Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: transition from patch to gel  (Read 1240 times)

HaRuHaRu

transition from patch to gel
« on: April 21, 2023, 06:42:33 PM »

Hi everyone. Sorry for another question… I have searched on here but can’t find the answer although I’m sure it’s been asked before.

When changing from oestrogen patch to oestrogen gel, do you transition gradually by cutting your patch and adding the equivalent of gel, or do you one day just stop the patch and change to gel?

I’m super sensitive to hormone changes but imagine as it’s the same dose equivalent then that won’t be a problem, unless if the patch absorbs continuously and the gel is more of an up and down way of absorbing?

Thank you <3 xx

HaRuHaRu

Re: transition from patch to gel
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 06:54:03 PM »

I’m sorry this has posted 4 times. I’ve contacted a moderator so hopefully the other 3 can get deleted as I can’t seem to delete them myself.

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023, 05:57:19 AM »

Don’t worry about it…it’s been happening a lot just recently. 😊

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023, 08:18:18 AM »

Hi there - I have used patches for most of the time I've been on HRT. A few years ago as a result of so many positive stories from women about the wonders of gel - I changed to Sandrena and did this by just changing immediately. However my flushes and sweats started to come back. Now usually with HRT the advice is to persevere and tweak the dose until symptom relief is obtained, but in my case, as I knew the patches worked perfectly - and that was not the reason to try to change ( I wondered if I would feel even better!) - I thought there was no need to persevere with the gel so I returned to patches and all was well.

So it depends on your reason for changing? Also what patches and dose you are on and what you have been recommended to change to? Maybe do it gradually eg have a few weeks of half patches and half gel? See what happens?

Hurdity x

HaRuHaRu

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 09:43:25 PM »

Don’t worry about it…it’s been happening a lot just recently. 😊

Thanks Dotty <3

HaRuHaRu

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 09:53:04 PM »

Hi there - I have used patches for most of the time I've been on HRT. A few years ago as a result of so many positive stories from women about the wonders of gel - I changed to Sandrena and did this by just changing immediately. However my flushes and sweats started to come back. Now usually with HRT the advice is to persevere and tweak the dose until symptom relief is obtained, but in my case, as I knew the patches worked perfectly - and that was not the reason to try to change ( I wondered if I would feel even better!) - I thought there was no need to persevere with the gel so I returned to patches and all was well.

So it depends on your reason for changing? Also what patches and dose you are on and what you have been recommended to change to? Maybe do it gradually eg have a few weeks of half patches and half gel? See what happens?

Hurdity x

Thanks Hurdity, I’m on 100 Evorel patch - I was put on this dose because of severe PMS/PMDD with perimenopause making my symptoms much more intense and erratic. 

The patch is helping but I’m trying Estrogel as I began reacting to the patch - my skin is very sore and scaring. Ideally I’d stay on a patch as I think it gives more of a continuous hormone, which makes sense for me seems as I react badly to fluctuations. I’d like to try Estradot but doc says they are impossible to get hold of. So that’s why I’m changing…

I’ve started cutting the patch and adding gel but going to switch straight to gel next week and stop faffing - I’m chronically ill and have alarms throughout the day for other meds and I just want to settle on something.

I also reacted badly to Utrogestan so speaking to doc yet again in May with what to do about progesterone.

Sorry that was a very long answer!