Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: fungal skin infection worse on estradiol patch  (Read 1766 times)

KaraShannon

fungal skin infection worse on estradiol patch
« on: April 29, 2023, 12:31:46 PM »

Hi all

Just something to note, I'm not sure what to make of it yet.

I was getting on top of a fungal skin infection while on the combined patch (evorel sequi), but the other night I changed to the estradiol only patch and that night I woke with the skin itching (not happened at all before) and it's looking worse.

I will carry on treating it, I did let the treatment slip a bit because it was starting to get better.

But posting this because I have read that oestrogen that is too high (mine was) can encourage infection and as some of you know I had cellulitis for the first time in my life a month or so ago.

Just of interest really.  Anyone else noticed anything like this?

Mollymin

• First Flush
Re: fungal skin infection worse on estradiol patch
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 09:53:51 PM »

I’ve got a fungal infection under my boobs that isn’t responding to the usual treatment of clotrimazole despite my doing everything correctly ( I’m a retired nurse)
Never had this before but it started a week after I started using estradot patches. Only been on hrt for 6 weeks.

Songbird

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 01:59:24 PM »

How strange. I was given clotrimazole and a hydrocortisone cream for a skin complaint between my boobs. There's a reddish scratch and a few acne-like spots near it. The spots have gone but the reddish patch hasn't.
I only considered that the HRT patch would be to blame if the red affected area was actually under the patch but maybe not?? 🤔

KaraShannon

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 12:50:25 PM »

Hi Mollymin and Songbird

Yes, I'm not against hrt at all, I'm something of an advocate for it, especially for me.  But I was on a very high dose of estradiol for almost a year (one reason or another couldn't get to the surgery, or they couldn't offer an appointment, etc) and then went down with cellulitis and now this rather intractable fungal infection (though I admit, I was getting on top of it and then slackened with the cream, but at the same time I changed to the estradiol patch from the combined).

I know there's been some research into the contraceptive pill leading to infections being harder to treat.  Again I think its if there's an imbalance.

Just something maybe we should all be mindful of, and any medical people out there reading this.

I'm gradually reducing my estradiol down, hoping that this will improve things in general.