Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Foods to sustain us - Daily Telegraph 24 April  (Read 1768 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Foods to sustain us - Daily Telegraph 24 April
« on: April 26, 2023, 04:18:02 PM »

Steak, eggs, nuts and tofu - apparently  ::)

We eat meat, DH will occasionally have 2 rounds of toast with eggs which I am unable to tolerate - except in cakes which I have given up due to bloating.  For years we have 'eaten well' including chocolate, occasional alcohol [him], using a stick of 'twirl' as pudding - well, someone's got to  ;D

As well as plain Greek yoghurt - I eat a lot of LIVE yoghurt every day  8) . Apparently Greek yoghurt has 16g protein per 150g of yoghurt.
DH cooks meat-based evening meals often with stir fried veg., or when roasting adds lots of beets, spuds, yams, squash to a pan - any left overs can be added to soups

Any1 use whey powder  :-\ - I thought of that as something Body Builders would go for.

tempeh - totally new to me, never heard of it!
extra-firm tofu - is there any other kind  :D - I don't fancy either  ::)

Suggestion is to eat protein at every meal [Uni of Sheffield].  About 25-30g at 3 meals.   

Any1 eat chickpeas or did this idea go out with the Ark - something I vaguely remember from the 1960s  ::)

It is suggested for vegetarians/vegans that at least 1.1g protein per kg of body weight is eaten daily.  Add nuts, seeds, lentils, soy, quinoa, peas and beans ..... of which there is plenty of variety.  So there U go. 

Songbird

Re: Foods to sustain us - Daily Telegraph 24 April
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 06:54:16 PM »

Hmm...steak, eggs, chocolate, alcohol - check  ;D
Tofu?  :sick02:
I pop chickpeas into a lamb tagine. Bulks out the dish and takes on the spice and lamb stock flavours 😋
Tempeh and whey powder? Nope, don't fancy that. It doesn't even sound nice  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 06:51:25 AM »

Morning - do you soak the chickpeas first?  I don't like lamb ............  :-X

Songbird

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 08:34:30 AM »

Not going to lie CLKD, the chickpeas are out of a tin - already cooked - but I pop them into a sieve and give them a good rinse before popping into the tagine - it's really delish 😋.  You can substitute chicken thighs for the lamb 🤔

SarahT

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 12:29:37 PM »

I love chickpeas. Can't be doing with the soaking, so I use tinned as well.  Use the to make fritters, add them are to salad, just cos I like them, do a cassoulet with them if fun out of cannelleni beans. Versatile little devils really.
Nuts I use in rice salads, or a few as a pick me up. Put on weight very easily so I don't have too many.

Veggie, but have a horror of tofu. Whatever I did with it it just tasted of tofu. Better ways to get my protein.😁

Red lentils so easy to use. Make burgers,bolognaise, lentil bake,soups, can't be without a pack in the larder. No Angel though. There's always chocolate in the house..And twiglets, but only for emergency use you understand....

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 04:45:26 PM »

I love chickpeas.
Especially in a curry.
Tinned always.

C.C.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 04:55:32 PM »

We eat steak once a week, not a fan but I need the protein. I don't touch tofu (texture :sick02:) but I do like a good chick pea salad (canned and rinsed really well) with kidney and black beans, red onion, tuna, and a lemon vinaigrette. I only buy 0% greek yogurt, usually have it with fresh or thawed berry mix. I used whey powder (chocolate please) when I worked out regulary. I have yet to finish the container I opened awhile ago...oops.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 11:04:26 AM »

If the whey powder is dusty it will keep ;-)

:thankyou: