Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Interesting thoughts on sleep  (Read 830 times)

MrsMitch

Interesting thoughts on sleep
« on: April 21, 2023, 10:22:38 AM »

Well the title is probably misleading as you may not find my observations even remotely interesting  ;D
However I have been keeping a diary of my many menopausal symptoms and I'm starting to notice a pattern with my sleep - or should I say lack of it.
It is early days but since starting 4 pumps of oestrogen (a month earlier than my GP said I could) I have been getting some good nights. On those nights I only wake twice which is amazing. But what I'm seeing is those nights seem to run for 2 weeks out of 4. Looking back it does seem that even when I was waking constantly for about 3 years or so prior to HRT, every 2 weeks I seemed to wake less and the remaining 2 weeks it was every hour.
So I presume it's to do with what hormones I have changing throughout my cycle every 28 days.
While the 4 pumps is definitely helping, does any of the above indicate which hormone I'm most deficient in? Or is it still just everything.
I wanted to post what I've noticed in case it will help anyone else who sleeps badly. I'll certainly see what my GP says when I next speak to her.

Flossieteacake

Re: Interesting thoughts on sleep
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 10:32:48 AM »

That is very interesting. What a good idea it was to record your sleep.

I go through phases of not sleeping well but they seem to last a few months.

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 10:54:33 AM »

Hello Mrs Mitch.

I have kept a diary every since Meno began in the hopes that I would spot a pattern that made sense and help me manage my symptoms. I would always note symptoms as they happened rather than fill in the diary a few days later when my memory might be hazy.

In my case I haven't come up with any great revelations but I continue with my routine just in case something comes up.

My latest change is that in the last few weeks I have had some nights when I slept very well and even woke up feeling rested. This was a major improvement but inevitably it was followed by some nights of poor quality sleep again.

I think some other ladies have more success with their diaries and I am sure that your experience will be of interest to them.

Take care.

K.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 02:08:23 PM »

Mine was low oestrogen. Which part of the cycle corresponds to the good sleep?

MrsMitch

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 04:17:08 PM »

Thank you both for replying. It does seem to be that if you're fortunate to get a good night's sleep, it can be completely undone when followed by the inevitable bad night.
A friend of mine is having dreadful sleep at the moment. She's just in the middle of tons of tests but it seems on top of various reproductive issues, she's perimenopausal. Thing is, she's 34. Fortunately she has an amazing GP who is very keen to start her on HRT as soon as her tests are completed. She's just been given sleeping tablets which are an antihistamine and they knock her out.
Poor darling so wanted a family, too.

Sue1972

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 10:25:53 AM »

I am also trying to find a pattern when it comes to sleep.

The latest thing I am looking at is stress. I have a garmin watch and I think that when I record high levels of stress during the day my sleep is not as good as when I have a less stressful day.

It is early days but I do think I am seeing a pattern.

I also suffer from panic attacks so I am also hoping that I may find a pattern with regards stress and the frequency of those.

discogirl

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 04:03:38 PM »

hi mrs mitch

i just wanted to say its most helpful to have recoded your findings.

i may start to do the same.

its just helpful to know that we're not alone in this xxx

Polly

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2023, 07:09:56 PM »

Hello. I’ve also noticed that I sleep much better for two weeks out of four and it corresponds to when I’m taking progesterone which is known to help you sleep (I’m on cyclical HRT). Might be similar for you?