Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Antidepressants  (Read 4781 times)

Flossieteacake

Re: Antidepressants
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2023, 05:43:35 PM »

Thank you
*flossieteacake* I hadn’t actually stopped the ADs - was on a low dose. I’ve been back on the increased dose for two weeks now but no sign of any improvement.
I am going to go up slightly higher (GP aware) and then give it another two weeks but after that may need to switch to a different one.
I really appreciate these messages. I had started to fear that now I’m two years into full menopause that this might be how I am now with no hope of getting better.
I’m trying to be rational and think that women must still improve on the right anti depressant at this age.

Oops. sorry for the confusion. If after six weeks you do not feel any improvement then that will tell you if you need to try a different one.

Never think you will always feel this way! We will have times were things feel bad but they will not last. Nobody is too old for an AD and they can be life changing in the sense they can give people the lift they need to be able to feel okay.

Mollymoo

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2023, 06:45:29 PM »

I was on citalopram and hrt for years. My mood was so low i went back to the gp who said i was depressed and it wasnt my hormones so she gave me fluoxetine 20mg.
I took the decision to stop the HRT to try to work out what is going on with my body and I feel really good. My husband said I am back to the happy bubbly person I used to be and he doesn't need to watch what he is saying anymore.
Isn't it interesting  how we feel we need HRT.
I don't want to speak to soon but so far so good. I will stick with the ADs

Flossieteacake

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2023, 07:00:28 PM »

I was on citalopram and hrt for years. My mood was so low i went back to the gp who said i was depressed and it wasnt my hormones so she gave me fluoxetine 20mg.
I took the decision to stop the HRT to try to work out what is going on with my body and I feel really good. My husband said I am back to the happy bubbly person I used to be and he doesn't need to watch what he is saying anymore.

What lovely news! I am so happy to hear you are feeling better MollyMoo. :)

Sallyyy

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2023, 08:27:05 PM »

Thank you so much for posting Mollymoo - I’m glad you are feeling better. How long did it take for things to improve.
I think the HRT publicity has generally been really positive for women but I do think there is a part of it that can cause problems when it’s not the answer to everything at this age x

Losingtheplot

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2023, 06:46:32 AM »

Hi hunni,

Fluoxetine has helped me in the past too! And this is such a lovely post to read as you now are feeling back to yourself and found what you needed to help that happen.  I am truly so happy for you and long may it continue. Take care xxxx

Mollymoo

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2023, 07:22:57 PM »

Thank you so much for posting Mollymoo - I’m glad you are feeling better. How long did it take for things to improve.
I think the HRT publicity has generally been really positive for women but I do think there is a part of it that can cause problems when it’s not the answer to everything at this age x
Hi Sally
I felt an improvement in my mood within a couple of weeks. It's been about 8 weeks now,still no hrt and the only ymptoms I am getting are waking in the night with a drymouth, very hot when I go for a walk but not flushing, a little dry below but I can cope with all this.

I do know that there was benefits from the hrt because my bone health improved but I am going to keep an eye on this and if all good in 6 months I will stick with anti d,s rather than HRT xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2023, 08:35:06 AM »

R U treating the 'dryness below'?  Let us know how you get on.

Sallyyy

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2023, 06:01:58 PM »

Hello I’m just restarting this post if that’s ok. I continued on clomipramine and increased to 75mg but unfortunately couldn’t sleep at all so dropped down to 60mg.
Had started to see a bit of improvement but sadly this stopped nearly two weeks and severe anxiety is back.
Dr has said to try for another 3 weeks but then may need to switch which I’m terrified about because I respond badly to ads initially.
Sertraline and citalopram have been suggested as possible options.
Would really appreciate any experience / advice. I’m two years post menopause and doing all the self help too.
I’m really struggling  :'(

Flossieteacake

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2023, 06:30:32 PM »

It could be you need the full six weeks to see an improvement. Do you think you can wait? If you feel the side effects are too bad then you can.always stop them.

It is unfortunate it can take time to find the right AD but hang on in there as you will find it.

Sallyyy

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2023, 07:13:14 PM »

Hi - I’ve been on the increased dose for 10 or 11 weeks. Things had started to improve a bit but have gone backwards again for last couple of weeks.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2023, 07:45:13 PM »

Hi - I’ve been on the increased dose for 10 or 11 weeks. Things had started to improve a bit but have gone backwards again for last couple of weeks.

Oh I see. I am sorry to hear this. Could it be something outside this such as you are anxious about something?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2023, 07:59:47 PM »

You are on the right road.  The blips/set backs are often worse when we have felt improvement.  It may be that in a few days you will feel more settled.  When I had bounce back symptoms I would go into the doldrums, "Oh NO, NOT again" ........ however, it never became worse than prior to taking the meds and didn't last for long.

I take escitalopram 10mg at night and 5mg in the morning; if I wake feeling down for more than 3 mornings in a row I up the5mg to 10mg at breakfast which usually helps.  Once I feel stable I drop to 5mg at breakfast.

Sallyyy

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2023, 10:20:43 PM »

Thank you both for replying. It’s so scary to be in this position when I’m already on the medication. (I’ve been in this position twice before and even though there were always little set backs it’s always kicked in by now.)
I’m going to really try all the other self help things for the next two or three weeks to see if things calm down.
Escitalopram has also been mentioned as a possibility as well as sertraline and citalopram. How do you find it for anxiety ?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2023, 10:48:51 PM »

My teen daughter was put on Sertraline for anxiety two years ago. It has been life changing for her and she has now reduced from 100mg to 50mg.
GP did say that Sertraline helped more with anxiety.

Sallyyy

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2023, 12:35:13 PM »

That’s useful to know Tinkerbell. I’m glad your daughter is doing well.
How did she find it with initial side effects?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4