I had using Vagirux could have been an intolerance to the fillers or the VA itself - they're the same.
Hopefully this will wear off after 48 hours again and I'll proceed gently.  Use ovestin mixed with Yes VM at first and go from there.  Maybe try the Vagifem in a couple of months time to see how it reacts so I know for certain. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023, 04:20:29 PM »

Let us know Wren!